Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Average Time for Securing a Job

Average Time for Securing a Job

Old Aug 28th 2006, 11:58 pm
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Average Time for Securing a Job

Originally Posted by cool_archie
Hello Everybody,

Just would like to know what is the Average time it takes to secure a decent job in AUS
once you move permanently, for someone having Technical Skills in IT and about 10 years of experience.

Regards,
Hi.

I've had two job interviews and one offer and the other job moving to third interview (with the CEO) and more than likely job offer. I started looking about 1.5 weeks ago and I am in Brisbane.

Mind you, I am in IT and I had to do a mini-project for the latter, which took me two days and incorporated things like design patterns for re-use and loose-coupling as well as UML diagrams, test harnesses, blah, blah, blah.......

Hope this helps.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 12:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossifumi
I start 2 weeks today. After 17 applications plus 6 speculative and 5 interviews all has come good.

I had one interview which lasted 2 hours including a guided tour in which I didn't get offered the job.
Reason: Very strong but lack of commercial airline experience. Well hello, you knew this before I set foot in the interview.

Another position I went for, the company withdrew the position post interviewing of 4 candidates.
The good ideas club had got together and decided they required a new position, interviewed 4 people then decided shit do we really need this new position!! Unbelievable!

Don't you just love the recruitment process out here
Old Aug 29th 2006, 12:21 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by WendyC
You just have to love it!

A certain aviation company who showed absolutely no interest in me have this morning left a message on the answerphone enquiring if I would like to come forward for an interview.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 12:21 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, but I'm glad I'm out of it now...

S
Old Aug 29th 2006, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rossifumi
You just have to love it!

A certain aviation company who showed absolutely no interest in me have this morning left a message on the answerphone enquiring if I would like to come forward for an interview.

Hubby had a medical last week. It took nearly two hours he's said next time time they ask do you mind having a medical, he's gonna tell them to get stuffed. (of course he probably won't )
Old Aug 29th 2006, 2:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Deciding not to fill a role, or change a role, happens everywhere. It was rife in IT in Western Europe. I remember waiting 2 months and we were preferred clients, supposed to be placed almost out of hand.

Took me 6 weeks to get a job, and I wasn't trying that hard to be honest.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 3:58 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

I get the impression here that taking references is seen as a standard part of the interview process, and not necessarily something they do just to confirm that their preferred choice of candidate is what they say they are and can do what they say they can do.

What I mean is - I interviewed for a job last week, three other candidates, they are getting references for all four candidates and will make their choice based on those (as 2 interviews, a test and a 6 page submission wasn't enough for them). Interviewers should be able to select someone after interviews, tests etc!

This is an annoying way of doing things. Every time I go for a job, I have to warn my referees they may be contacted etc, usually they are, and they are busy people!

I wish I didn't have to keep being interviewed for jobs, and the subsequent reference checks, but I'm trying the double whammy at the moment of applying for permanent roles AND more senior positions. And usually someone has more australian experience / seniority than me

Originally Posted by jossy
Does anyone know the full process out there for recruitment.

I have had

Telephone interview 1.5 hrs
Video conference interview 2 hrs

References called for being taken up this week

Are they likely to pull out now unless references are really bad and what are the next stages.

I don't want to assume its the same as here and references unless really bad means you're almost there?

Cheers in advance, good luck to everyone with their hunting of jobs

Jossy
Old Aug 29th 2006, 4:31 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by chels
I get the impression here that taking references is seen as a standard part of the interview process, and not necessarily something they do just to confirm that their preferred choice of candidate is what they say they are and can do what they say they can do.

What I mean is - I interviewed for a job last week, three other candidates, they are getting references for all four candidates and will make their choice based on those (as 2 interviews, a test and a 6 page submission wasn't enough for them). Interviewers should be able to select someone after interviews, tests etc!

This is an annoying way of doing things. Every time I go for a job, I have to warn my referees they may be contacted etc, usually they are, and they are busy people!

I wish I didn't have to keep being interviewed for jobs, and the subsequent reference checks, but I'm trying the double whammy at the moment of applying for permanent roles AND more senior positions. And usually someone has more australian experience / seniority than me
Warning referees, tell me about it!
Old Aug 29th 2006, 4:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
Deciding not to fill a role, or change a role, happens everywhere. It was rife in IT in Western Europe. I remember waiting 2 months and we were preferred clients, supposed to be placed almost out of hand.

Took me 6 weeks to get a job, and I wasn't trying that hard to be honest.

I can't help but think that my OH would do better if he actually APPLIED for some jobs. I've sent his CV of to 3 places, one he's had an interview for, one we never heard from and the other was an agency (won't hold my breath for that one!!)

Of course the main thing for us is that we are waiting on the TRA to give him either the electrical fitter or mechanic certificate, when that happens we can go onto the next step and apply for a licence.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 4:44 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

I can't help but think that my OH would do better if he actually APPLIED for some jobs. I've sent his CV of to 3 places, one he's had an interview for, one we never heard from and the other was an agency (won't hold my breath for that one!!)

Of course the main thing for us is that we are waiting on the TRA to give him either the electrical fitter or mechanic certificate, when that happens we can go onto the next step and apply for a licence.
Some agencies take up to 6 weeks to come back - in terms of my wife a potential employer even felt to insecure to call her referees because they are the leading researchers in her field of respiratory diseases. OMG what can she do if they are too afraid to pick up the phone or let alone use the email.

Guess she will have to drop the bit about her academic publications and her PHD and perhaps her Masters.
Old Aug 29th 2006, 12:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

matt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond reputematt-and-jenny has a reputation beyond repute

One week. Not in my chosen field though. I have a biochemistry degree and I was working in forensics. I have done a bit of work as an optical mechanic (spectacles-maker) in the UK, and found it easier to get a job in optics because over here it's more of a skilled trade (you can do a TAFE course and apprenticeship). I rang a few places before I got here, and they told me to get in touch when I got here. This led to getting a few contacts, but in the end I got the job just by handing out my CV around town. Big weight off the mind getting a job so quickly. Still looking to get back in forensics but that's more due to laziness on my part more than anything.

(Matt)
Old Aug 29th 2006, 2:27 pm
Sydney- North Shore

jjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant futurejjonboy has a brilliant future

took the mrs 2 days to get a temp job (senoir-ish admin) and then about 2-3 weeks each time since. She found it hard to get a "job of choice" to start with and had to do a year of jobs with 2nd or 3rd tier companies first to get that seemingly vital local experience.... Now has a good job and much better wage than UK
took me 2 weeks to get a temp "will do for now" type job and 8 weeks to get first "proper" job. Same again they took the p*ss with the salary to begin with, but over 2 years i got it back to where it should be plus some to make up for the first few months. Now just changed and got a job of choice after 3 years on a very good salary (building surveyor/ Construction project manager)

Expect to have to prove your worth or even sell yourself cheap at first to get into the company you want to work for. it gets easier and comes good in the end..........
Old Aug 29th 2006, 2:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjonboy
it gets easier and comes good in the end..........
I wish my Witchy kit had a crystal ball to tell me how far away "the end" is......
Old Aug 30th 2006, 5:01 am
Mozzie magnet

chels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond reputechels has a reputation beyond repute

Still waiting to hear about the job I interviewed for - references have been gathered - a one in four chance I suppose (I've always been a glass half empty person though)
Old Aug 30th 2006, 6:02 am
Forum Regular

jossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nicejossy is just really nice
Thumbs up Re: Average Time for Securing a Job

Originally Posted by chels
Still waiting to hear about the job I interviewed for - references have been gathered - a one in four chance I suppose (I've always been a glass half empty person though)
Good Luck Chels, Keep Smiling and Keep Believing

Fingers crossed for ya

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.