Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Arrived in Adelaide on Rekkie Trip and Loving it!!

Arrived in Adelaide on Rekkie Trip and Loving it!!

Old Sep 11th 2006, 10:48 am
Made it to the Other Side

Toon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to all
Default Re: Arrived in Adelaide on Rekkie Trip and Loving it!!

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Good onya TW2, great to hear that you had such a great time.

I'm headed to Adelaide myself, and can fully understand your preference.

And there was me thinking we were the only aliens going to Adelaide!!

Seems so many have alot to say about how bad it is there, but we have tried VERY hard to confirm alot of comments made on here and other sites and keep failing!!
Old Sep 11th 2006, 11:04 am

Toon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to allToon Williams the Second! is a name known to all

Following on from yesterdays update post, today has sealed it with a capital S!!

We have driven out into "The Bush" today left at 8am this morning headed all the way down to Loxton stopping at various places on the way including Monash and The Big Orange we have seen some fantastic Australian scenery including the stunning River Murray!!

Took us about 2.5 hours to get to Loxton and with two young kids in the car thought it would be a nightmare long drive, but we all loved it and had a really great day!! Not sure of my daughters version of Eye Spy though, it was spot the Dead Kangaroo at the side of the road!! :scared: She was desperate to see a wild one jump out infront of us, so decided to just use the dead ones!! Nice!!

One of the highlights of the day was the tyre marks I left on the road (well isnt that what they ALL do here??) when a huge lizard thing ran out infront of the car while I was doing about 80k's!! Yuck!! Was the size of a bloody rabbit and never seen my OH move so fast he was out of the car like David Belamy photographing the thing!!

In Loxton we went to the Old Fashioned Village showing life in Oz a few years back and it was really educational to all of us!! Recommend a visit to all there!! The Big Orange was good fun to and the views from the top were exceptional!! Really loved the look of the towns on the way especially Berri (cant remember how to spell it!!) but whilst I would love to live there they are a little tooo remote for me!!

So another fantastic day out and highly recommend the trip to everyone with or without kids!!

It showed us the HUGE contrast of countryside available in Adelaide and how close it all is!!

North East Road is my worst nightmare but the Hills, the Beach, The Bush, etc etc etc means I can so cope with driving up and down a HUGE car lot every now and then!!

Thanks for all your comments!! Slightly worried about tomorrow as it is Ice Skating!! Just checked all the travel insurance is OK!! Can see a couple of broken bones by this time tomorrow!!
Old Sep 12th 2006, 1:36 pm
Forum Regular

carmil will become famous soon enoughcarmil will become famous soon enough

Hi there

What fantastic reading tis has been. Like russandkaren on the previous page, we are still very much at the will we/won't we stage and some of the negative comments would make you run a mile. But reading all your posts, and stories from your trip has been fantastic. We have 2 young children, age 8 and 5 and so have the same worries as you, with regards to schooling etc. The education system here (Scotland) leaves a lot to be desired as do the future job prospects, my OH works in IT and has all the qualifications and experience but should things go belly-up at the company he works at just now, it is almost impossible to get a similar job paying the kind of money he makes just now. Climate too, Scottish weather is nothing to talk about, anyone still in the UK, that area of dense grey cloud and torrential rain you see hovering above Englands is where Scotland is supposed to be ;-).

So anyway, keep it coming, all these positive reviews are great. One thing though, I gather you have done the Visa application process and are now looking for employment. How long from start to finish did the visa process take. We thought my OH would have to look for a job first and then apply for a visa. Any help/advice would be great. Hope all goes well for you, glad the kids loved it, makes it easier when you know they will be happy.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 4:58 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Arrived in Adelaide on Rekkie Trip and Loving it!!

Originally Posted by Toon Williams the Second!
One of the highlights of the day was the tyre marks I left on the road (well isnt that what they ALL do here??) when a huge lizard thing ran out infront of the car while I was doing about 80k's!! Yuck!! Was the size of a bloody rabbit and never seen my OH move so fast he was out of the car like David Belamy photographing the thing!!
A lizard the size of a rabbit is a small lizard. Wait until you see the size of the goannas. :scared:

North East Road is my worst nightmare but the Hills, the Beach, The Bush, etc etc etc means I can so cope with driving up and down a HUGE car lot every now and then!!
Well said. NER is Adelaide's hell; but the Hills are Adelaide's heaven.
Old Sep 13th 2006, 12:03 pm

Well the cases are packed!! Just!! :scared: They are bursting at the seams and we all feel sooooo sad!!

None of us want to go back to the UK and there have been many tears today, especially from my 7 year old, it is such a hard thing to understand all this for one so young!! Bless her she has made a very special friend here in Adelaide and to leave her is just tooooo much!!!

My 3 year old really couldnt give a toss, he just wants to get home to his bike!!!

Anyway signing out from this post now, as we take off for Singapore tomorrow morning!!!

None of us want to go back to the UK but watch this space as we will be back for good in February 2007!!!! And believe me we are counting the days!!
Old Sep 17th 2006, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

Andy & Carla has much to be proud ofAndy & Carla has much to be proud ofAndy & Carla has much to be proud ofAndy & Carla has much to be proud ofAndy & Carla has much to be proud ofAndy & Carla has much to be proud ofAndy & Carla has much to be proud ofAndy & Carla has much to be proud ofAndy & Carla has much to be proud ofAndy & Carla has much to be proud ofAndy & Carla has much to be proud of

Thanks so much for all your posts. We're hoping to go to Adelaide on an SIR and although it is not our first choice, you've made it sound like it could be a close second.

Thanks