Australia Day??

Old Jan 11th 2007, 11:28 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia Day??

Originally Posted by binky
Yeah, you can talk....

It's funny how people who constantly slag off Australia but continue to live here and want to gain citizenship get away with posting their nonsense without comment in return yet someone makes one comment and that's it....whatever.

This site use to be quite helpful now it's just a waste of webspace.....
So it's usefull only whilst people post things you agree with and only say nice things about Australia. As soon as you read things you dislike or don't agree with it becomes a waste of web space. Come to think of it, why did I just waste a few microns of finger skin to write this post? Wasted!
Old Jan 11th 2007, 11:45 am
Gone for Good

binky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by arkon
So it's usefull only whilst people post things you agree with and only say nice things about Australia. As soon as you read things you dislike or don't agree with it becomes a waste of web space. Come to think of it, why did I just waste a few microns of finger skin to write this post? Wasted!
Funny, that - I said the same to you once....

I never said I wanted to hear people say nice things about Australia - I can make my own mind up thank you and have....I just find it hypocritical that people want to continue to live here and try to get citizenship while saying they hate Oz and Australians. And the biggest laugh is someone like kiwi_child who spends time on a site for british expats spouting nonsense about how crap it is here and giving endless reasons as to why she can't leave

I'm not really interested in whether people say nice or nasty things. It's just that the site used to be helpful for things like good ideas for when you actually get here, blah, blah. Now it's just....it's shite here, don't come....I hate it, but I still want my citizenship, etc, etc, etc. People should make up their own minds about whether to come or not.....

I think I'm wasting my time too.....
Old Jan 11th 2007, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gjs
Shouldn't that be TRI centenary-?.
Being an Aussie I always make mistakes (see any of Arkon's threads). You correctly point out my deliberate mistake - well spotted! I was of course thinking of the fireworks display at Sydney Harbour in 1988 when I wrote that about the Act of Union. There were a few items on Scottish TV in the last few days examining how the 'sell out' occurred back in 1707.

OzTennis
Old Jan 11th 2007, 12:18 pm
sneaking a peek ...

Tiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond reputeTiggs+Graz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by binky

People should make up their own minds about whether to come or not.....
But surely people posting about how much they personally hate something DOES help other people to make up their own minds?! I certainly feel i have benefited from hearing the good and the bad experiences of others ...

anyway - back to the point of the thread ...

We (well Graz really!) have decided to have our own Australia Day celebrations here in the UK. It will be colder, damper and there will probably be less fireworks but on the plus there will be lots of beer

We thought that we would get into the swing before we get to Oz!

Tiggs
Old Jan 11th 2007, 12:39 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
Hi Pen

It's at the Currumbin palm beach RSL memorial club.

Is that near you?
Ooh, yes very close, and we are members - may well come and look.

Originally Posted by debsy
Looks like it will be a houseful then See ya there!
Oi you, when were you going to tell me Will definitely come down and cheer you guys on.

what time is it planned for. I don't do early so you might need to get the time changed
Old Jan 11th 2007, 12:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Ooh, yes very close, and we are members - may well come and look.

Oi you, when were you going to tell me Will definitely come down and cheer you guys on.

what time is it planned for. I don't do early so you might need to get the time changed
If you can get the time changed, that would be handy, it's 9am :scared:
Old Jan 11th 2007, 1:17 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

If you can get the time changed, that would be handy, it's 9am :scared:
Huummm, I might not get there for the beginning. Meet you in the bar at the end
Old Jan 11th 2007, 5:16 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Re: Australia Day??

Originally Posted by Wendy
Something is going over my head here (as usual )

How can this:

From 20 August 1986 a person born in Australia only acquired Australian citizenship by birth if at least one parent was an Australian citizen or permanent resident

mean that Arkon's son, who was born in Australia to an Australian PR visa holder mean that his son isn't a citizen
Sorry, I didn't realise he was PR.

Still doesn't explain why he "needs" Australian citizenship, though.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 7:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

That's alright mate. You know me, I read every thread so I knew he was PR

I can understand where he's coming from in the sense that it's hard being away from your kids whatever age they are. My son is in the UK, he's 20 this year and I miss him like crazy. His choice not to come, but I often think to myself what if I never see him again Doesn't bear thinking about

Luckily my lad wants to come out to visit this year, he want's to come over for a working holiday when he's finished Uni, he want's to live in Japan after that so will be a lot closer in the end.

But it does make sense for Arkon to get citizenship for the eventuality that his son wants to live here later in life
Old Jan 11th 2007, 8:36 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede

because when the son is an adult he may chose to come and live in the land of his birth. Arkon could potentially want to come and live here to be near him and possible grandkids. Citizenship makes that possible without having to fork out for more visas.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 8:49 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

I applied on the internet and, roughly, if I remember correctly, it took about a week to get an interview date, which was about three weeks after I applied. Then the letter of acceptance was sent a week after the interview. This was dealing directly with the Southport office. They were really lovely, I was so lucky to have the nicest lady, called Emily, deal with my application, who I had met before when I applied for my son's citizenship certs.
There was no stress, I wasn't really hoping for an Australia Day ceremony, it just worked out like that! I was so lucky that all went extremely smoothly.

Where would your ceremony take place?
our ceremony is on Yeppoon(CQLD) Main Beach at 9am FFS lol infront of the whole town, should be fun
Old Jan 11th 2007, 8:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
because when the son is an adult he may chose to come and live in the land of his birth. Arkon could potentially want to come and live here to be near him and possible grandkids. Citizenship makes that possible without having to fork out for more visas.
Basically, the same for me as well. I never ever wanted citizenship, couldn't see any reason to, I didn't give it a second thought until I looked at this very website. I would be the last person you would expect to see applying for it.
I can certainly see the logic in obtaining it for me, and after seeking advice on here I am very pleased I have gone through the process. The underlying principle of family ties is a very sound one, and I am doing it because my kids and husband are all Australians.
Also, I have to say that I more than met the criteria with 5+ years under my belt , I wasn't exactly tripping over myself in the rush to get it!
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by biggy
our ceremony is on Yeppoon(CQLD) Main Beach at 9am FFS lol infront of the whole town, should be fun
Congratulations, in front of the whole town! - hope they aren't bringing rotten fruit and veg with them :

Last edited by Rosie Cheeks; Jan 11th 2007 at 9:03 pm. Reason: The big grinning face didn't appear - oh no!
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:08 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Congratulations, in front of the whole town! - hope they aren't bringing rotten fruit and veg with them :

now that would be fun lol a food fight
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by biggy
now that would be fun lol a food fight
Sounds like a day out to me
It would have to be lamingtons, pav (yep say it like a local), vegemite sandwiches and a few pies perhaps to be in keeping with the Australia day theme

I hear that Yeppoon is a nice spot.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.