Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Average Time for Securing a Job

Average Time for Securing a Job

Old Aug 30th 2006, 1:39 pm
Forum Regular

nomayaja has a spectacular aura aboutnomayaja has a spectacular aura aboutnomayaja has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Average Time for Securing a Job

We've been in Perth 2 months now. Before moving to Australia my husband was working for an large pharmacutical company as a IT Infrastructure Manager which he quit to come here. He's applied for loads of jobs mainly on SEEK and has had lots of interviews with recruitment companies but none with the actual companies yet. The recruitment companies say he has an impresive CV but in Perth things take time and we must be patient. Apparently who you know and where you've worked locally is important. He's more hardware and there seems to be alot more jobs available in software. It seems that if you know Cisco or SAP you'll have no problem. Also, another thing alot of companies ask for is Project Management which he has alot of experience in but they want the Certificate so now my hubby is looking into doing a Project Management course just to get the Certificate. I on the other hand was a stay at home mum for 6 years and did secretarial work before that. I managed to find temp jobs really easily. If anyone wants info on the temp recruitment company I use let me know. They're the only ones out of the 4 I sent my CV to that actually found me jobs. I'm currently temping as a PA to 3 senior managers at a big engineering company. They're having problems finding employees in the engineering field (Project Management, Planners, Project Engineers, etc. I'll get the list and post it tomorrow if any of you are interested).

We're going to sit it out in Perth for a bit longer then hubby will start applying for jobs on the east coast. One recruitment company told my husband that alot of people in IT (not including software) had trouble finding jobs in Perth so took jobs in Brisbane, Adelaide or Sydney and after they had "Australian experience" they had no problems finding jobs in Perth.

I hope I haven't depressed any of you but thought I'd let you know how it's been for us.

Marina xx
Old Aug 30th 2006, 9:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

suebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to beholdsuebrennan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Pollyana
State police will take you with PR, or for temporary jobs even on temp visas. Sounds like Sue has been applying for much the same as me - police intelligence unit stuff, as opposed to National Security Intelligence
Hi Pollyana

Did not realise that you were also trying to get into a nick. To be honest I have gone right off the idea of working for the police here - will try and do something else. I have only appled for one intelligence role as per previous post. Could really do with doing a bit of it training as my skills are rusty - you tend to use word/excel in a very specific way and the very exciting recruitment tests here want a complete allrounder which I am not. What police force did you work for???

Sue
Old Aug 31st 2006, 4:26 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jossy
Good Luck Chels, Keep Smiling and Keep Believing

Fingers crossed for ya

Still not a dicky bird from the recruitment agency - I will have to stop being so pathetic and call them up to find out for definite, one way or another, if I've got the job or not. If the company has mind its mind up, that is.

I really don't enjoy the job seeking process over here