Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Being Black In Australia

Being Black In Australia

Old Jan 18th 2006, 5:37 am
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Being Black In Australia

Originally Posted by superam74
Hi, This is an excellent post for me. I've always wanted to know the answer to this question, but being white I didn't really know how to ask it. My wife is Jamaican, as is my 15 year old stepson & I also have a 3 year old son who is obviously mixed race .We are moving to Melbourne this year & I would cancel the whole thing if I thought they were going to get any 'different' treatment from me in Australia. I would love to add more to this post but I'm late for work. regards ,Pete.
Few of facts you should know:
1. After lots of analysis Researchers have found that there is no thing called race. Its a term which was coined for superiority.
2. All humans are decendeds of Adam and Eve, you are wrong... The origins of human beings was to be found in Africa then they scattered in different directions to become natives of some continents.
3. Dont kill me for this. The white skin is actually the defect of genes. The genes got contaminated with the evolution of man kind till date.
So dont worry the black skin is not a problen and white skin is still accepted in Australia
- Bart
Old Jan 18th 2006, 5:39 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BartSimpson
1. After lots of analysis Researchers have found that there is no thing called race. Its a term which was coined for superiority.
2. All humans are decendeds of Adam and Eve, you are wrong... The origins of human beings was to be found in Africa then they scattered in different directions to become natives of some continents.
3. Dont kill me for this. The white skin is actually the defect of genes. The genes got contaminated with the evolution of man kind till date.
So dont worry the black skin is not a problen and white skin is still accepted in Australia
- Bart
Wow - thanks for that awe-inspiring analysis of race-relations in 21st century Australia and the origins of the human race. I'm sure the OP will go hopping and skipping off to sunny Australia, safe in the posession of such great knowledge.

Old Jan 18th 2006, 5:45 am
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Hutch
Wow - thanks for that awe-inspiring analysis of race-relations in 21st century Australia and the origins of the human race. I'm sure the OP will go hopping and skipping off to sunny Australia, safe in the posession of such great knowledge.

I guess, theres some sarcasm \in your statment. I think you have taken too personally.
- Bart
Old Jan 18th 2006, 5:55 am
wayDownUnder

All this talk ,
black this white that makes be really depressed.

Being black in australia is the least of your problems if you move downunder.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=349039

Old Jan 18th 2006, 6:00 am

FluffyTheCampfireSlayer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hutch

PMSL
Old Jan 18th 2006, 6:15 am
Nos De Caraid...

Originally Posted by wayDownUnder
All this talk ,
black this white that makes be really depressed.

Being black in australia is the least of your problems if you move downunder.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=349039
Dude you dont seem to be a Newbie...
Old Jan 18th 2006, 7:08 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

So dont worry the black skin is not a problen and white skin is still accepted in Australia - Bart
I guess, theres some sarcasm in your statment. I think you have taken too personally. - Bart
Hello Bart

I've noticed something very strange with your posts.

As has happened above, your first post is very eloquent and relatively well written, and then the second reverts back to a less eloquently written post.

How does this happen?

How do you write in two different styles Bart?
Old Jan 18th 2006, 7:09 am
Nos De Caraid...

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Hello Bart

I've noticed something very strange with your posts.

As has happened above, your first post is very eloquent and relatively well written, and then the second reverts back to a less eloquently written post.

How does this happen?

How do you write in two different styles Bart?
Thats all we Russians are all about
ok I will give you kiss as you want... :<
Old Jan 18th 2006, 7:18 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats all we Russians are all about
ok I will give you kiss as you want... :<
See.....you're doing it again

You have spoken very eloquently above, and now you have reverted to broken / pigeon English again.

How do you do that Bart?

I'll only give you a kiss if you write with consistency

Unless you're a girl pretending to be a boy that is
Old Jan 18th 2006, 7:21 am
Nos De Caraid...

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Unless you're a girl pretending to be a boy that is
Mind you language mate.
Its all in here in the mind.
If you want you can do that too mate
Old Jan 18th 2006, 7:27 am
BE Enthusiast

wongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nicewongstonn is just really nice

Hi

I'm white, my wife is Chinese and we live near Melbourne. My best friend is black and lives in Sydney.

My wife has experienced no racism here and prefers here to the UK on all fronts including the UK.

My black friend has lived in WA for one year, and Sydney for about 8 years. Of Nigerian descent his skin tone is a relatively dark black. During stays with him I have noticed that some of the things said to him are not really very nice. Comments are like 'Is your dad Bill Cosby?'. My friend has a big personality and handles it remarkably well. I guess he is often confused with an aboriginal - though this is not a vaguely acceptable excuse. My friend still prefers Aus to the UK. I have noted that when I am with him, it is common that the first comment is the 'curt' one, and when he opens his mouth and they hear that Pommie accent it really surprises the other person, then they get curious, and then simply chat away. My friend has a personality that can wear this. He says it still happens though we don't talk about it much. He say says 'it bores him to talk about it.'

So in one sense, the eventual outcome is often being treated as an individual human - just as it ought to be. On the other hand the first 'comment' is sometimes frankly appalling. If his experience is to be yours, then I suppose it could be a question of your personality in dealing with this. He can, and he loves this country.

Hope this does not offend anyone. But when I came to this country I was worried about racism and my wife and mixed race daughter, and I think it is better just to say things as they are on these matters.

Neil
Old Jan 18th 2006, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

karenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud ofkarenjc has much to be proud of

I guess it's like what a few others have said it's like every other country. The only difference i have noticed is that the Aussies who are that way are quite loud about it. Each to their own i guess. I find if you give as good as you get you soon win them over. Don't let it scare you off, it's to good a country to not give it a go.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 7:45 am
Australia's Doorman

Hutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond reputeHutch has a reputation beyond repute

Dude you dont seem to be a Newbie...
I agree... one of the 'disappeared' posters reappearing under a new name I suspect ...
Old Jan 18th 2006, 8:45 am
Banned

spiral tribe is an unknown quantity at this point

I have not read all the replies to this thread as it is quite lengthy but I will give you my view on being black in Australia.

It is probably no different to being black in the UK other than your organic Aussie male is far more racist than their UK counterpart. I work in an all male environment and they tend to refer to black people as coons, Wog's, niggers, and other choice names.
For example today at work one of the lads was commenting on the area another lad was looking at buying a house in and told him not to but there as it is full of coons and they will drive the prices down over time.

Another example was last week when a few African looking blokes walked past the front of the workshop and one of the boys shouted "Quick, somebody throw a banana" Basically this is an ongoing thing amongst 20 something Aussie males and this is very sad.

By all means come to Australia and make a life for yourself but be prepared for racism on a more in-your-face scale than in the UK.
Old Jan 18th 2006, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

trehere is on a distinguished road

I had a intertesting conversation with an Australian just a few days ago as a 'black family' had moved into their neighbourhood. She had to teach her children that the children across the road were just the same as them, hurt when they were pinched, cried when they were sad etc. Basically her and her family had had no experience of any black people at work or school. Melbourne is hugely multi-cultural with many australian chinese, vietnamese, maylaysian and indian families but very few black. Everyone I've come across seems to be equally open and friendly though

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.