Australia Day??

Old Jan 11th 2007, 7:59 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Australia Day??

Originally Posted by binky
Just read through that other thread that Arkon posted and can't believe the amount of losers on this site who feel the need to slag off Australia because they've failed. Sad. Why don't they all just piss off back to the UK?

Anyway, off topic..........
Well....that's a helpful post
Old Jan 11th 2007, 8:10 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Ok, new to the country and still not sure what Australia Day is all about.
What is it's purpose and how do people celebrate.
Want to get into the action
In perth about 400,000 will attend the skyshow fireworks display on the foreshore. There are also smaller fireworks displays this year at armadale, freo, and hilary's.

A lot of people just have friends over for yet another BBQ and drinks(always good)

Ther might be free concerts or that happening too, but I'm not sure of details.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 8:12 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
To be expected G...You know how the place works
Old Jan 11th 2007, 8:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
And that was a predictable one Actually, it was quite wordy for you G
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
we had our interview at the end of AUGUST and I have had to hound them since Nov to try and get things processed for Australia Day. It all depends what office you send stuff to. Our application(along with another 999) got sent from Brissy to Southport which held things up, but all has come right in the end and just waiting on the official invitation from the council, but have been told our certificates jave been ordered and we are pencilled in for Aust Day
I applied on the internet and, roughly, if I remember correctly, it took about a week to get an interview date, which was about three weeks after I applied. Then the letter of acceptance was sent a week after the interview. This was dealing directly with the Southport office. They were really lovely, I was so lucky to have the nicest lady, called Emily, deal with my application, who I had met before when I applied for my son's citizenship certs.
There was no stress, I wasn't really hoping for an Australia Day ceremony, it just worked out like that! I was so lucky that all went extremely smoothly.

Where would your ceremony take place?
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:14 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rosie Cheeks
I applied on the internet and, roughly, if I remember correctly, it took about a week to get an interview date, which was about three weeks after I applied. Then the letter of acceptance was sent a week after the interview. This was dealing directly with the Southport office. They were really lovely, I was so lucky to have the nicest lady, called Emily, deal with my application, who I had met before when I applied for my son's citizenship certs.
There was no stress, I wasn't really hoping for an Australia Day ceremony, it just worked out like that! I was so lucky that all went extremely smoothly.

Where would your ceremony take place?
Rosie, where is your's happening? Might come and have a squizz
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paulrachel
Ok, new to the country and still not sure what Australia Day is all about.
What is it's purpose and how do people celebrate.
Want to get into the action
It's purpose is to remind those who have had 30,000/40,000/50,000 of them that it is only the last 218 of them since the Poms 'civilised' the country with their flotsam and jetsam that matter.

(please note that I am having a 'Have I got news for you' moment and don't take offence anyone).

OzTennis
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Co-incidentally, January 2007 is the bi-centenary of the Act of Union between Scotland and England. However, I don't see any fireworks and celebrations in Scotland like I did in Oz for the bi-centenary in 1988.

OzTennis
Old Jan 11th 2007, 9:31 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by binky
Just read through that other thread that Arkon posted and can't believe the amount of losers on this site who feel the need to slag off Australia because they've failed. Sad. Why don't they all just piss off back to the UK?

Anyway, off topic..........
nobody who packs in their life and moves 10,000 miles is a failure. For some the reality is different to the dream and it doesn't work out. Nothing wrong with that.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 10:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypen20
Rosie, where is your's happening? Might come and have a squizz
Hi Pen

It's at the Currumbin palm beach RSL memorial club.

Is that near you?

I wonder if any other BE folks will be there?

I still don't know what I am supposed to do, bit like a graduation ceremony I guess! And it is only me in our family, cause everybody else is already an Aussie, I will probably fall over or have my skirt tucked into my knickers or some such thing!
Old Jan 11th 2007, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute

I know what I'm doing on Australia day, I'm being sworn in as a citizen!

Does anybody know what you actually have to do??? Do you have to individually swear or do you do it together as a group?

It varies. On TV last year they showed footage of various citizenship ceremonies taking place around the country. There was a huge ceremony in Sydney where everyone spoke their bit together as one big crowd, too many people to do individually. Here in Mandurah, we became citizens on Australia Day in 2005. They called people up to the stage in families/couples. Those by themselves were invited to go up to the stage with other single people, to make it less nerve-wracking I suppose. We went up as a family of 5. The oath was printed on a sheet for us to read off, but I have to admit it was just as nerve-wracking for me as taking my wedding vows!

The best thing of all though, was that particular year there was only one family in Mandurah with young children being naturalised (us), and the local paper phoned to see if I would mind if they ran a story with a picture of my kids. Later on I found out they wanted the picture for the front cover! So Australia Day also reminds me of the day I went to fetch the local paper from the driveway, and my kids beaming faces were on the front.

If you live in Mandurah, the Big Breakfast starts at 7am on the foreshore. It costs just $5 and is served by volunteers from the community. The queue gets pretty long though, we couldn't believe there was such a big turnout for that time of the morning. The Mayor's speech and Citizenship ceremony takes place shortly after, and there are other things happening along the foreshore all day.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 10:23 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jacqui
It varies. On TV last year they showed footage of various citizenship ceremonies taking place around the country. There was a huge ceremony in Sydney where everyone spoke their bit together as one big crowd, too many people to do individually. Here in Mandurah, we became citizens on Australia Day in 2005. They called people up to the stage in families/couples. Those by themselves were invited to go up to the stage with other single people, to make it less nerve-wracking I suppose. We went up as a family of 5. The oath was printed on a sheet for us to read off, but I have to admit it was just as nerve-wracking for me as taking my wedding vows!

The best thing of all though, was that particular year there was only one family in Mandurah with young children being naturalised (us), and the local paper phoned to see if I would mind if they ran a story with a picture of my kids. Later on I found out they wanted the picture for the front cover! So Australia Day also reminds me of the day I went to fetch the local paper from the driveway, and my kids beaming faces were on the front.

If you live in Mandurah, the Big Breakfast starts at 7am on the foreshore. It costs just $5 and is served by volunteers from the community. The queue gets pretty long though, we couldn't believe there was such a big turnout for that time of the morning. The Mayor's speech and Citizenship ceremony takes place shortly after, and there are other things happening along the foreshore all day.
what a lovely story Jacqui.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 10:34 am
gjs
Forum Regular

gjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud ofgjs has much to be proud of
Talking Re: Australia Day??

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Co-incidentally, January 2007 is the bi-centenary of the Act of Union between Scotland and England. However, I don't see any fireworks and celebrations in Scotland like I did in Oz for the bi-centenary in 1988.

OzTennis
Shouldn't that be TRI centenary-?.
Old Jan 11th 2007, 10:46 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Hi Pen

It's at the Currumbin palm beach RSL memorial club.

Is that near you?

I wonder if any other BE folks will be there?

I still don't know what I am supposed to do, bit like a graduation ceremony I guess! And it is only me in our family, cause everybody else is already an Aussie, I will probably fall over or have my skirt tucked into my knickers or some such thing!
Looks like it will be a houseful then See ya there!
Old Jan 11th 2007, 11:05 am
Gone for Good

binky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud ofbinky has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
To be expected G...You know how the place works
Yeah, you can talk....

It's funny how people who constantly slag off Australia but continue to live here and want to gain citizenship get away with posting their nonsense without comment in return yet someone makes one comment and that's it....whatever.

This site use to be quite helpful now it's just a waste of webspace.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.