Australia Day??

Old Jan 11th 2007, 5:16 am
Gone for Good

binky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud of
Default Re: Australia Day??

Originally Posted by arkon
I can't type in all the reasons again so I'll just point you at a previous post where I came under fire for wanting it.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ip#post4184533

My boy is an Australian Citizen, so we need to be too now.
I see....interesting thread that other one....
Old Jan 11th 2007, 6:01 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Arrow Re: Australia Day??

My boy is an Australian Citizen
No he isn't.

so we need to be too now.
No you don't.

Australia has a modified version of jus soli, under which children born in Australia to foreign parents do not automatically gain Australian citizenship.

Thus:

From 20 August 1986 a person born in Australia only acquired Australian citizenship by birth if at least one parent was an Australian citizen or permanent resident.

A child born in Australia (and who is not otherwise an Australian citizen) who lives in Australia until age 10 automatically acquires Australian citizenship on his or her 10th birthday, if the child has not been granted or otherwise acquired Australian citizenship in the meantime.

This occurs automatically by operation of law, and applies irrespective of the immigration status of the child or his/her parents.
Wikipedia.

Your child is not an Australian citizen - and will not become one unless (a) you obtain Australian citizenship before his 10th birthday, or (b) he lives in Australia for the next 10 years.

Last edited by Vash the Stampede; Jan 11th 2007 at 6:18 am.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 6:07 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
No he isn't.

No you don't.

Australia has a modified version of jus soli, under which children born in Australia to foreign parents do not automatically gain Australian citizenship.

Thus:

From 20 August 1986 a person born in Australia only acquired Australian citizenship by birth if at least one parent was an Australian citizen or permanent resident.

A child born in Australia (and who is not otherwise an Australian citizen) who lives in Australia until age 10 automatically acquires Australian citizenship on his or her 10th birthday, if the child has not been granted or otherwise acquired Australian citizenship in the meantime.

This occurs automatically by operation of law, and applies irrespective of the immigration status of the child or his/her parents.
Wikipedia.

Your child is not an Australian citizen - and will not become one unless (a) you obtain Australian citizenship before his 10th birthday, or (b) he lives in Australia for the next 10 years.

So I have no idea why you are applying for Australian citizenship - especially since you claim to hate the place.
no need for that post Vash at all.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 6:08 am
Gone for Good

binky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud of

Just read through that other thread that Arkon posted and can't believe the amount of losers on this site who feel the need to slag off Australia because they've failed. Sad. Why don't they all just piss off back to the UK?

Anyway, off topic..........
Old Jan 11th 2007, 6:09 am
Gone for Good

Originally Posted by northernbird
no need for that post Vash at all.
What was wrong with it? He was correcting inaccuracies in a previous post...
Old Jan 11th 2007, 6:15 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by binky
No he wasn't, he was guessing that my boy wasn't an Australian Citizen even thought there is noway he could know that. I on the other hand have both a certificate and a passport for him that proves he is.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 6:15 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by binky
In my view he was having a pop at someone who is clearly anti Australian. Most ordinary folk wouldn't know all the legislation mumbo jumbo and would assume that as a PR, any child born is an Australian citizen.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 6:18 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
No he isn't.

No you don't.

Thus:

Wikipedia.

So I have no idea why you are applying for Australian citizenship - especially since you claim to hate the place.
You really are a sad little man, You think you know me and my circumstances but you infact know squat. Both my wife and I are permenent residents and the boy was born here. He has a Citizenship certificate and an Australian passport. So pray tell me again, WHY is he infact not an Australian Citizen?
Old Jan 11th 2007, 6:18 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Australia Day??

In my view he was having a pop at someone who is clearly anti Australian. Most ordinary folk wouldn't know all the legislation mumbo jumbo and would assume that as a PR, any child born is an Australian citizen.
You make a fair point here; I do see how that post could be considered offensive.

I have now edited it.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 7:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Something is going over my head here (as usual )

How can this:

From 20 August 1986 a person born in Australia only acquired Australian citizenship by birth if at least one parent was an Australian citizen or permanent resident

mean that Arkon's son, who was born in Australia to an Australian PR visa holder mean that his son isn't a citizen
Old Jan 11th 2007, 7:23 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
Something is going over my head here (as usual )

How can this:

From 20 August 1986 a person born in Australia only acquired Australian citizenship by birth if at least one parent was an Australian citizen or permanent resident

mean that Arkon's son, who was born in Australia to an Australian PR visa holder mean that his son isn't a citizen
It doesn't, Wendy. Arkon and his wife are PR and therefore their son is a citizen.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 7:26 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iPom
It doesn't, Wendy. Arkon and his wife are PR and therefore their son is a citizen.

Cheers for that. I've read it about 30 times and thought 'eh'

Now I know it's not me for a change
Old Jan 11th 2007, 7:28 am
Account Closed

iPom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wendy
Cheers for that. I've read it about 30 times and thought 'eh'

Now I know it's not me for a change
It's never you, Wendy.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

Princess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nicePrincess Leia is just really nice

I can't type in all the reasons again so I'll just point you at a previous post where I came under fire for wanting it.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ip#post4184533

My boy is an Australian Citizen, so we need to be too now.
A smart thing to do. I know a few people whose elderly parents would like to move here to be closer to their families but cannot unless they join a long list or pay lots of money.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 7:40 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

Originally Posted by Princess Leia
A smart thing to do. I know a few people whose elderly parents would like to move here to be closer to their families but cannot unless they join a long list or pay lots of money.
Exactly and the last thing I want is to become some estranged parent in the future unable to visit without a visa. I would want to come and go as I please. Besides who knows in 20 years time Australia might have caught up with my expectations now and I also might be more ready for the quiet life.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.