Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia an oversold country?

Is Australia an oversold country?

Old Jul 8th 2009, 11:42 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Australia an oversold country?

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Pack it in the lot of you. This is a discussion forum not a boxing ring.
Yeah! Or Polly will get a grip of her broom and bash you all with it!
Old Jul 9th 2009, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

northernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to all

Average house prices in Australia are now 40-50% higher than UK. Average UK house £157K, average Aus house $460K.

157,713.00 GBP = 322,225.82 AUD
United Kingdom Pounds Australia Dollars
1 GBP = 2.04312 AUD 1 AUD = 0.489449 GBP

You'll be needing a big deposit or bigger mortgage when migrating to the land of Oz. Don't forget wages are generally lower in Oz than UK but that's OK, the weather is great and it doesn't cost anything to go to the beach.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 3:22 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by northernlights
Average house prices in Australia are now 40-50% higher than UK. Average UK house £157K, average Aus house $460K.

157,713.00 GBP = 322,225.82 AUD
United Kingdom Pounds Australia Dollars
1 GBP = 2.04312 AUD 1 AUD = 0.489449 GBP
Average UK House Price £197,145 (£402,791 at 2.043 or £492,863 at 2.5)
http://www.acadametrics.co.uk/ftHousePrices.php
(published in the Financial Times and on FT.com)

Median Australia House Prices June 2009
$530,000 Sydney (at 2.043 = £259,407) or (at 2.5 = £212,000)
$470,000 Darwin (at 2.043 = £230,040) or (at 2.5 = £188,000)
$425,000 Melbourne (at 2.043 = £208,015) or (at 2.5 = £170,000)
$425,000 Perth (at 2.043 = £208,015) or (at 2.5 = £170,000)
$391,000 Brisbane (at 2.043 = £191,374) or (at 2.5 = £156,400)
$360,000 Adelaide (at 2.043 = £176,201) or (at 2.5 = £144,000)
$335,000 Hobart (at 2.043 = £163,965) or (at 2.5 = £134,000)

Obviously the drop in the value of the £ will make a big impact as the above comparisons show. If the £ recovers, it will help to bring that price gap back to normal.

Originally Posted by northernlights
Don't forget wages are generally lower in Oz than UK
Are they really ?
All the stats that I see show that the average wages in Australia are higher than in the UK. However, many people keep saying that UK is higher, but no one shows official figures for it. All they give are individual examples, but my wife earns twice as much in Australia as she did in the UK, so thats my "individual" example, proving that wages are higher than the UK, in so far as individual examples prove anything.

Old Jul 9th 2009, 4:24 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Average UK House Price £197,145 (£402,791 at 2.043 or £492,863 at 2.5)
http://www.acadametrics.co.uk/ftHousePrices.php
(published in the Financial Times and on FT.com)
Alternatively you could quote:

Land Registry - May 09 (England & Wales) at £152,497.

Quite a disparity.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 4:46 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bcworld
Alternatively you could quote:

Land Registry - May 09 (England & Wales) at £152,497.

Quite a disparity.
The good thing with that one is that you get a breakdown for the different areas:
£295,325 London
£188,129 South East
£160,892 East
£159,787 South West
£130,928 West Midlands
£121,056 Yorkshire & The Humber
£120,261 East Midlands
£119,990 Wales
£116,774 North West
£105,567 North East

It's a pity that there is no definitive figures for either country.

Old Jul 9th 2009, 4:50 am
ABCDiamond

It makes some comparisons a bit easier to look at though ...

$391,000 Brisbane (at 2.043 = £191,374) or (at 2.5 = £156,400)
£188,129 South East UK

$530,000 Sydney (at 2.043 = £259,407) or (at 2.5 = £212,000)
£295,325 London

Old Jul 9th 2009, 4:58 am
ABCDiamond

I wonder what part of the UK this one would be compared to ?

$365,000 or £178,000

629 sqm block, 4 bed, 2 baths and 1 hour train commute from Sydney CBD.

Old Jul 9th 2009, 5:01 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

http://images.domain.com.au/img/2009...76326_1_TE.JPG $365,000 or £178,000

As per the previous one, if you included a link to the full property details it would be possible to make such a comparison.
Old Jul 9th 2009, 5:24 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bcworld
As per the previous one, if you included a link to the full property details it would be possible to make such a comparison.
I missed that...

http://www.domain.com.au/Public/Prop...did=2007776326

Old Jul 10th 2009, 1:11 am
BE Enthusiast

nessyp is on a distinguished road

Im with you ABC pound for pound, dollar for dollar you get more for your money in oz whatever way you look it.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

http://images.domain.com.au/img/2009...76326_1_TE.JPG $365,000 or £178,000

Your'e not still flogging the western suburbs?
Old Jul 12th 2009, 12:04 pm
Forum Regular

Ruthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of lightRuthyman is a glorious beacon of light

Maybe some people look at other properties, eg: to compare against that one in the USA.

http://www.abcdiamond.com/home/t1.jpg http://www.abcdiamond.com/home/t2.jpg
$244,000
1 Acre, town water, 3 mins to shops & school, 4 beds, 2 baths, 4 car spaces

But if you want to be near beaches, and/or the City, you need to pay more.
exactly - either you go to the more inconvenient areas (2 cars required, hours of commuting to work or just plain dodgy/ugly) or you pay $700k + for a 'nice' area and and a house that needs knocking down.
Forget enjoying the lovely bars or coffee houses in the inner city if you have to drive an hour to get home...
mind you - Im no expert like some...I was only born and raised here...
Old Jul 12th 2009, 12:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gibbo
I don't think Australia is oversold. The powers that be advertise the country, as other commodities are advertised. Why? Because the thought is that certain skills etc are required. Like any other commodity you either buy or you don't. If you do it is your choice, no one forces you to do this. Like any other item you buy that you are not happy with it's your hard luck if you don't like it or it doesn't meet your expectations.
Yes and as proved the other day - no refund on faulty goods either
Old Jul 12th 2009, 12:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Officer Dibble
Yes, Australia is oversold. Dont expect an Aussie to admit it but the place is being sold out from under their parochial, bogan noses to a target demographic of Brits that would swap their own mothers for a pair of loafers if they thought the neighbours would be impressed and the same goes for moving to Australia. A lot of Brits like it here and even more will pretend to, simply to appease the natives but the same old points keep being raised: boredom, blandness, being milked for every cent, and requiring a license just to set an egg timer.

Australia with all its bells and whistles doesnt hold a candle to any European city regardless of so called facts and statistics from Google.
As an Aussie can I tentatively agree...I mean how many ads for the news (que weird smiley looking news crews) and news breaks and news flashes do I need before I get my daily dose of the news? What's with this 'brand power' crap we keep getting rammed down our throats (que yet another bland over smiley person), for those of us in Vic - my children can sing the 'car city' add verbertim and hey, I'm totally sold on the fact that many, many men in this country have errection problems
(There is some nice stuff about being here - it's just not the stuff I was expecting).

Last edited by Ruthyman; Jul 12th 2009 at 12:16 pm.
Old Jul 12th 2009, 12:15 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ruthyman
As an Aussie can I tentatively agree...I mean how many ads for the news (que weird smiley looking news crews) and news breaks and news flashes do I need before I get my daily dose of the news? What's with this 'brand power' crap we keep ketting rammed down our throats (que yet another bland over smiley person), for those of us in Vic - my children can sing the 'car city' add verbertim and hey, I'm totally sold on the fact that many, many men in this country have errection problems
(There is some nice stuff about being here - it's just not the stuff I was expecting).
My fave ad was the one that went 'imagine if you had a soggy crotch'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.