Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Better quality of life in Australia?

Better quality of life in Australia?

Old Aug 13th 2004, 2:12 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Better quality of life in Australia?

Originally Posted by possoms
Mate I couldn't have put it better myself The biggest part of our dream is to see as much of Australia as possible if not what is the point of going??? We will live on beans on toast all week then at the weekend get in our beaten up old camper van and traavelllll BRING IT ON. Oh and the cost well a tank of fuel a boot load o carlton cold and bangers for the barbie the result priceless.

Kay
Kay
Just curious
How are you going to do that from Tasmania?

G
Old Aug 13th 2004, 2:19 pm

possoms is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grayling
Kay
Just curious
How are you going to do that from Tasmania?

G
Why go on the ferry of course

actually the long term plan is to have a property on the mainland also aah if your gonna have a dream make it a big un!

Kay
Old Aug 13th 2004, 2:40 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by possoms
Why go on the ferry of course

actually the long term plan is to have a property on the mainland also aah if your gonna have a dream make it a big un!

Kay
Walkabout, on the wallaby, hump the bluey.
Old Aug 13th 2004, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
According to statistics, (I did a cut and past on it earlier), the average wage in Australia is just under $1,000 per week, some more, some less, but it averages at about $1,000.
But not the most common wage. Here is a quote from the Oz newspaper The Age of May 2004:

"A national survey last August found the most common wage for full-time employees was between $600 and $700 a week. Almost half earned between $400 and $900."

So, the most common wage is, say, $650 per week. And that is before tax etc.

Suddenly that $1,000 holiday is looking pretty expensive.
Old Aug 13th 2004, 5:01 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
But not the most common wage. Here is a quote from the Oz newspaper The Age of May 2004:

"A national survey last August found the most common wage for full-time employees was between $600 and $700 a week. Almost half earned between $400 and $900."

OK......for some of the pop. AFTER tax, 2 weeks wages = 2 weeks holiday. Still a relatively good deal. I'm sure there are lots of peeps in the world that would sign up for that, esp as the destination is bali. Go on spoil us and give us a comparison, How many weeks wages would the same holiday cost from the UK /??????

PS, yes I know its horses for courses. You can do france, greece, spain, italy, tunisia etc. a lot cheaper from the UK than we can do from OZ, but we're talking bali here.

PPS. I did egypt a few years back when I was based in UK and that cost me 3 week wages for 2 weeks holiday !!!!!!!
Old Aug 13th 2004, 11:43 pm
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by owieb
Yeah I know, I was replying to (quoted) their post #92 where they critised kong for daring to suggest that $1000 was a lot of money to people who live and work in Australia.

My point (and kongs as I read it) is that $1000 is a lot of money if you earn dollars, whatever you spend it on.
HERE HERE!!!

I thought i'd never miss europe being on my doorstep, full of French etc etc But its strange suddenly NOT having a choice.

As for oh "ITS BALI" has anyone else actually been there??? My Aussie friends (who are very well travelled and now live in W/A) hated it, they said it was tacky and in no way worth them leaving W/A for They said it was like the costa del sol in Asia!!! (anyone got any pics, cos i don't believe then either!!) So I guess you get what you pay for

We have now got a holiday account. Just as an example..............

WHAT WE THOUGHT FROM UK.... "cor look, its $65 to fly from Melly to QL. Thats only about £40 quid, ok so its each way, BARGIN!!! we could pop up there anytime"

(sounding familure??)

WHAT WE NOW KNOW............"We might go to Queesland next year kids." Its more like $100 bucks per way for school holiday flights, each way, so times that by 8, then theres the accomodation and passes for sea world etc etc. So we need at least a couple of grand. Its a bit out of our price range to pop up there all the time!!" (its kind of like a trip to a baby Florida, but without actually leaving the country or culture that you live in all year i suppose)

This coupled with 2 lots of rellies to entertain for a total of five weeks between time so taking time off work and trips out etc.

Begs the question will we have the hoiliday entitlement/time or money to actually go anywhere in this beautiful country

WHEN YOU'RE EARNING THE AUSSIE DOLLAR AND ALL OF YOUR ENGLISH QUIDS ARE SPENT THINGS SEEM EXPENSIVE!!

ps. Hope i'm not going to be called an ignorant prick cos i do actually live here and we are mortgage free and have an "ADVERAGE" salary :lecture:
Old Aug 14th 2004, 12:23 am
Banned

Originally Posted by hevs
As for oh "ITS BALI" has anyone else actually been there???

My Aussie friends (who are very well travelled and now live in W/A) hated it, they said it was tacky and in no way worth them leaving W/A for They said it was like the costa del sol in Asia!!! (anyone got any pics, cos i don't believe then either!!) So I guess you get what you pay for
Yep. Won't mention the good parts as that may lead to their desecration. Thankfully, the slobs prefer Kuta and each others company.
Old Aug 14th 2004, 12:27 am
Banned

Incomes, income distribution and tax take of the UK and Aus are very similar.
Old Aug 14th 2004, 3:31 am
Badge

Indeed. It never ceases to amaze me that people earn Aussie wages and still divide by three to arrive at some cost of living.

I never divide by three, and never did, even as a tourist.
I divided by three to work out how many pounds were leaving my bank account - but when I was first in Australia, I used to divide by 2, to get a kind of rough real cost of living, as I was earning GBP30,000 a year in UK and could expect AUS60,000 minimum wage in Australia.

The irony is, now I earn AUS100,000 a year and I do divide by three because I do earn 3 times as many dollars as I did pounds.(!)

BM

Old Aug 14th 2004, 6:25 am
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hevs
As for oh "ITS BALI" has anyone else actually been there??? My Aussie friends (who are very well travelled and now live in W/A) hated it, they said it was tacky and in no way worth them leaving W/A for They said it was like the costa del sol in Asia!!! (anyone got any pics, cos i don't believe then either!!) So I guess you get what you pay for
Yep, I've been there.
BALI MAP

Map of Bali Showing the Major Cities of Bali and Places of Interest

Downtown (Kuta) is horrible (and yes, Benidormy without the highrises) but once you get away from there Bali is delightful, if a bit touristy all over on the main drags.
Old Aug 14th 2004, 7:00 am
Banned

Originally Posted by The Don
Yep, I've been there.

Downtown (Kuta) is horrible (and yes, Benidormy without the highrises) but once you get away from there Bali is delightful, if a bit touristy all over on the main drags.
RedGum's Been To Bali Too:

Qantas flight 20, Denpasar, meals and accom', rent-a-car
I've been to Bali, I've been to Bali too

Took a two week course at a suntan clinic
So lying round legian and I wouldn't look anaemic
And you can't impress me, 'cause I've been to Bali too

Got a ride out to Kuta in the back of a truck
Cost me twenty dollars and it wasn't worth a buck
Hustled to a losman down Poppies Lane
By a Javanese guy in a tropical rainstorm
Lock up your daughters, I've been to Bali too

Life is tragic hanging out at Kuta
If you haven't got a car, a bike or a scooter
Show me the bike shop, I've been to Bali too

Got myself a Honda, had to get away
No brakes, bald tyres, five thousand rupes a day
I've been to Bali too.

Well I don't ride a bike much home in Australia
As a motorcycle hero guess I'm a failure
Bemos to the left, trucks to the right
The Honda was a wreck but I was alright
Hello mecurochrome, I've been to Bali too

Wired home for money, short of cash
A dose of Bali belly and a tropical rash
Daddy came through - American Express
Bali t-shirts, magic mushrooms, Redgum bootlegs
I've been to Bali too

Took my bag and mozzie coils to Peliatan
It's there were my Bali trip really began
Been there, done that, I've been to Bali too

Tourists from Holland, Britain and France
Late night puppet shows, leg on dance
Want to see my slides, I've been to Bali too

Well I wandered off to Ubud, just a little up the track
One week there didn't want to come back
Listening to Gamelon playing guitar
Janteris, tacos, Hotel Monara, two month visa
I've been to Bali too.

Flying Kangaroo out of Denpasser, left me camera in the airport bar
I've been to Bali, I've been to Bali too

Touch down, touch down Tullamarine
Sprayed me on the plane so I'd be real clean
Comin' though customs, I've been to Bali too

Went through my bags like McCartney in Japan
I didn't have a thing so I didn't give a damn
You can't trick me 'cause I've been to Bali too

You've been to Paris and you've been Boston
You've been to Fiji and you've been to London
But you can't impress me, 'cause I've been to Bali too
Old Aug 14th 2004, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quinkana
Incomes, income distribution and tax take of the UK and Aus are very similar.
My pre-tax income in UK is slightly more than 2x my Oz equivalent. And the difference is even greater after tax. I'm comparing Sydney vs London incomes.

In addition,housing aside, the cost of living in Oz and UK are similar.

But, as has often been said, you don't go to Oz for the money....which is just as well.
Old Aug 14th 2004, 8:54 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

My pre-tax income in UK is slightly more than 2x my Oz equivalent. And the difference is even greater after tax. I'm comparing Sydney vs London incomes.

But, as has often been said, you don't go to Oz for the money....which is just as well.
You go to America for the money, not Australia or the UK. Why fund welfare states if making money is your game?
Old Aug 14th 2004, 8:55 am
Banned

That's nice, Dear.

No, you wouldn't leave the UK for Aus for the money 'cause it's about the same.

Computer fiddling, right? Just had a look at SAP computer jobs - about the same London & Sydney - ~£70K London, ~$170K Sydney for better jobs.
Old Aug 14th 2004, 9:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quinkana
Computer fiddling, right? Just had a look at SAP computer jobs - about the same London & Sydney - ~£70K London, ~$170K Sydney for better jobs.
I'm sure one of our guardians of utopia will now confirm there is indeed a job advertised at $170K in sydney. But as a regular australian bloke I'd say they are few and far between. John Howard's on $160K a year so lets just apply a little common sense and be honest thats rare as hens teeth.

I cannot get these debates, why is there such a NEED to prove Australia has no faults,people will argue to the death that its perfect and wonderful in all respects. But take any handful of regular australians, we all have plenty to moan about, just like poms in the UK have plenty to moan about.

Whats the problem, why is admitting Aus has plenty of problems so hard for some people. Half the time people are having a kipper about "No its not like that, no way aus cannot have any bad going on etc etc" the very same issue is being admitted as a problem in any of the Australian newspapers. For $1.60 you will find the answer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.