Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia an oversold country?

Is Australia an oversold country?

Old Jun 27th 2009, 4:56 am
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Australia an oversold country?

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I always spent bank holidays in London for this reason. Lots to see and do and usually quite empty as everyone headed of to the country and coast.
True. Another seemingly odd custom here is for people to take their holidays abroad during the height of the UK summer to crowded places. Surely it's better to go away over Easter to the mediterranean where the crowds havent yet flocked there and the prices aren't yet inflated. But hey, I'm not complaining ...this habit thing stops people thinking outside of the box and is actually a lifesaver for those of us who do
Old Jun 27th 2009, 5:49 am
BE Enthusiast

caliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of lightcaliburn is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Deancm
Australia has a culture, it just isn't Australian.

I wouldn't say they are 'products of' but rather 'form a part of'. Usually known as high culture.

You said "With your thought process london for example must be far behind Rome culturally?".
Yes, Australia has a mostly Chinese culture, though some say its just Asian.
Old Jun 27th 2009, 6:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caliburn
Unless you go to an Asian place I wouldn't say it was particularly so - but there are more Asians (SE) than in Europe...
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 5:21 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

There are a large number of Chinese here but do not think that their culture or any other Asian plays much part outside in the mainstream.
In fact Australians do not in the main have much understanding or indeed interest in the near north besides cheap holidays in Bali and Phuket along with the Thai or Chinese takeaway or resturant.
One would image this will change in the coming years as Australia further acknowledges it's place in the world..
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 5:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Unless you go to an Asian place I wouldn't say it was particularly so - but there are more Asians (SE) than in Europe...
Probably but London has a large Chinese population of some 200,000 along with a large ChinaTown in Soho.....other large populations are found in Paris(13th a metro Place D'Italie where a long street is full of buzzing Viet/Chinese
shops,cafes and people.Amsterdam is another city with a large although a little sanitised ChinaTown and is located just beside Central Station.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond reputeOlibeneli has a reputation beyond repute

Can I throw this in to the pot.

Recall that "best job in the world" to be caretaker up in the barrier reef ?

Long before the job got taken I told most anyone who was interested that the job would go to a Brit. It was so damn obvious to me.

Reason being - the Qld govt knew full well the coverage they would get back in blighty....free advertising for Qld to a huge number of people who they have been enticing downunder for yonks.

Not silly are they!

But....did they oversell the job, place, country ???

Don't think it was oversold to me - I just didn't do enough research.

Enjoyed my time there but eventually needed something "more" which I realised I was not going to get in Oz.

"More" to me is more than wonderful beaches and scenery.....a decent TV show, decent choice of a wide variety of restaurants, decent intellectual people to talk to, a culture of wanting to "do a good job" and get on with it
rather than wait 'til "she'll be right"......a job that would stretch me every day until I retire....

Not everyone wants this sort of thing...we are all different. Certainly my cousins could not understand why would I want to work hard....how about 'cos I enjoy it !....we are not all so lucky as to enjoy our work I know. My opinion here is you are only alive once, so while you are here and you have to work, then do something you enjoy. In this regard, I could not understand my cousins - they purely worked for the dollar and watched the clock to when they could scarper home. Why carry on doing something you hate ?

Did Kiama harbour take 50 odd years to build ?

Last edited by Olibeneli; Jul 2nd 2009 at 10:23 pm.
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 11:06 pm
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Australia is certainly cultureless and full of brits who read the sun and earn a crap load more money than they would back home so why wouldn't they want to be in Aus.

Another thing to all the "brits" who aren't coming out here are part of the slack 32% Government employees who earn a wage that would could never live of in Aus and are happy to take your 1 year maternity leave?

The Salaries in Australia are much higher and the career opportunities are better. thats why no one applys for the HSMP these days lol
Old Jul 2nd 2009, 11:23 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

You can get The Sun here? Why?
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 12:13 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Weebie
The Salaries in Australia are much higher and the career opportunities are better.
That is absolute rubbish.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold

The Salaries in Australia are much higher and the career opportunities are better.
Are you being ironic?
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 1:03 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

After reading hundreds of threads here, I have a feeling that Australia is perhaps a little bit of an oversold or overhyped country. With exorbitant property prices, high cost of living, relatively low income level, arguably a racist society, life-style compromise for some, scanty job market etc..... is it still a good value proposition for you?

So, why do people still go there? Lack of alternatives? Most other countries are non-English speaking, Canada too cold, US not to everyone's taste, NZ not offering much prospect, Ireland not different from UK....

One thing is for sure..... Australians have managed to market Ozland very well. You are Wanted Downunder!
Well, I reckon that a lot of people (certainly not all - I moved for personal reasons) make the move over here because:

a) Housing - very hard to compare. But I would argue that housing in Australia is far cheaper than in UK, comparing like for like.
b) Unemployment is far higher in the UK. 7.2% compared to 5.7% in Australia.
c) Weather is far better in Aus.
d) In Aus there is less of a focus on obtaining fulfillment/acheivement from "owning" material goods, going "shopping", etc etc.
e) wages- In Feb 2009, the average weekly earnings for full-time adults was $1,183 in Australia. At 2.10 exchange rate, thats just under GBP30,000. The UK has no reliable average earnings figures, so you can decide for yourself whether Australia really has a low income level or not, in comparison to UK.

It seems to me that your original post has got a lot of dud info in it....
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 2:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by asprilla
Well, I reckon that a lot of people (certainly not all - I moved for personal reasons) make the move over here because:

a) Housing - very hard to compare. But I would argue that housing in Australia is far cheaper than in UK, comparing like for like.
b) Unemployment is far higher in the UK. 7.2% compared to 5.7% in Australia.
c) Weather is far better in Aus.
d) In Aus there is less of a focus on obtaining fulfillment/acheivement from "owning" material goods, going "shopping", etc etc.
e) wages- In Feb 2009, the average weekly earnings for full-time adults was $1,183 in Australia. At 2.10 exchange rate, thats just under GBP30,000. The UK has no reliable average earnings figures, so you can decide for yourself whether Australia really has a low income level or not, in comparison to UK.

It seems to me that your original post has got a lot of dud info in it....
Australia was a very materialistic country long before Britain became a money and material obsessive society somewhere in the early eighties.
In the seventies a lot of young Aussies doing the London thing often voiced the conformity and material traits of Aussies as what they preferred about the difference of living in London to being back home.
Funny isn't it how the same society can be viewed differently?
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 2:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
Are you being ironic?
I would say a large dose of irony is at play here.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 4:26 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the troubadour
Australia was a very materialistic country long before Britain became a money and material obsessive society somewhere in the early eighties.
In the seventies a lot of young Aussies doing the London thing often voiced the conformity and material traits of Aussies as what they preferred about the difference of living in London to being back home.
Funny isn't it how the same society can be viewed differently?

At the end of the day, it's very subjective. It really depends on the kind of life a person leads, and the people they have around them. I could quite happily be sitting in the pub talking to you about how Australia is great because people are interested more in the simple things...whereas you might disagree.

I could quite happily be sitting in the pub, full stop.
Old Jul 3rd 2009, 5:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by asprilla

At the end of the day, it's very subjective. It really depends on the kind of life a person leads, and the people they have around them. I could quite happily be sitting in the pub talking to you about how Australia is great because people are interested more in the simple things...whereas you might disagree.

I could quite happily be sitting in the pub, full stop.
I guess something of a convergence has occurred over time, you know you may well laugh, but there was a time and not that long ago, that i would have said about Londoners what you say about Aussies.
One could converse on many issues with little material concerns..natter about anything from world events to music and anyone could join in never really come close to finding such relaxed people or places that harbour similar here..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.