Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Being Black In Australia

Wikiposts

Being Black In Australia

Old Jan 18th 2006, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Being Black In Australia

Originally Posted by andrew63
Of interest, the recent song "Gold Digger" (forgot the artist's name) featuring Jamie Foxx, had the "N" word chopped out a zillion times (amongst others) when it was a major part of the lyrics. At least this is true for Australia (Queensland?). Is it played in full version in the UK?
Censorship gone mad!

Andrew
We get the full version in 'the big smoke' (Melbourne) . Could have to do with which radio station it is (independent or not).
Old Jan 18th 2006, 2:32 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Right, so in Perth the abuse was from South Africans and in Sydney it was copycat ferral Aussies.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by renth
Right, so in Perth the abuse was from South Africans and in Sydney it was copycat ferral Aussies.
oh for god's sake...I said yes, I am sure there were South African's causing trouble but don't believe it was only them. If you want to carry on nitpicking then knock yourself out but I had an opinion and gave it and I'm done.

Last edited by Shellfish; Jan 18th 2006 at 2:46 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 2:46 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shellfish
oh for god's sake...I said yes, I am sure there were South African's causing trouble but don't believe it was only them. If you want to carry on nicpicking then knock yourself out but I had an opinion and gave it and I'm done.
How many Aussies would know what "kaffir boeties" were then?
Old Jan 18th 2006, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

How many Aussies would know what "kaffir boeties" were then?
Oh I don't know, a few that read the paper maybe!!! Why would a person who can speak Afrikaans and knows a myriad of insults use one that doesn't make any sense?
Old Jan 18th 2006, 2:51 pm
ABCDiamond

From that article:
The racial taunt emanated from the Bay 17 section of the SCG. The South Africans claimed at least one member of a group of drunken fans, highly visible in white T-shirts and fluorescent yellow caps, yelled the remark around 3.30pm.
An announcement warning against further racial abuse was made over the public address system.

Racist ? Yes.

Indicative of raciscm throught out Australia ? ??
How many were in the Stadium ? How many made racist remarks ? And take into account the official reaction of making the announcement against it.

Old Jan 18th 2006, 2:53 pm
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by Shellfish
Oh I don't know, a few that read the paper maybe!!! Why would a person who can speak Afrikaans and knows a myriad of insults use one that doesn't make any sense?
I don't know what you're getting at? The racial abuse was started by the South African "fans" in Perth and, by the looks of the link you posted earlier copied by Aussies in Sydney..

WACA security said they didn't throw anyone out of the ground because the abuse was all being shouted in Afrikaans and they didn't understand what was being said.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 4:21 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know what you're getting at? The racial abuse was started by the South African "fans" in Perth and, by the looks of the link you posted earlier copied by Aussies in Sydney..

WACA security said they didn't throw anyone out of the ground because the abuse was all being shouted in Afrikaans and they didn't understand what was being said.
I reckon in was Saffas & Aussies shouting abuse at the Waca. I reckon some Saffas were using those words & some Aussies copied them. There are a lot of 'old school' Saffas in Perth. Guys who came over years ago with big issues about race (I've met a few of them. On the 1st day of my previous job I got talking to a Saffa in the kitchen whilst making a cup of tea. He pointed to a tin of decaffenated coffee & said 'it's been de-kaffir-nated'. What a pr*ck, I'd known him for about 5 minutes & he came out with something like that). Shellfish is right when she said that the insult means nothing. Afrikaans is the best language I know to insult someone in. It really lends itself to it. They could have come out with some really insulting comments if they wanted to. Saying that, I've met a lot of really racist Aussies too & I mean really racist.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 6:49 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Being Black In Australia

Of interest, the recent song "Gold Digger" (forgot the artist's name) featuring Jamie Foxx, had the "N" word chopped out a zillion times (amongst others) when it was a major part of the lyrics. At least this is true for Australia (Queensland?). Is it played in full version in the UK?
Censorship gone mad!

Andrew
If it had been left in, we'd hear nothing but "Ah, there's that underlying racism in Australian culture; I always knew they were a bunch of ******* racists!"

Keep it out, and all we get is "Censorship gone mad!"

There's just no pleasing some people.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 6:50 pm
(It's not my real name)

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
If it had been left in, we'd hear nothing but "Ah, there's that underlying racism in Australian culture; I always knew they were a bunch of ******* racists!"

Keep it out, and all we get is "Censorship gone mad!"

There's just no pleasing some people.
They play the unedited version on Triple J.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 7:22 pm
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
In my area of rural mid north coast NSW I can categorically say you will get treated as though you have two heads. You won’t run the risk of any physical violence I don’t think but if you have an accent then prepare to get lots of snide comments. It’s bad enough for my white Scottish wife here and the only thing that could make their attitude to her worse is if she were black too. If I was black and thinking of coming to Australia I’d seriously think again based on the amount of overt racism I’ve witnessed both out in the streets, shops and also on the TV.

Mid NSW coast isn't the whole of Australia mate. I'm sorry for the treatment that your wife has recieved, however, I can assure you that there are plenty of us Aussies out there that a very tollerant of many cultures. Just because there are a few idiots out there that make stupid comments, it should not be reflected on all Australians.

ZX.....
Old Jan 18th 2006, 7:29 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Being Black In Australia

They play the unedited version on Triple J.
Well, they would.

Triple J has to maintain its "hardcore/independent/radical/anti-extablishment/non-mainstream" image somehow (mainly to distract its listeners from the painfully uncool fact that it's run by good old Aunty ABC!) and cheap shock tactics are generally considered the best way of achieving this in today's post-modern culture.

"Hey mate, you've just got to hear this radio station I've discovered; it's SO edgy and controversial; the DJs all talk dirty, and they play music with actual SWEARING in it! Your parents are gonna HATE it!"

"Yeah? Wow, that sounds SO good...! Hang on - it's not run by Rupert Murdoch though, is it? Because that would be, like, totally lame."

"Nah, it's run by... er... well actually, it's run by the ABC."

"Oh. Well... *sigh* OK mate, what's the frequency...?"

LOL...

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Jan 18th 2006 at 7:36 pm.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 8:03 pm
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zx10r_aus
Mid NSW coast isn't the whole of Australia mate. I'm sorry for the treatment that your wife has recieved, however, I can assure you that there are plenty of us Aussies out there that a very tollerant of many cultures. Just because there are a few idiots out there that make stupid comments, it should not be reflected on all Australians.

ZX.....
I was only refering to my rural neck of the woods where the rednecks won't think twice about mimicking your accent or calling you a wog. As for the rest of Australia I can only go by what I see on the TV same as the rest of you. The biggest difference I see here is the way the uk media differs from the Australian media, Back home if there is some kind of racial problem it is blasted on the news day after day and week after week and make the problem look and feel far worse than it really is. Here by contrast the media might pick up on the story and run it for a day or two at most then thats it, make the whole place *feel* much better not being told there is a problem every day. I for one believe the place is much worse than whats being portrayed, The media would rather run a story about Kylie or some boring sports article. Anyway luckily I'm not black and my accent is not a million miles from that of the locals so I don't suffer too badly except for an anti pom sentiment.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 8:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Censorship gone mad!

Andrew

That song has been played on all the mainstream radio stations here in Cairns, QLD, without being censored.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

steandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond reputesteandleigh has a reputation beyond repute

Arkon,

where is your 'rural neck of the woods'? Not an attack, just interested.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.