Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia an oversold country?

Is Australia an oversold country?

Old Jul 13th 2009, 9:16 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Australia an oversold country?

Originally Posted by northernlights
Sorry, I think you are bluffing on the price here. It must be a unit or retirement home, tiny duplex? I cannot think of ANYWHERE in Perth, 10 minutes walk to ocean, 15 minutes drive to City for $350K. Please tell me what suburb. as I don't believe you.
Monkey Mia?
Old Jul 13th 2009, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

northernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to all

Originally Posted by busterboy
Monkey Mia?
So, nessyp has a space shuttle parked outside her 3 x 1, that'll explain the 15minute drive to Perth.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 10:01 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

So, nessyp has a space shuttle parked outside her 3 x 1, that'll explain the 15minute drive to Perth.
I cannae hold her capt'in...
Old Jul 13th 2009, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

vicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant futurevicki78 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Average UK House Price £197,145 (£402,791 at 2.043 or £492,863 at 2.5)
http://www.acadametrics.co.uk/ftHousePrices.php
(published in the Financial Times and on FT.com)

Median Australia House Prices June 2009
$530,000 Sydney (at 2.043 = £259,407) or (at 2.5 = £212,000)
$470,000 Darwin (at 2.043 = £230,040) or (at 2.5 = £188,000)
$425,000 Melbourne (at 2.043 = £208,015) or (at 2.5 = £170,000)
$425,000 Perth (at 2.043 = £208,015) or (at 2.5 = £170,000)
$391,000 Brisbane (at 2.043 = £191,374) or (at 2.5 = £156,400)
$360,000 Adelaide (at 2.043 = £176,201) or (at 2.5 = £144,000)
$335,000 Hobart (at 2.043 = £163,965) or (at 2.5 = £134,000)

Obviously the drop in the value of the £ will make a big impact as the above comparisons show. If the £ recovers, it will help to bring that price gap back to normal.

Are they really ?
All the stats that I see show that the average wages in Australia are higher than in the UK. However, many people keep saying that UK is higher, but no one shows official figures for it. All they give are individual examples, but my wife earns twice as much in Australia as she did in the UK, so thats my "individual" example, proving that wages are higher than the UK, in so far as individual examples prove anything.
Yeah I agree with that. I earn more here than I did in the UK.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 12:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vicki78
It does vary. People in some sectors have always noted Australian wages (even if the net result is not 'fatal' for them) but quite a few will tell you they earn more.

I do, but then I came over here around the same time I advanced up the career ladder. The absolute higher salaries in London in some fields would have been cancelled out by house prices - whereas bringing over pounds helped subsidise Melbourne's high prices. That along with the fact that many absolutely vital run of the mill things really are cheaper here (for us, and I don't include groceries there) means that we are financially better off here.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 10:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by vicki78
Horses for courses.....On coming back to the UK, if you took my salary on leaving Oz and convert to GBP it is near half what I am paid now and I didn't earn peanuts in Oz neither. I worked outside of a major city in Oz and had a significant 6 figure $ salary.

It just seems that in my particular line of work, it is better paid everywhere else than in Oz primarily because it is more advanced than in Oz.

Now, if I were a coal miner or drove a monster truck in an open cast mine it would no doubt be very different but I like doing what I do and am too old to retrain in to something else.

My wifes work was similar paid (medical world) but her issue was not the pay but being several ice ages behind more modern medical practices in her field of work.

Moral......do your homework.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 10:45 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Survey out today on expat salaries:

Australian expatriates living the high life

Research by HSBC Bank Australia, based on a survey of 3100 expats working in 50 countries, found Australians working overseas are living the good life, whereas foreign expats working in Australia have the lowest salaries of all the countries surveyed.

...however it also says

"Expats living in Australia are reporting the lowest salaries, but are nevertheless keen to stay put, while a third of the Australians living overseas are considering a return home,"
Old Jul 14th 2009, 1:49 am
Forum Regular

northernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to allnorthernlights is a name known to all

You are all converting your Aussie salary to GBP£, when the Aussie dollar has never been so strong against the pound. Not a good idea.

Just say, overnight, the AUD$ /GBP£, goes to 1:1. So, if you are earning $30K a year in Coles stacking shelves, would that now equate to earning £30K in UK stacking shelves in Tescos? Of course not.

Eight years ago, the AUD/GBP exchange rate was nearly 3:1. A person stacking shelves in Coles earning $30K a year would then be earning the equivalent of £10K in UK, according to the exchange rate.

It's all about cost of living and disposable income in relative countries.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 3:56 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

You are all converting your Aussie salary to GBP£, when the Aussie dollar has never been so strong against the pound. Not a good idea.

Just say, overnight, the AUD$ /GBP£, goes to 1:1. So, if you are earning $30K a year in Coles stacking shelves, would that now equate to earning £30K in UK stacking shelves in Tescos? Of course not.

Eight years ago, the AUD/GBP exchange rate was nearly 3:1. A person stacking shelves in Coles earning $30K a year would then be earning the equivalent of £10K in UK, according to the exchange rate.

It's all about cost of living and disposable income in relative countries.
I wish if I knew which way the £:$ exchange was going to go over the next 12 or so months
Old Jul 14th 2009, 4:53 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Olibeneli
...or drove a monster truck...
Old Jul 14th 2009, 5:12 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by paulry
I wish if I knew which way the £:$ exchange was going to go over the next 12 or so months
The pound will strengthen. Put it this way, it has reached rock bottom and it can't get any worse. (Well it could but is unlikely as all the shit is pretty much over)
Old Jul 14th 2009, 5:37 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deancm
The pound will strengthen. Put it this way, it has reached rock bottom and it can't get any worse. (Well it could but is unlikely as all the shit is pretty much over)
That is what I'm banking () on. 'Considering keeping the proceeds of my house sale in a sterling account and renting until the exchange rate improves. Potentially it can make a huge difference
Old Jul 14th 2009, 7:52 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Deancm
I wouldn't count on the shit being over just yet. You don't get over 17 years worth of a credit bubble in just 6 months. The US has another round of home loan defaults coming in 2010/2011, Alt-A and Option ARM mortgages. Rates will be reset on these mortgages and many people in US will default. Round 2.

Saying that, I do think the Aussie dollar is going to show some future weakness as we are dependant on China and commodity prices for our recovery. From what I'm reading in the papers, China is not doing so great.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

brucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nicebrucekaren is just really nice

C'mon folks!! You need to this idea out of your head by always converting AUD$ to UK£. If your living in OZ, just work in $$$'s. Been here over 7 months and Im complaining when the fuel prices see-saw each day.

People looking to settle here really need to do their research and dont hold high expectations when they arrive. Set your budget and have a plan for when you move here...........................AND STICK TO IT. We arrived in Brisbane and within 5 days, we ID'd the areas we wanted to settle, then had our home (rented) in one of those areas, basic home contents purchased and delivered (Ikea, Kmart & Big W) until our container arrived 7 weeks later. We even purchased our first car. After asking the locals and calling Queensland Education Dept, we even managed to ID the schools we were sending our kids too (Which wasnt easy due to the OZ summer school holidays_.

We never thought this move would ever be easy. Anyone that does deserves to fail. You still have to work the hours to earn. Its not the easy life compared to the UK. I have landed my ideal job. A job that I know I would never have been considered for in the UK. Im earning way more than what I did back there too. My wife works mainly Mon-Fri as a nurse (something she couldnt do in the UK) and is earning the same as her mixed shifts in the UK, and with less responsibility. Herself and the other UK nurses she works with would be the first to confirm the Health system is about 15 years behind the UK and the local staff are damn scary with their lack of skill, knowledge and lazy attitude. But she wouldnt change it for the UK. Its defo a life stlye choice. Beautiful locations, beaches and things to do. We have done more as a family in the last 7 months here than we have probably ever done in our time as a family in the UK.

People are complaining about high cost of homes. We have been doing our research here and although we wont be considering paying for another 12-18 months, we have already decided we are building our own. We have great home here (rented), which is something we would NEVER have had back in the UK. Relatives who visitied us recently even commented how much bigger the home was. They were shocked at the space, lack of clutter and that pictures didnt give the home any justice. They were jealous and definitely envious that we made the move here.

We love it here, dont find it any more expensive here than back in the UK. Your money goes further here than the UK and is better value. We have no intentions of returning to the UK. Folks regard the UK as home.......sorry but this is home for us.

Our moto.........WORK HARD and LIVE FOR THE WEEKEND.
Old Jul 14th 2009, 8:00 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't count on the shit being over just yet.
I didn't say the shit was over but the worst of it is over.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.