Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Australian Work Ethic

Australian Work Ethic

Old Dec 3rd 2012, 7:53 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australian Work Ethic

Originally Posted by fish.01
Why?
Why ? Seriously ? You think that if you have done unpaid overtime you are somehow immune to losing your job ?
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 7:57 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
I don't think anyone is saying that they work for nothing. The way I see it is that I am not paid by the hour, I am paid for completion of tasks and if I need to work later some days to complete my tasks then my remuneration already covers that.

The majority of my employment contracts over the last 20 years have stipulated this arrangement too.
That is exactly the point, many people apparently are working for nothing and it will probably get worse as the job market gets more and more competitive. Your particular situation is fine for you but I would say that most of those working unpaid overtime are probably not professionals and dont receive remuneration in other ways. It applies more to those paid an hourly rate.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Why ? Seriously ? You think that if you have done unpaid overtime you are somehow immune to losing your job ?
No, of course not Chris but that isn't what you said. This is:

"if times get tough you are gone whether you have done unpaid overtime or not."

That infers that unpaid overtime won't sometimes help you retain your job. Clearly it won't make you immune from ever losing a job but equally I'm sure it has helped people keep a job sometimes. Whether that makes it worth it is down to each person I guess.
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 9:33 am
Banned

Originally Posted by fish.01
No, of course not Chris but that isn't what you said. This is:

"if times get tough you are gone whether you have done unpaid overtime or not."

That infers that unpaid overtime won't sometimes help you retain your job. Clearly it won't make you immune from ever losing a job but equally I'm sure it has helped people keep a job sometimes. Whether that makes it worth it is down to each person I guess.
Well yes if you want to be pedantic then I should have qualified the statement with something along the lines of 'this statement obviously doesnt apply in every situation or to every individual'
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 10:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris955
Well yes if you want to be pedantic then I should have qualified the statement with something along the lines of 'this statement obviously doesnt apply in every situation or to every individual'
Not bad...better not to be so absolutist in the first place but I can't expect miracles
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 3:14 pm
Just Joined

imdvlp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mister176
Hey hey,

That's shocking!! What was your profession back in the States? Are you a permanent resident in Oz?

Unless you are a ethnic minority with poor communication skills I can't see why a skilled American professional would end up stacking shelves after 4 years in Oz.

What kept you staying? I would have gone back to the UK already if I were you. Tried NZ/S'pore??
Hey,

Thanks for your reply.

It is indeed shocking. If only I had a time machine.

Profession back in the U.S. - Accountant.
Permanent Resident of Australia - I have now been granted Citizenship status. I am waiting to be sworn in as a citizen.
I am, indeed, an ethnic minority but I really do not think I have poor communication skills.

What kept me staying? Well, combination of many factors. I do not think I would ever every try another country. It's been enough of a trauma this experience.

Someone asked, 'Move back to Chicago'? If I could, trust me, I would be in the first plane back to Chicago (Saving is not easy these days, if you know what I mean).

Cheers,
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

imdvlp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by MAR001
Well, I spent three years in the UK looking for a job and I ended up with 2 masters degrees and one professional qualification. Any of those helped me to find a job.

I'm from an ethnic minority, my English is not perfect and I found a great managerial position in a multinational 3 month after arriving here (perhaps thanks to the qualifications). My wife (masters degree qualified), on the other hand, found a 6 month position pretty straightforward, but now her industry (energy consultancy) is dead after the Carbon Tax and she has been looking for 6 months now (while becoming a yoga expert)

In my opinion, more than bad or good luck, it is a combination of factors and it has a lot to do with the industry...
Thanks for your post. Very informative and encouraging.

It is indeed combination of factors. I do not want to go into the details of these factors, but your post is indeed encouraging.

Thank you,
Old Dec 3rd 2012, 4:13 pm
I'm a Perthie!

coffeedrinker is an unknown quantity at this point

I've helped my hubby (now a PR) when he first started working in Oz on workplace politics and etiquette so he could ensure he was picked for contract extensions and would be able to get good references. Particularly in Perth, where it's hard to get good contacts in IT if you're not local (born / schooled) if you can get in with the right people then it pays off. Used to be much worse in late 90s, early 2k.

Whilst older than some of his counterparts in IT (late 30s) he would always respond with requests slightly out of his job description with a yes. Always volunteer to learn something new and always ask for more work to do. He was working with other migrants. The guy who was hired as his partner to do one particular job was from SA, and he thought he should be paid more or given more interesting work to do. He would turn up late, leave early, take longer breaks. So when it came time to renew the contract, hubby got an offer and his partner didn't.

He's now got a permanent job and whilst not paid huge $$, he's valued. He works 8.00 - 16.00, paid for 40 hours per week, and on the odd occaision will work late to fix things when required.

Where I work, I do 9 hour days regularly because I'm a salaried worker and not a wage earner. I'm in middle management and I need to ensure that my team get adequate support and I need to do follow ups for customer complaints after hours. Also not a good look if I leave early, so I don't. I work in a call centre.

I won't let my team work longer than they are paid; I ensure they take all of their breaks; I encourage them take annual leave time if they are stressed, tired, or in danger of burning out; I move their shifts if they need time to attend appointments and sometimes if they are late. If they are abused by a customer and need a time out, I give them that time out.

A couple of weeks ago, they challenged me to do some of their work when I was rostered to work on a weekend day with my team. I am pushing them to achieve KPI, they wanted to see if I could hit that KPI - I did! Much easier to lead a team if they can see I can walk the walk.

There's nothing wrong with working to the clock, but, if you want to get ahead, you need to be prepared to work outside of the JDF, take some risks, manage up and show you're a valuable person, not just a yes man.

Last edited by coffeedrinker; Dec 3rd 2012 at 4:18 pm.