Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Ashes - Trent Bridge

Ashes - Trent Bridge

Old Aug 29th 2005, 9:12 am
wombat42

Default Re: Ashes - Trent Bridge

Originally Posted by darwinlad
A world cup win in Germany next year would be nice too...
Yes, winning two Ashes test matches makes winning the world soccer cup a foregone conclusion.

Old Aug 29th 2005, 9:26 am
Badge

Originally Posted by wombat42
Yes, winning two Ashes test matches makes winning the world soccer cup a foregone conclusion.
lol. With the Ashes, and the Rugby World Cup, it would then appear that England is on the mend.

me - I don't care - it just makes for good sport.

Badge

Old Aug 29th 2005, 9:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
Some of what you say is correct, however I have so far this series counted 7 dismissals that were given NOT OUT for the Australians, (mainly LBW's and also a couple of edges that were missed) so it really is swings and roundabouts. As someone who has played some cricket in my time, I can tell you when the ball is travelling at 80mph it is almost impossible to see it properly, never mind see if a batsman has got the faintest nick on it, then onto his pads, and thats at 80 mph, these guys are the next level and are bowling at 90+. Just continue to suck those sour grapes along with all the other whingers.
Geez, a few weeks of sour grapes compared to nearly 20 years.

I don't think it is swings and roundabouts as you put it - name 4 or 5 bad decisions in the 4th test for England???

Can't an umpire hear a nick? My point remains that the technology is there to get more decisions right and to ensure a fairer contest. I honestly don't mind if an English batsman is given not out because of the technology.

I've played some cricket too in my time and a friend of mine was a 90+ Test bowler (Alan Hurst) and I faced him many a time so I know what you mean. It's not a very pleasant experience on a firm track or even worse the matting over concrete wickets without a sight screen we used at school and uni!! Some other mates, all from the same area of Melbourne, played Test cricket (Bright) and Sheffield Shield (now Pura Cup). A school and club team with 2 Test players in it isn't too bad and we also had yonks ago an Aussie captain as headmaster (Woodfull). A 130 or 140 serve from 76 feet rather than 66 feet is an interesting experience too!!

The dissent (towards the umpiring not the opposition) of Ponting and Katich aside, it has been great to see the terrific spirit between both teams. Flintoff looks a genuinely nice guy and has a good rapport with his opponents, particularly Lee and Warne it seems.

I finish again by saying well done England, it has made for a memorable contest.

OzTennis
Old Aug 29th 2005, 9:48 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
It is perfectly within the rules for any player to leave the field of play for less than 8 minutes for a toilet break. What a short memory you have, the Aussies were on and off like a brides nightie in the recent home series against Pakistan, or have you forgotten that?
Correct & a sub can be used in any fielding position apart from bowler & keeper. Ponting is a pr*ck, he was the one making the suicide run. Aussie have had some great captains in the past, but Ponting ain't one of them.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 9:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Correct & a sub can be used in any fielding position apart from bowler & keeper. Ponting is a pr*ck, he was the one making the suicide run. Aussie have had some great captains in the past, but Ponting ain't one of them.
Have they done it this series in the searing 70 degree heat of an English summer?

I agree about Ponting as a captain but Border, Taylor and S Waugh is a pretty hard act to follow.

OzTennis
Old Aug 29th 2005, 11:11 pm
Go the BNE Roar

TrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond reputeTrickyTree has a reputation beyond repute

Come on OT you know it happens in every test match. What about Bell being given out twice caught behind when he never touched the ball in earlier tests. Could Jones have been given out with access to snicko all the ball on bat sounds are long thin lines on snicko whereas this was short and fat did it hit bat, did bat hit ground or did bat hit pad????? Personally I like the odd rough decision it gives us something to talk about in the pub. Take it on the chin you win some you loose some.
Old Aug 29th 2005, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

jacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond repute

don't care if there's dodgy decisions

still 2 - 1

steve
Old Aug 30th 2005, 12:31 am
A Male Member

PeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud ofPeteY has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jacknat
don't care if there's dodgy decisions

still 2 - 1

steve
Naa i agree, its part of the game. <sarcasm>Im sure the aussie would have been up in arms if bad decisions went thier way!!</sarcasm>

OzT.

Im quite glad we don't have all the TV upiring (you metioned it earlier). Have you watched american football? A game can last 4 hours and 2 of that waiting around for the refs.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 1:29 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Aussies are still going to retain the Ashes. They'll finally pull their fingers out and England will bottle it.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 1:30 am
Forum Regular

johnnet is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by renth
Aussies are still going to retain the Ashes. They'll finally pull their fingers out and England will bottle it.
Yawn yawn!!!
Old Aug 30th 2005, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

jacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond reputejacknat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
stop it

steve
Old Aug 30th 2005, 8:54 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: Ashes - Trent Bridge

2 -1 for sure, but they have not been convincing wins... 2 runs and 3 wickets. Could easily have been 2-1 to Australia and the Ashes.

The batting has been very disappointing for both teams in my opinion, except for the bowlers. Lee will be known as an all rounder soon.

Now honestly and with your head and not heart, name one team out of the 2.

Australia

Mathew Hadden
Justin Langer
Ricky Ponting
Damien Martyn
Michael Clarke
Simon Katich
Adam Gilchrist
Shane Warne
Brett Lee
Jason Gillespie
Glenn McGrath

England

Marcus Trescothic
Andrew Strauss
Michael Vaughan
Ian Bell
Andrew Flintoff
Kevin Pieterson
Gerant Jones
Ashly Giles
Mathew Hoggard
Simon Jones
Steve Harmison

1 Marcus Trescothic
2 Justin Langer
3 Ricky Ponting
4 Damien Martyn
5 Kevin Pieterson ?
6 Andrew Flintoff
7 Adam Gilchrist
8 Shane Warne
9 Brett Lee
10 Steve Harmison
11 Glenn McGrath

Imagine Freddy and Gilly in the middle together, I reckon spectators would want crash helmets

Last edited by Siren & Brian; Aug 30th 2005 at 8:57 am.
Old Aug 30th 2005, 9:06 am
Forum Regular

John has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond reputeJohn has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Siren & Brian]2 -1 for sure, but they have not been convincing wins... 2 runs and 3 wickets. Could easily have been 2-1 to Australia and the Ashes.

The batting has been very disappointing for both teams in my opinion, except for the bowlers. Lee will be known as an all rounder soon.

hahahahahaha!!!!!!

I don't think so somehow. Have you seen his batting average? It's less than 20. That's right, 20. Maybe if he gets a century.... nah!!

Last edited by John; Aug 30th 2005 at 9:15 am. Reason: typo
Old Aug 30th 2005, 9:11 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=John]
Originally Posted by Siren & Brian
2 -1 for sure, but they have not been convincing wins... 2 runs and 3 wickets. Could easily have been 2-1 to Australia and the Ashes.

hahahahahaha!!!!!!

I don't think so somehow. Have you seen his batting average? It's less than 20. Thats's right, 20. Maybe if he gets a century.... nah!!

Awww cmon he has been better than all the rest. Consistent and under pressure.

BTW I was just joshin with it before, but he is more than handy