Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Better quality of life in Australia?

Better quality of life in Australia?

Old Aug 14th 2004, 9:18 am
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Better quality of life in Australia?

Originally Posted by jad n rich
I'm sure one of our guardians of utopia will now confirm there is indeed a job advertised at $170K in sydney. But as a regular australian bloke I'd say they are few and far between. John Howard's on $160K a year so lets just apply a little common sense and be honest thats rare as hens teeth.

I cannot get these debates, why is there such a NEED to prove Australia has no faults,people will argue to the death that its perfect and wonderful in all respects. But take any handful of regular australians, we all have plenty to moan about, just like poms in the UK have plenty to moan about.

Whats the problem, why is admitting Aus has plenty of problems so hard for some people. Half the time people are having a kipper about "No its not like that, no way aus cannot have any bad going on etc etc" the very same issue is being admitted as a problem in any of the Australian newspapers. For $1.60 you will find the answer.
Not hard for me to admit its faults. Probably know them better than most people here. Just ask me to rhyme off a few. But it's my home country and I'm supposed to defend it, patriotism, citizenship, and all that.
Old Aug 14th 2004, 9:19 am
ABCDiamond

I cannot get these debates,
It's quite simple really...... One person says that Australia is the arse end of the world, and some others defend it to say isn't, and then the stakes rise.

Most posters that I read do say it isn't perfect, but they also say that they prefer it.

And yes, there are jobs down in Sydney at $170k or more. I was on 100k+ down there 10 years ago !

Old Aug 14th 2004, 9:21 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=jad n rich]
I cannot get these debates, why is there such a NEED to prove Australia has no faults,people will argue to the death that its perfect and wonderful in all respects. But take any handful of regular australians, we all have plenty to moan about, just like poms in the UK have plenty to moan about.

QUOTE]

What do you know anyway? You only live there

You obviously don't get the same TV programmes as we do in The UK

G
Old Aug 14th 2004, 9:24 am
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

I'm sure one of our guardians of utopia will now confirm there is indeed a job advertised at $170K in sydney.
Admittedly a cursory look over: CW Jobs compared to personal knowledge of the actual wages in the Sydney market - but there it is.
Old Aug 14th 2004, 9:59 am
Banned

John Howard's on $160K a year...
Actually $106,770 base salary + 160% Prime Minister's loading = $277,604 + ~$200K / yr superannuation for life + paid office and secretary + dozens of perks.
Old Aug 14th 2004, 10:07 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quinkana
Actually $106,770 base salary + 160% Prime Minister's loading = $277,604 + ~$200K / yr superannuation for life + paid office and secretary + dozens of perks.
Right
I think I will emigrate and apply for that job.

Who said jobs in Australia are badly paid?

G
Old Aug 14th 2004, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Quinkana
That's nice, Dear.

No, you wouldn't leave the UK for Aus for the money 'cause it's about the same.

Computer fiddling, right? Just had a look at SAP computer jobs - about the same London & Sydney - ~£70K London, ~$170K Sydney for better jobs.
I see that your second-rate acountancy skills are coming to the fore yet again. Ask your Aussie chums based in London where they earn considerably more money - UK or Oz? I don't recall anybody say "Right, I'm off to Oz to earn some real money!"

Get real. Almost all professional positions pay considerably better in UK than in Oz. Apart from acquiring some cash, Aussies and Kiwis come to Europe to travel, and broaden their horizons.

You should try it.
Old Aug 14th 2004, 4:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=MikeStanton]I see that your second-rate acountancy skills are coming to the fore yet again. Ask your Aussie chums based in London where they earn considerably more money - UK or Oz? I don't recall anybody say "Right, I'm off to Oz to earn some real money!"

Get real. Almost all professional positions pay considerably better in UK than in Oz. Apart from acquiring some cash, Aussies and Kiwis come to Europe to travel, and broaden their horizons.

You should try it.[/QUOTE

Mike....forget London and give us the rest of the uk... UK AVERAGES...
London wages don't reflect true Uk income capacity of the average Joe Public.
Old Aug 14th 2004, 4:50 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Quite right Muzza.
Try earning a decent wage in Cornwall for example.
Hardly any jobs in any walk of life reach the national average down here.
Old Aug 14th 2004, 5:18 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point

The point remains: to earn the equivalent of AUD150K in UK isn't at all rare, actually fairly commonplace if you are 40+ and have done OK in career/ business progression, whereas in Aus (or NZ even more so) that would be seen as a great salary.
Old Aug 14th 2004, 5:49 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
Right
I think I will emigrate and apply for that job.

Who said jobs in Australia are badly paid?

G

Go for the governors job in Tasmania, it pays $350,000 a year and all you do is
Old Aug 14th 2004, 6:47 pm
Bitter and twisted

Originally Posted by Bix
Quite right Muzza.
Try earning a decent wage in Cornwall for example.
Hardly any jobs in any walk of life reach the national average down here.
Bix
I suspect that the two countries are pretty similar in that respect.

Ther difference in The UK would be the number of biggish towns/cities which would support a wide range of different professions and thus a wide range of salaries.
I live in an old Quarrying town which is now quite 'upmarket' partly because of the Peak district but also because there are several IT companies who have moved here.
I don't know whether this happens in Australia.
Also from here you could commute to Nottingham, Sheffield, Derby, Manchester,Chesterfield,Mansfield Etc. etc.
You get my drift.
Cornwall is fairly distant from many major towns because of geography.

I suspect that in Australia the high salaries are mainly to be earned in a small number of cities. (I am not talking about Opal miners,mining engineers etc. as these are fairly concentrated in Australia anyway)

G
Old Aug 15th 2004, 12:13 am
Banned

Originally Posted by MikeStanton
I see that your second-rate acountancy skills are coming to the fore yet again. Ask your Aussie chums based in London where they earn considerably more money - UK or Oz? I don't recall anybody say "Right, I'm off to Oz to earn some real money!"

You should try it.
How about you ask your chums and report back re the highly specific example I gave - SAP ABAP computer fiddling - to support your third rate (non-Boolean fuzzy) logic. Even better, provide public domain examples.

No need to re-try it thanks.
Old Aug 15th 2004, 12:28 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MikeStanton

You should try it.

People in London HAVE to earn loads more than anywhere just to survive. The rent here, just for a small flat is similar in ££'s what you would pay in $$ for somewhere compariable in Oz....

We were living in Denham, which is in South Bucks, JUST inside the M25, so not even really in London but were still paying £750 per month for a small 2 bedroom apartment. In Melbourne, I had an inner city 2 bdrm apartment, just outside St Kilda and it cost me $800 per month. To get a house in London you are looking at minimum £1000 in the outter suburbs....then you have congestion charges if you work in London, the cost of food in London, the tube is terribly expensive if you travel through the peak hours, council tax that you have to pay whether you rent or own. Just because you earn more here, certainly doesnt mean you have a significantly better quality of life....I find its pretty much of a muchness....

Salary wise, I can only compare within my industry which is Recruitment. In Oz I can expect to earn anywhere from $40k+ as a basic plus commissions....Here, in London I have earnt from £15k + commission up to £21k + commissions.....cant see too much difference there....
Old Aug 15th 2004, 12:55 am
Badge

Originally Posted by Hels
People in London HAVE to earn loads more than anywhere just to survive. The rent here, just for a small flat is similar in ££'s what you would pay in $$ for somewhere compariable in Oz....
true - I would have to spend in pounds what I have just paid in AUS dollars to own a half decent 3 bed semi house in a decent London suburb, and I get paid more in dollars here than I earnt in pounds in London and I have an acre.

Also my mortgage is far less here, as I was able to use the FX rate to get a large deposit down. AUS1000 a month compared to maybe three times that in London.

It all depends though on when you bought, how much of a deposit you have.
You have to find the place for you that works.

BM

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.