Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Buying land then live in a mobile home?

Buying land then live in a mobile home?

Old Aug 28th 2006, 2:10 pm
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future
Default Buying land then live in a mobile home?

Can you buy land and live in a mobile home on the plot whilst waiting to build a new home on the land. I would like to buy the land then live there for a year or 2 whilst sorting out plans, etc., then build on later. Are there regulations to stop you doing this?
Old Aug 28th 2006, 3:14 pm
UK is Home

Sunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond reputeSunny_Glesga has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying land then live in a mobile home?

I would like to get some info on this too

Originally Posted by Shaun&Dee
Can you buy land and live in a mobile home on the plot whilst waiting to build a new home on the land. I would like to buy the land then live there for a year or 2 whilst sorting out plans, etc., then build on later. Are there regulations to stop you doing this?
Old Aug 28th 2006, 5:17 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

Sound like a great plan but I'm not sure I could live in a caravan for 2 years though.

Hope someone knows the answer to your question.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 6:46 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Dont know 100% but highly doubt it. Wold think there would be heaps of people caravaning it while their house gets built.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 7:07 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Depends where the land plot is and what the respective council bylaws are. You may also come across time limits by where you must commence building within a certain time.

To claim the homebuyers grant I think you need to be constructing within 6 months.

Have you thought of building the garage first with a bathroom? You could then move into this while you complete the rest of the house? You might also find it for cost effective to move into a caravan park with better utilities during your construction if you are after cost savings. It would also allow you "people" time.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 7:13 pm
now just Shaun...

Shaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant futureShaun&Dee has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by thebears
Depends where the land plot is and what the respective council bylaws are. You may also come across time limits by where you must commence building within a certain time.

To claim the homebuyers grant I think you need to be constructing within 6 months.

Have you thought of building the garage first with a bathroom? You could then move into this while you complete the rest of the house? You might also find it for cost effective to move into a caravan park with better utilities during your construction if you are after cost savings. It would also allow you "people" time.
My thoughts were to buy the land (a nicer bit than could afford for house/land package), and to save up for a short while so that could build the house that I want.

In the event that I couldn't quite afford the house aswell after saving for a while, at least I would own a nice plot of land as an investment for the future.

I like the garage idea though.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 7:20 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

My thoughts were to buy the land (a nicer bit than could afford for house/land package), and to save up for a short while so that could build the house that I want.

In the event that I couldn't quite afford the house aswell after saving for a while, at least I would own a nice plot of land as an investment for the future.

I like the garage idea though.
Depends where you are looking and what your PR status is. The best plots will be established surburbs - look to knock down existing house and build again or just renovate.

In some areas the cost of land is no different to land + existing building.

Land banking can be expensive depending on your time frame (remember there are lots of hidden charges for just holding on to land).

We are doing similar but wife definitely would not put up with living in a caravan for a year (I did suggest it). Also our local council have strict bylaws which do not allow it .

What part of Oz are you looking?
Old Aug 28th 2006, 7:29 pm
now just Shaun...

What part of Oz are you looking?
QLD somewhere, possible Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast or Brisbane.

I want to be somewhere where there are nice beaches and sea (I come from London!), hence the thought of landbanking. Need to be near a biggish suburb as I work as a Quantity Surveyor.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 7:32 pm
Melbourne Australia

QLD somewhere, possible Sunshine Coast, Gold Coast or Brisbane.

I want to be somewhere where there are nice beaches and sea (I come from London!), hence the thought of landbanking. Need to be near a biggish suburb as I work as a Quantity Surveyor.
Do you have PR? makes a big difference due too restrictions if you need FIRB approval.

Should be alot of plots however to choose from up there.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 7:42 pm
now just Shaun...

Do you have PR? makes a big difference due too restrictions if you need FIRB approval.

Should be alot of plots however to choose from up there.
Yes I do have PR (I think). I got a 136 Skilled Independant Visa, which doesn't any any restrictions (except time for entry).
Old Aug 28th 2006, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

TheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud ofTheAshleys has much to be proud of

What is the homebuyers grant anyone ?
Old Aug 28th 2006, 7:59 pm
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by TheAshleys
What is the homebuyers grant anyone ?
$7000 if you have not already purchased a property in OZ
Victoria gives you additional $3000 if the property is below $500K

You must have PR to obtain it.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 8:04 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

$7000 if you have not already purchased a property in OZ
Victoria gives you additional $3000 if the property is below $500K

You must have PR to obtain it.

That is very interesting news, i wasn't aware of the extra money if property was under $500k.
Very welcome news
Mandy
Old Aug 28th 2006, 8:10 pm
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by geordie mandy
That is very interesting news, i wasn't aware of the extra money if property was under $500k.
Very welcome news
Mandy
Yes, Hi Mandy.
It makes you think twice about going over that amount when you are just paying for land.
Old Aug 28th 2006, 8:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

geordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond reputegeordie mandy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, Hi Mandy.
It makes you think twice about going over that amount when you are just paying for land.

Hubby is thinking of buying a wreck with land, (whilst we are in army housing )
And pulling it down and building our dream house, is it worth doing that?
(you are up early mate)
Mandy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.