Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

BBC - Wanted Down Under

BBC - Wanted Down Under

Old Jan 31st 2007, 9:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
They weren't really swimming 'far' out, they were being towed behind a boat on a big rope.

They looked a bit like shark bait (especially in Adelaide)
OMG It just gets better and better Ive got the flippin jaws music in my head now.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 9:06 am
Banned

graciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Australia_bound?;4343544]Dear me! Fraser, I thought you'd have known by now any criticism of Aus is frowned upon! and if you say any different you're a whinging Pom [/QUOTE

here here very well said
Old Jan 31st 2007, 9:12 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jad n rich
OMG It just gets better and better Ive got the flippin jaws music in my head now.
shark bait oo ah ah
shark bait oo ah ah
Old Jan 31st 2007, 9:16 am

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=graciebluecat;4344995]
Originally Posted by Australia_bound?
Dear me! Fraser, I thought you'd have known by now any criticism of Aus is frowned upon! and if you say any different you're a whinging Pom [/QUOTE

here here very well said
Sorry, but he was being ironic, to you
Old Jan 31st 2007, 9:26 am
Banned

graciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant futuregraciebluecat has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Hello Gracie,thanks for replying and don't worry about the way you type, although your posts can be hard to understand without cap's and fullstops.

It was your post #442 on this thread that started the alarm bells ringing for me. To be blunt, we've probably all heard it before and been guilty of it too. The 'oz is going to be so wonderful' syndrome. That's it, that's all I wanted to say.
hi st georges girl,MY POST 442 was a good post on explaining why its a good reason to leave britian, and why i want to leave britain and i think alot of people on here would agree with me on it.

There is no oz syndrome on my post,

Its an honest view of britain today,I do not think or have the oz wonderful syndrome either alot of people do i know.Everwhere has its fair share of crime & poverty, same as here, things dont always go to plan.In oz you got Deadley insects sharks bla bla bla....but ..there are pro's and cons to everything but in my box not alot of cons but deffo pros to go to oz...but and a big but

just think if people are going to compare everything to back home as they prefer the pubs or the fish and chips the football and what ever else.Its that it winds me up....not everything will be to everyones taste but get on with it,ADAPT too many whinging poms give us a bad name,that is well known.I remember going to greece on holiday seeing footie fans with their proud to be british kit on spending everyday watching footie in the bars,not seeing the beach ot visiting the sights, not mingling with the greks just pissing it up and footie.....why go to greece!!!!!......people like that should stay here in the uk not emigrate.....

Its not britain with the weather. Not everything is greener on the other side I know ,I was very impressed with todays show, the couple who looked at adelaide, as a guy never been away from heartfordshire,he took to adelaide and oz like a duck to water......accepted the fish and chips there,took to his job better than he thought was offered a job on the spot......better house than an ex council house they had back home, very adaptable very good show.

from a life style prospective we could have a better life in oz better home, better weather.Better future for kids, thats what I am concerned about, certainly not that the tea is better in uk syndrome,

Or i will miss my friends and family syndrome .I have got lets get out there and start a better life sydrome I hope you are enjoying your life in perth.its got to be better than mine here. SORRY FOR THE LONG POST I AM A CHATTER BOX

Last edited by graciebluecat; Jan 31st 2007 at 9:48 am.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 9:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

Watched yesterday's show last night. Was very confused. At the beginning of the show the woman who was going said her ideal home would have a pool and have a sea view, and yet she chose the rural option??? I think on Libby's post she said they were told where they were going before they got to Australia house, and it had already been arranged. I watched closely last night, and did notice Nadia kind of encouraging them to choose option 3, and gushing about the lovely the woman running the hairdressers and she felt the woman going had "picked up a vibe" (or something like that) from the hairdresser on the TV, and then the woman going (sorry I forget their names) said how she wanted to live in the Country (having already said she wanted a sea view), (by the way, I loved the sales pitch of the Hairdress in the rural community, apparently they get clients in who smell of cow manure)

Anyway, they arrive in NSW and rent a flat in Bondi (yes a nice rural community there!) one and a half hours drive from the job she chose

They looked at properties by the sea, although there was one in the country, and spent their time looking at Sydney's attractions

No rural community to see at all

The woman on the show was worrying that she would not be able to afford to live the life she wanted on a rural hairdressers wage, which isn't surprising.

So to summarise the programme, they were going to buy a house near Sydney, on the coast, which was going to cost them in the region of 600,000 - 700,000 dollars, but commute one and a half hours into a rural community for a job, when she could work in the city for much more - I think not.

Its like buying a house in London, but thinking you will be able to afford to pay for it while working an hour and a half's commute away in a small rural village, when you could get a job down the road for much more.

What are the BBC up to.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

chrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of lightchrispy is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dollydaydream2
Watched yesterday's show last night. Was very confused. At the beginning of the show the woman who was going said her ideal home would have a pool and have a sea view, and yet she chose the rural option??? I think on Libby's post she said they were told where they were going before they got to Australia house, and it had already been arranged. I watched closely last night, and did notice Nadia kind of encouraging them to choose option 3, and gushing about the lovely the woman running the hairdressers and she felt the woman going had "picked up a vibe" (or something like that) from the hairdresser on the TV, and then the woman going (sorry I forget their names) said how she wanted to live in the Country (having already said she wanted a sea view), (by the way, I loved the sales pitch of the Hairdress in the rural community, apparently they get clients in who smell of cow manure)

Anyway, they arrive in NSW and rent a flat in Bondi (yes a nice rural community there!) one and a half hours drive from the job she chose

They looked at properties by the sea, although there was one in the country, and spent their time looking at Sydney's attractions

No rural community to see at all

The woman on the show was worrying that she would not be able to afford to live the life she wanted on a rural hairdressers wage, which isn't surprising.

So to summarise the programme, they were going to buy a house near Sydney, on the coast, which was going to cost them in the region of 600,000 - 700,000 dollars, but commute one and a half hours into a rural community for a job, when she could work in the city for much more - I think not.

Its like buying a house in London, but thinking you will be able to afford to pay for it while working an hour and a half's commute away in a small rural village, when you could get a job down the road for much more.

What are the BBC up to.
Must admit, i was a bit confused too, given that the woman had said they wanted a house for about 650,000 dollers which was modern with lots of metal... they then got showed one house of more than a million and two oldy worldy wooden houses.. no wonder they thought the Uk was better for houseing
Old Jan 31st 2007, 9:55 am
In my own little world!

belleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to beholdbelleandscone is a splendid one to behold
Unhappy Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Well, I am now completely bored with WDU, it is infuriating, very uninformative and repetative, I've got to agree with you Dollydaydream - they choose the country but then they show everything but the country (only the job), the programme is very bitty and confusing. The worst bit is when they show somewhere you have been, for us that is Brisbane, they seem to think that Brisbane and the goldocast are the same place and they just arent, the families who chose the Gold Coast they showed more of Brisbane and visa versa.

I think we should mass email the BBC and tell them to get this drivel off the tele there is no way I am going to be watching the next however more episodes, this is no use to people wanting to emmigrate. They could have made a much better programme using 5 families and spending more time on each and providing more relevant information.

Rant over
Clairex
Old Jan 31st 2007, 10:09 am
Banned

I agree on the shows

todays show too didnt make sense, reason being,they picked the beach option, but first property was rural????? the couple who lived in heartfordshire, had a £275,000 house in uk, said they would have £150,000 to spend after selling it.......the first house they looked at was £275,000 surely the would have to borrow alot to add up to £275,000 and on a mortgage of £125,000+they would not be able to afford on a mechanics wage of £200/£300 per week she is expecting and three young kids she would not work.So how and why does the show take them to look at properties out of their price range.and not by the beach..

I guess to show them what they could get for the same value of their house back home.

the last house they loved....wow....£170,000 yes please I am coming to adelaide to buy it.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 10:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Dolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of lightDolly is a glorious beacon of light

I have to agree, it could have been done a lot better. I live in Ireland and they are showing a programme here called The Great Escape on RTE which shows families which are leaving Ireland for other countries. Last week they followed a family moving from Dublin to Brisbane, and I thought it was very good. They followed the family for almost a year, leaving Ireland and starting work and finding a house in the Brisbane suburbs. It was a much more positive show to watch. A bit like A New Life Downunder, without all the arguing

Dolly
Old Jan 31st 2007, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Coppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of lightCoppock is a glorious beacon of light

I remember a series called "A New Life Down Under", on sky last summer. I thought that was quite informative at the time, it focused just on one family at a time without much repetition. . . and no dodgy onion ring nadia necklace!

I thought today's show in SA was good, the family seemed very . . . whats the word . . . sort of down to earth. Really felt connected with it today, the whole doing it for the kids and stuff. Also wanted to cry when she was upset bout leavin her mum. Sad aren't I!!! Would be interested to know how many months pregnant she was though, thought you couldn't fly after 28 weeks?

Loved the houses that they showed, although I relled my eyes with the whole "the family wants to be mortgage free, so want a house for less than £150k, so the first house we showed them is fab and £250k . . ."

Someone needs to sack the currency converter!!! BBC probably have some poor year 10 doin work exp, here's a calculator, estimate £150k into AUS $, then convert these AUS $ house prices back into GBP, now add them together, divide and times by 100. Ohhhh look!!!! They match, these are soooo in the £150k budget . . . . ?

We should buy that kid some chocolate, poor thing.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 10:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by graciebluecat
I agree on the shows

todays show too didnt make sense, reason being,they picked the beach option, but first property was rural?????
They joy of Adelaide, city, beach, rural, 30 mins between them all. i.e you can see the sea from the rural.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 10:42 am
BE Enthusiast

gidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud ofgidxg03 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dollydaydream2
I live in Ireland and they are showing a programme here called The Great Escape on RTE which shows families which are leaving Ireland for other countries. Last week they followed a family moving from Dublin to Brisbane, and I thought it was very good. They followed the family for almost a year, leaving Ireland and starting work and finding a house in the Brisbane suburbs. It was a much more positive show to watch. A bit like A New Life Downunder, without all the arguing
Dolly
I'm living in Ireland as well and that was a great show. Again though not real enough for me as she had a sister and parents out there. I swore if she said it again that it would be very difficult for someone to move out here without knowing anyone I'd jump on a plane and smack her across the head. Was a great show though. They had loads of equity from selling their home in Dublin so again it wasn't as applicable to most of us heading with smaller equity.

I recorded the show to DVD for my mother. If there is enough interest, and if it's not too difficult to do, I'll rip the DVD and upload it to the internet for expats.com members.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 10:44 am

cinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud ofcinderella has much to be proud of
Smile Re: BBC - Wanted Down Under

Dear Libby1971,

Well I thought your programme was a good one. At last we saw into a school. Shame the BBC didn't show your children in the classroom as well. The head teacher seemed to warmly welcome you and your family, which was really nice to see. Your kids were lovely, well behaved, polite children, a credit to you. Who cares about the other things.
I hope your are able to find the right job for you and that you are all happy when you make the big move.

Best wishes to you all.

Last edited by cinderella; Jan 31st 2007 at 10:52 am.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

Phil & Chele has a spectacular aura aboutPhil & Chele has a spectacular aura aboutPhil & Chele has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by gidxg03

I recorded the show to DVD for my mother. If there is enough interest, and if it's not too difficult to do, I'll rip the DVD and upload it to the internet for expats.com members.
I would be interested in seeing !! Thanks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.