Australia Day??

Old Jan 10th 2007, 7:17 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Australia Day??

Ok, new to the country and still not sure what Australia Day is all about.
What is it's purpose and how do people celebrate.
Want to get into the action
Old Jan 10th 2007, 7:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Tuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond reputeTuxtrip has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia Day??

Have a look at www.australiaday.com.au.
Start your day at the Big Breakfast, somewhere near you.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 7:26 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
http://www.perth.wa.gov.au/skyworks/info.html

This takes place in Perth. They are talking about having fireworks at Hillarys too but I think it will absolute hell to get in and out of there. Bad enough in the City. We take picnic and chairs and sit by the river.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 7:35 am
Account Closed

TraceyW is an unknown quantity at this point

Basically all the Aussies get incredibly patriotic and pi**ed!

It's a great day down at Kings Park or the Foreshore. You get a great view of the spectacular fireworks display from either place.

One drawback though; you have to get your pitch really early on if you want to set up camp and have picnics etc.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 7:36 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

I know they swear in new citizens there but what I want to know is if you get citizenship do you have to go and be sworn in on Oz day or can you opt out?
Old Jan 10th 2007, 7:38 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by TraceyW
Basically all the Aussies get incredibly patriotic and pi**ed!

It's a great day down at Kings Park or the Foreshore. You get a great view of the spectacular fireworks display from either place.

One drawback though; you have to get your pitch really early on if you want to set up camp and have picnics etc.
Are you going?
I don't do early
so i guess thats out of the equation!!!
The fireworks at Hillarys in Dec were OK but only stayed 15 mins as too busy, so probably the same for this.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 8:06 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
I know they swear in new citizens there but what I want to know is if you get citizenship do you have to go and be sworn in on Oz day or can you opt out?
They do them all year round. I would love to get mine for Aus Day but not sure the paperwork will have been done next year.

Roughly - and it is rough because each council runs them at different times - you are generally looking at 2+++ months after being accepted.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 8:11 am
ピーター及びクレア

PWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant futurePWBCSA has a brilliant future

1st thing to know is that some people refer to it as JJJ day.

2nd thing is you celebrate it, like most things in Australia, by drinking beer and eating BBQ with as many people as possible. If you refer to it as JJJ day you drink and eat whilst listening to the JJJ top 100.

3rd thing is watching out for random acts of patriotism like extremely large flag flying, face painting and fire-works etc.

The 4th, and most important thing, is that this year, it's the start of a long weekend at the end of January. How cool is that!

Cheers.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 8:54 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Its our first Australia day here as well & we have hired a holiday home for the weekend in Guilderton. There will be 16 of us including my Sister & family who are coming over from the UK ! Its going to be a great weekend !!!

Apologies in advance to anyone who lives nearby !

Nicky
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:06 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Are you going?
I don't do early
so i guess thats out of the equation!!!
The fireworks at Hillarys in Dec were OK but only stayed 15 mins as too busy, so probably the same for this.
Not early no, we were down there for 4pm last year with our chairs and stuff and were right at the front on Riverside Drive. An excellent spot.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:36 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Its our first Australia day here as well & we have hired a holiday home for the weekend in Guilderton. There will be 16 of us including my Sister & family who are coming over from the UK ! Its going to be a great weekend !!!

Apologies in advance to anyone who lives nearby !

Nicky
Right see you there
Old Jan 10th 2007, 9:40 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

We got to Kings Park around 11.30 last year and it was pretty quiet. Found a good spot and just chilled all day!
Fireworks were brilliant. Getting back home wsn't too bad either.
Have a good day everyone!
Tracey
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

nickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond reputenickyjohnt has a reputation beyond repute

Right see you there

Your quite welcome ! just remember to bring the mozzie repellent as the only available space left is the veranda !

Hope you find somewhere to celebrate. We have been here 9 months now & my sister arrives next week ( lelchelle ) ! im so excited as she has been through a dreadful time lately & deserves a bloody good holiday. She is also getting married to her long term fiance a week later in Perth ! Its a secret though as they havent told anyone so shhhhhhh !

Nicky
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt
Your quite welcome ! just remember to bring the mozzie repellent as the only available space left is the veranda !

Hope you find somewhere to celebrate. We have been here 9 months now & my sister arrives next week ( lelchelle ) ! im so excited as she has been through a dreadful time lately & deserves a bloody good holiday. She is also getting married to her long term fiance a week later in Perth ! Its a secret though as they havent told anyone so shhhhhhh !

Nicky
Nicky, you must have arrived in Perth same time as us..May 06.
How you finding it?
You seem to have alot of family visiting you already. My family said it would be 5 years before they would come. Great eh!
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:10 am
BE Enthusiast

njk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of lightnjk435 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by arkon
Councils conduct citizenship ceremonies throughout the year, other dates will be offered if you don't want to do it on Jan 26.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.