Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Being Black In Australia

Being Black In Australia

Old Jan 18th 2006, 12:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Being Black In Australia

My husband is half Vietnamese and has never encountered problems- in fact people are amazed at his very proper English accent mixed with his Asian look!

However one of my work friends is from South Africa and calls herself 'coloured' (I loathe that expression). She has settled in Geelong- a big town an hour away from Melbourne. She is one of few non-white people in Geelong, and says she does not like it there, as people stare and she has encountered a number of thoughtless, hurtful remarks. I am trying to persuade her to move to Melbourne where I think she would settle amazingly well. In my burb we have Lebanese, Greek, Vietnamese, Somalian, Sudenese, British, and even the odd Australian.

Basically I think in smaller towns (as in UK) people may react less favourably because you are not what they usually encounter, but in the cities (again like UK) no-one bats an eyelid about anything at all.

Go for it- Australia is a great place to live!
Old Jan 18th 2006, 12:44 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pomster
My husband is half Vietnamese and has never encountered problems- in fact people are amazed at his very proper English accent mixed with his Asian look!

However one of my work friends is from South Africa and calls herself 'coloured' (I loathe that expression). She has settled in Geelong- a big town an hour away from Melbourne. She is one of few non-white people in Geelong, and says she does not like it there, as people stare and she has encountered a number of thoughtless, hurtful remarks. I am trying to persuade her to move to Melbourne where I think she would settle amazingly well. In my burb we have Lebanese, Greek, Vietnamese, Somalian, Sudenese, British, and even the odd Australian.

Basically I think in smaller towns (as in UK) people may react less favourably because you are not what they usually encounter, but in the cities (again like UK) no-one bats an eyelid about anything at all.

Go for it- Australia is a great place to live!
I know what you mean about the term 'coloured' but in South African terms it means someone of mixed race, mainly people originally from the Western Cape who are a mixture of Dutch/Afrikaaner settlers & local Hottentot people (from 3 centuries ago). It is an accepted term over there & the people call themselves coloured.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 2:18 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

No problem out here being black but I wouldn't advertise the fact your English.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 2:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Pomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond reputePomster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bordy
No problem out here being black but I wouldn't advertise the fact your English.
or Scottish, come to that!
Old Jan 18th 2006, 2:23 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

or Scottish, come to that!

Heeyyyyyyyy Less of that you.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bordy
Heeyyyyyyyy Less of that you.

Why- are you Scottish Bordy?

Last edited by Pomster; Jan 18th 2006 at 2:56 am.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 2:28 am
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by CompressedA
I am black and British and thinking about living and working in Australia. However, I have heard a lot of negative stories about how unwelcoming it can be for people of colour. I would be greatful for people's honest reflections and/or experiences on this matter.

I would love to experience the country but do not want to put myself in any danger.
You are risking yourself if you come here...
LG - Lifes good (here)
Anyways you will be risking if you dont make a move to come here...
(You will not know what you will find here)

- Bart
Old Jan 18th 2006, 2:33 am
The Godfather

Why are you Scottish Bordy?

Och aye the noo hen.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 3:05 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

I am black and British and thinking about living and working in Australia. However, I have heard a lot of negative stories about how unwelcoming it can be for people of colour. I would be greatful for people's honest reflections and/or experiences on this matter.

I would love to experience the country but do not want to put myself in any danger.
In my area of rural mid north coast NSW I can categorically say you will get treated as though you have two heads. You won’t run the risk of any physical violence I don’t think but if you have an accent then prepare to get lots of snide comments. It’s bad enough for my white Scottish wife here and the only thing that could make their attitude to her worse is if she were black too. If I was black and thinking of coming to Australia I’d seriously think again based on the amount of overt racism I’ve witnessed both out in the streets, shops and also on the TV.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 3:22 am
Just Joined

ABOD has a brilliant futureABOD has a brilliant futureABOD has a brilliant futureABOD has a brilliant futureABOD has a brilliant futureABOD has a brilliant future

Try and take it all on the chin. I live in the Eastern suburbs of Sydney, where you can get the occasional comment, like 'what are the likes of you doing in here' etc. They are usually the ignorant louts no different to the ones you find back in the UK. Some of the comments can make you feel like you are in 70s Britain at times. However there seems to be a larger concern about the 'lebos' in this area than anything else. Oh and the term 'wog' is not in anyway considered derogatory over here, it is the term used to describe Southern Europeans, they use it themselves.

Nothing unsurmountable.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 3:41 am
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABOD
Try and take it all on the chin. I live in the Eastern suburbs of Sydney, where you can get the occasional comment, like 'what are the likes of you doing in here' etc. They are usually the ignorant louts no different to the ones you find back in the UK. Some of the comments can make you feel like you are in 70s Britain at times. However there seems to be a larger concern about the 'lebos' in this area than anything else. Oh and the term 'wog' is not in anyway considered derogatory over here, it is the term used to describe Southern Europeans, they use it themselves.

Nothing unsurmountable.
Bloody hell there is a movie called FAT PIZZA made here in Australia.

I There's all sort of comments about people who are from different religion, place and things even on Police dept..
And one Ausi Guy who like Labenese girls name Labense Lover makes me laugh...

ok you will see a hording in the movie...
"Police today
nabbing
Labenese"
next times its
"Police today
nabbing
Iraqis"...
Thats really funny..

But Australian's know to just smile at those jokes and dont care about what happened. Some stupid ass shit wherever they go, be it sydney, melb or Africa...
as I told.. you will loose either ways, whats harm in trying
- Bart
Old Jan 18th 2006, 4:30 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by BartSimpson
Bloody hell there is a movie called FAT PIZZA made here in Australia.

I There's all sort of comments about people who are from different religion, place and things even on Police dept..
And one Ausi Guy who like Labenese girls name Labense Lover makes me laugh...

ok you will see a hording in the movie...
"Police today
nabbing
Labenese"
next times its
"Police today
nabbing
Iraqis"...
Thats really funny..

But Australian's know to just smile at those jokes and dont care about what happened. Some stupid ass shit wherever they go, be it sydney, melb or Africa...
as I told.. you will loose either ways, whats harm in trying
- Bart
You've got a way with the words Bart, I'll give you that.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 4:44 am
Nos De Caraid...

Originally Posted by gedge
You've got a way with the words Bart, I'll give you that.
You are Bret Lee (as your post bounced)
Let me take it as complement from you
- Bart
Old Jan 18th 2006, 5:13 am
superam74

Hi, This is an excellent post for me. I've always wanted to know the answer to this question, but being white I didn't really know how to ask it. My wife is Jamaican, as is my 15 year old stepson & I also have a 3 year old son who is obviously mixed race .We are moving to Melbourne this year & I would cancel the whole thing if I thought they were going to get any 'different' treatment from me in Australia. I would love to add more to this post but I'm late for work. regards ,Pete.

Old Jan 18th 2006, 5:23 am
The Godfather

Originally Posted by superam74
Hi, This is an excellent post for me. I've always wanted to know the answer to this question, but being white I didn't really know how to ask it. My wife is Jamaican, as is my 15 year old stepson & I also have a 3 year old son who is obviously mixed race .We are moving to Melbourne this year & I would cancel the whole thing if I thought they were going to get any 'different' treatment from me in Australia. I would love to add more to this post but I'm late for work. regards ,Pete.

She will be made very welcome in Melbourne.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.