Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Australia officially in a Recession

Old Oct 24th 2012, 1:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is Australia officially in a Recession

Originally Posted by steve`o
which give or take is about 380 thousand pounds, now i don't know where you live but i`m from Manchester the average house there is currently 148 thousand pounds
But that's because it's Manchester ..

In my old neighbourhoods, detatched houses (which is what I'd live in) were over 400k GBP.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/h...ug.stm?d#table

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/h...es/html/mc.stm

And in the neighbourhood I've bought in, the average is about 500k AUD

http://www.rs.realestate.com.au/cgi-...wa&u=bayswater

(* I know personal details will change the figures)

Last edited by Bibbs; Oct 24th 2012 at 2:24 am.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 2:32 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bibbs

In my old neighbourhoods, detatched houses (which is what I'd live in) were over 400k GBP.

So this one sold for $577k?

http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...ater-111194239

I love the decor...it's erm, 'state of the art'!
Old Oct 24th 2012, 2:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

This could go on for pages .... not taking into account the massive north south divide in the UK, and that anyone not earning +2x in Australia should get out quick smart ..... forget the FX rate or have we got back to that little chesnut again ...... it's like comparing apples and oranges .... again.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 3:16 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bibbs

so as a fair comparison you choose one of the highest rated uk post codes with a detached house as an example and one of the lowest perth ones with an average for all housing ?
yeah course its going to look good but hardly the same talk about massaging the figures to suit your needs

my old postcode shows detached properties as 439 thousand but hardly an average for manchester
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/h...bu.stm?d#table

and an expensive perth suburb
http://www.rs.realestate.com.au/cgi-...wa&u=cottesloe
median house price in excess of 1.5 million again hardly an average

Last edited by steve`o; Oct 24th 2012 at 3:35 am.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 5:26 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Is Australia officially in a Recession

Originally Posted by lumpommer
No. It's not even unofficially in a recession.

Low unemployment and 21 consecutive years of economic growth do not spell 'recession.'
Old Oct 24th 2012, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Bibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud ofBibbs has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by steve`o
so as a fair comparison you choose one of the highest rated uk post codes with a detached house as an example and one of the lowest perth ones with an average for all housing ?
yeah course its going to look good but hardly the same talk about massaging the figures to suit your needs
Which is the problem, there are so many variables.

I wouldn't call North Hants and Berkshire high rated, I'd say (for the SE) they were average (it just happens to be where I lived for 20 years, the expensive areas are in Surrey).

Bayswater is an average suburb for the metro area in Perth. It's no Dalkeith (somewhere that I have also lived) but it's no Armadale (again, somewhere I've lived but the other end of the range).

All I can say is, for a house where I was living, and a house where I am living. Aus is cheaper.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 7:33 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
So this one sold for $577k?

http://www.realestate.com.au/propert...ater-111194239

I love the decor...it's erm, 'state of the art'!
OMG, 717sq metre block a duplex, doesnt that mean it can be subdivided ? Our block was 1050 and I would have even subdivided that. It would be like living in the neighbours house.
I heard that it wasbecoming the norm in Brisbane to build on 400sq blocks and even smaller.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 8:03 am
BE Forum Addict

TheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond reputeTheArmChairDetective has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WestLondonWelshman
Take him with pinch of salt. Pitbull?! More like a pomeranian!
ac rydych chi ar fin fel Cymry gan fod fy ewythr sydd yn yr Iseldiroedd.
Beth am ymosod ar y swydd ac nid yw'r poster ar gyfer newid?
Old Oct 24th 2012, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

LINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond reputeLINZI has a reputation beyond repute

I know at hubbys work they have gone quiet and have laid off around 10 people with more to come this is here in Maitland NSW and Mackay Queensland.
Hubby has even said in the last 7 years in his job it has gone quiet before at work but even this is making him feel uneasy
Old Oct 24th 2012, 8:13 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LINZI
I know at hubbys work they have gone quiet and have laid off around 10 people with more to come this is here in Maitland NSW and Mackay Queensland.
Hubby has even said in the last 7 years in his job it has gone quiet before at work but even this is making him feel uneasy
He is being realistic, he is there living it and knows what is happening first hand. I saw the start of it when we were still there, lots of people starting to worry about their longterm security. It doesnt necessarily change the way people live but just here it is in the back of their minds.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 8:18 am
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Grayling
More Walter Mitty

Aww shucks, continuous name calling from Victor Meldrew, have I touched a nerve Vic?

Morning folks, lets keep it real, the houses in Oz are massive compared to the UK its a fact and yes there's crap built houses in Oz, but it's no different than the UK, the ones we saw in Australia were incredible and the ones we lived in were fantastic as well. I know some people have had a lot of problems with crap houses in Oz and I have every sympathy with them. My house in the UK is great and I will be living in an even better house in Australia, so ..... Sorry for being positive all the time, but I can't help it.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 8:20 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
Aww shucks, continuous name calling from Victor Meldrew, have I touched a nerve Vic?

Morning folks, lets keep it real, the houses in Oz are massive compared to the UK its a fact and yes there's crap built houses in Oz, but it's no different than the UK, the ones we saw in Australia were incredible and the ones we lived in were fantastic as well. I know some people have had a lot of problems with crap houses in Oz and I have every sympathy with them. My house in the UK is great and I will be living in an even better house in Australia, so ..... Sorry for being positive all the time, but I can't help it.
You have never lived in Australia......don't try and reinvent youself
Old Oct 24th 2012, 8:27 am
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

You have never lived in Australia......don't try and reinvent youself
I lived there long enough to know its fantastic.
Old Oct 24th 2012, 8:28 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
I lived there long enough to know its fantastic.
So what visa were you on then?
Old Oct 24th 2012, 8:30 am
Banned

So what visa were you on then?

A ....... It's got nothing to do with you visa.

Chat to someone who is interested in what you have to say.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.