Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Being Black In Australia

Wikiposts

Being Black In Australia

Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:19 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Being Black In Australia

Originally Posted by Des
hi
wog is used as a nice word in oz not seen as offensive at all
Not true! My Aussie family are Italian migrants (remembering that 'wog' in Oz refers to Mediterranean folk, not 'black' people) and for them, wog can be a derogatory term depending on the context in which it is used and the person delivering it. I would be very careful of using the word 'wog' if treading in unfamiliar territory.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:42 am
Des
Des

Des is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really niceDes is just really nice

Originally Posted by HiddenPaw
Not true! My Aussie family are Italian migrants (remembering that 'wog' in Oz refers to Mediterranean folk, not 'black' people) and for them, wog can be a derogatory term depending on the context in which it is used and the person delivering it. I would be very careful of using the word 'wog' if treading in unfamiliar territory.
hi
i have italian/greek friends who live in melbourne who call themselves wogs and gave a very detailed explanation on its origins . here in the uk i was telling them it is very offensive. so i am basing my argument on my friends explantion. i also watched a comedy show done by some greek lady on tv in melbourne (greeks on the roof i think is the title)and she uses the term i think they call her "effy" (wrong spelling ).

i hope i did not offend you i should have included this in my post i guess

des
Old Jan 19th 2006, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

HiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond reputeHiddenPaw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Des
hi
i have italian/greek friends who live in melbourne who call themselves wogs and gave a very detailed explanation on its origins . here in the uk i was telling them it is very offensive. so i am basing my argument on my friends explantion. i also watched a comedy show done by some greek lady on tv in melbourne (greeks on the roof i think is the title)and she uses the term i think they call her "effy" (wrong spelling ).

des
No of course you did not offend me! My brother-in-law is first generation Aussie, but his parents migrated from Italy in the 1950s. They all live in Sunraysia which is a huge farming region of many Greeks & Italians. The elders especially find the term derogatory, the younger generation perhaps less so - but still much to do with context/delivery. (My brother-in-law is 36 and he does admit to hating to the term.)

There was a legal case in Melbourne a couple of years back where a Greek guy had taken some establishment to court for calling him a wog, and what he classed as being discriminated against because of his origin.

But yes, I know they can also take it well enough to take the p*** out of themselves - I used to watch the programme you refer to - and also Fat Pizza is pretty funny at times.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Des
hi

des
I am offended that you refer to that programme as 'comedy'

There is a movie called "wog boy" which stars a greek guy. My husbands friend moved to the UK and she constantly refered to herself as a 'wog' (her family is italian). my husband had to tell her not to use the term in the UK because it's offensive and I think she thought we were having her on.

Last edited by Shellfish; Jan 19th 2006 at 9:09 am.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Des
hi
actually there is an interesting thing about the perth africanners some left zimbabwe (then rhodesia) when mugabe came to power to go to apartheid south africa. when mandela came to power they left to go to perth as they could not stand a black man being their president. but not all africanners are bad there is a lot of nice people in perth
I agree. I've come across quite a few South Africans in Australia and New Zealand (where hubby comes from) and they've all been very friendly. Some have invited me into their homes. In fact, I might dare to suggest that some white South Africans are more drawn to black people in Australia because it's what they are familiar with. From what those I have met have said they would return home in a heartbeat if it wasn't for the violence and lack of safety back in South Africa.

PL
Old Jan 19th 2006, 9:43 am
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice

Originally Posted by Shellfish
I am offended that you refer to that programme as 'comedy'

There is a movie called "wog boy" which stars a greek guy. My husbands friend moved to the UK and she constantly refered to herself as a 'wog' (her family is italian). my husband had to tell her not to use the term in the UK because it's offensive and I think she thought we were having her on.
Yes it's really funny isn't it? "Wog" over here refers to anyone who is foreign and not from a WASP background - probably more especially to those of a Greek/Italian background rather than for black people of an African background. My friends who have an Armenian background often come out with remarks like "that is such a wog thing to do" e.g. about wearing tights with sandals. Another friend was showing me family photos with all the women wearing headscarves and she remarked "we look such a typical wog family".

PL
Old Jan 19th 2006, 10:21 am
Destination Sunshine

Location: Cornwall. Hoping to be going back to Brissie, maybe Redcliff,Deception Bay or Sunshine Coast.
Marie's big sister will become famous soon enoughMarie's big sister will become famous soon enough

My sister who was born in Brisbane went back to Queensland in June 2005. I was slightly worried as her husband is Jamacian and they they have two young boys. I remembered what a hard time the aboriginal kids had at school out there but then I was in school there from the mid sixties to mid seventies when we came back to England.

My fears were unfounded. Clive has landed a great job at the Sunshine Uni and Marie is often told how gorgious her boys are (and they really are). They have settled on the Sunshine Coast and love it. They have made loads of new friends and are invited out several times a week. They have encounterd no racism at all.

I think in general Queensland has come a long way since I last lived there. There are so many people living there and making lives for themselves from all over the world and from so many different cultures. In general Aussies are warm and welcoming and willing to give anyone 'a fair go'. Sometimes, what passes for humour over there would be considered very racist and unacceptable in the UK. But I think on the whole its not meant to be offensive.

I'm not saying there is no racism. As others have said, it is there as it is in all society's but just as everywhere else these brainless louts just have to be ignored by tose of you lucky enough to have a perminant tan and slapped down sharply by those of us who are not. Unfortunatley, in Australia, those that are racist are loud and proud of their warped veiw of the world. Aboriginals definately tend to have a hard time - rich considering we nicked their Country etc, no wonder many live from dole cheque to dole cheque and get drunk on the little they have. I know they should get an education and go out and work for a living but sometimes their situations and the barriers they face can seem to them to be unsurmountable.

If you want to make the move, go for it. There are risks in everything we do in life. It may simply not be for you, as its not for the many (whatever their colour) who come back to the UK each year. But don't leave yourself wondering 'what if' just because of the colour of your skin. If you are open and friendly, positive and willing to 'give it a fair go' you will be 'given a fair go' in return by the vast majority.

And the small town thing, well that happens everywhere. We live in Cornwall, not many non whites (although more in the last few years). When Clive and Marie visited us here we could always find them if they had wondered off somewhere. We just had to ask someone whether they had seen a black guy and they could usually tell us exactly where they were. Not that it was racist, it was just that he stood out as they were not used to seeing anyone that was not white very often.

Life is for living. If you have the opportunity and want to take it, you should go for it. Besides, its a huge place. If things are not too good in one place for whatever reason, you could try to settle elsewhere. What a great time you could have exploring that fantastic country! You are bound to find somewhere that you love.

Go for it!

Good luck whatever you decide.

Susan.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 10:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Princess Leia
In fact, I might dare to suggest that some white South Africans are more drawn to black people in Australia because it's what they are familiar with.
I always get excited when I see a black person in Aus (which isn't very often) and have to stop myself from just going up to them and starting a conversation. Black people in SA are always very hospitable and have no problems with having a conversation with a stranger whereas the 'whites' are far more introverted.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 11:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shellfish
I always get excited when I see a black person in Aus (which isn't very often) and have to stop myself from just going up to them and starting a conversation. Black people in SA are always very hospitable and have no problems with having a conversation with a stranger whereas the 'whites' are far more introverted.
This always gets me when I go home to SA, how friendly black people are there. Very few have any issues with what went on in the past. Sure there is a minority making the place unliveable because they are incredibly violent but the majority just want to get on with their lives. But isn't that always the case, a minority spoil it for the majority? Compare this to the Aborigines in Australia who are a broken people. The only ones you see are either drunk or begging, they never make eye contact with you, most are in a complete mess, you never see any working in shops, offices etc. I know the reasons for this are many & varied & the issues are complex, but the difference is stark.
Old Jan 19th 2006, 11:42 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Des
hi
actually there is an interesting thing about the perth africanners some left zimbabwe (then rhodesia) when mugabe came to power to go to apartheid south africa. when mandela came to power they left to go to perth as they could not stand a black man being their president. but not all africanners are bad there is a lot of nice people in perth
Correct, I didn't mean to "tar them all with the same brush" if you forgive the expression.

In fact some of my best friends here are Afrikaaners - oh sh*t! I've done it again!
Old Jan 19th 2006, 12:28 pm
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BartSimpson
1. After lots of analysis Researchers have found that there is no thing called race. Its a term which was coined for superiority.
- Bart
Look now what you need to know.
Check ABC channel there is a program about Race. I am not sure its this Sat or Monday, I think its on Monday.
just check it yourself..
Good luck.

Bart
Old Jan 19th 2006, 9:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CompressedA
I am black and British and thinking about living and working in Australia. However, I have heard a lot of negative stories about how unwelcoming it can be for people of colour. I would be greatful for people's honest reflections and/or experiences on this matter.

I would love to experience the country but do not want to put myself in any danger.
Hi,

I'm of Indian decent but born and bred British.
I lived in Oz for a year in 95.

All I can say is that I didn't 'notice' any racism towards me anywhere in Oz.
Infact...in many places, locals seemed more intigued than anything untoward.

I can never forget my fist day working at Arnotts biscuit factory in Adelaide.
One of the women workers jokingly shouted out at me over the production line (in earshot of about 8 other workers) " Mate....show us your big black donger!"

(and no...I didn't try to prove the matter to her....has anyone seen the women on Prisoner Cell block H?)

So make of it what you will. The closest I likened some of the Oz attitude of race is similar to what I've encountered with the Irish....intrigue sometimes borderlining ignorance...but never nasty.

However...hearing of the events in Cronulla...maybe things have changed since 95...and are different if you scratch beneath the surface

TC
(average brown donger)
Old Jan 19th 2006, 9:47 pm
Account Closed

suzy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Princess Leia
Yes it's really funny isn't it? "Wog" over here refers to anyone who is foreign and not from a WASP background - probably more especially to those of a Greek/Italian background rather than for black people of an African background. My friends who have an Armenian background often come out with remarks like "that is such a wog thing to do" e.g. about wearing tights with sandals. Another friend was showing me family photos with all the women wearing headscarves and she remarked "we look such a typical wog family".

PL

Now this and other posts explain alot.

My husband has very olive skin and jet black hair although he is English. He looks Italian/Greek/Spanish and at one of his companies was known as Nico the Greek. I am fair skinned and blonde and although born and bred in London do not have English parents.

When we went to Perth we met some Ozzies through a friend and after finding out we were planning to emigrate one of the women said to me

"You're brave marrying a wog and emigrating with him" :scared:

We were laughing our heads off thinking if only she knew who was of English parentage and didn't take offence at all.
Old Jan 20th 2006, 11:35 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
LOL, Says the man who is always giving baseless generalisations about the UK and its houses for one.

And I don't rubbish all aspects of Australian life, just all aspects as they relate to me, If the shitty boot fits wear it.

You give Baseless generalisations too...

ZX......
Old Jan 20th 2006, 3:21 pm
Banned

spiral tribe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
Mood for a fight hardly! The guy's reply was pretty even, one of the more so in response to a dig. He didn't like the generalisation that's all.
I was actually not wanting to drag it up but I am getting bored with reading posts from Vash rubbishing all aspects of the UK yet he lives there, as you are acting as his spokesperson I will reply to you.

The guy has nothing good to say about anything British but if anyone dare slag off Australia he blazes in like a manga cartoon here

Life is too short to argue about the small stuff like this anyway so i will now unsubscribe from this thread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.