Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone with a big house with a pool??

Anyone with a big house with a pool??

Old Apr 1st 2008, 3:36 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone with a big house with a pool??

Originally Posted by Wol
>>Anyone with a big house with a pool??<<

No, medium size house and no pool!

The biggest problem round here is keeping pools from freezing solid in winter, with the attendant problems of cracking and burst pipes - thus no desire to have one....

However - just up the road is an English retired couple who've just had a house built by our builder and they insisted on having a pool. Builder washed his hands of it & said it's entirely their problem! We are waiting with bated breath to see how it all turns out: their pool is only 20' from their living room windows and about 6' above them. Watch this space....
You need to move to QLD matey
Old Apr 1st 2008, 3:54 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Big House
Big Pool ( 120,000 litre ) marvellous !!
Big Yard
Big Mortgage

Not sure what you really wanna know.

However.... if its to find out if intrinsically you can buy more here for your good old english pound... erm.. not really.

If anything Australia, is much more expensive than the uk.

In Brisbane, I would say, the average house price is now, higher than that within the uk.
Wages are lower by comparison.
Fuel is cheaper, but then we do more miles/k's
Utility bills are somewhat cheaper.
Houses are larger.. but thats just a male ego thing, ask VIM, he has a HUGE one

Food is more expensive, beer is about the same, if not a a tad more expensive...

weird... how we make it stretch.. but dont for one minute think Oz is cheap, or a more lucrative proposition than Uk, you will sadly feel betrayed, by pommy propoganda !

Ste

Very much agree with this and also wise words of Brisben.

I have mentioned before that we have been pretty fortunate in Oz by not needing a huge mortgage and earning the same, if not slightly more than in the UK. We have a 4x2 and a medium-ish pool.

Find costs much of a muchness. Food and clothing more expensive. Mortgage much more expensive than at home, council tax not that much different, travel and child care about the same.

I remember reading the lovely Hutch and him commenting on the 'cash rich Brits' syndrome and I admit that for us it was certainly true. We arrived with a lot of flexible assets that went into cars, furniture, house buying etc and now that we live by the dollars we earn, I am starting to really notice how much things really cost.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 3:57 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Ps need to get a pool blanket. What should I expect to pay for a pool approx 15x8 feet-ish?

Should I also buy one of the reel things too?

Bit of a technical dunce, any help appreciated, website etc.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 4:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Our rates bills were $2200 pa, inc water, but the new qld valuations have made put the valuation up about 60%, i would have said rates here were much cheaper than UK council tax, with the new valuations the gap will close somewhat.

Leccy bills around $500 with unheated pool, no a/c use at all this year. That is expected to jump anything from 30 - 90 % if 'greener' electricity comes in, I am hoping that is media hype, but doubt it.

Car one 3 tanks a week petrol about $160 a week (tradie).

Car two school runs work etc only about $45 a week.

Both 4 cylinder vehicles.

Last edited by jad n rich; Apr 1st 2008 at 4:06 am.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

doje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of light

OK, im sure it wont be long before a mod deletes this but, we have bought a pool/spa maintenance business and are keen for work. So if youre in or around Adelaide and interested in maintenance, cleaning, pump installation etc, please PM us. Thought Id better not blatantly advertise the company, as that would surely mean sudden deletion!

donna
Old Apr 1st 2008, 4:54 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doje6863
OK, im sure it wont be long before a mod deletes this but, we have bought a pool/spa maintenance business and are keen for work. So if youre in or around Adelaide and interested in maintenance, cleaning, pump installation etc, please PM us. Thought Id better not blatantly advertise the company, as that would surely mean sudden deletion!

donna
Oh Donna your in big trouble this time...
Old Apr 1st 2008, 5:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
Ps need to get a pool blanket. What should I expect to pay for a pool approx 15x8 feet-ish?

I bought mine from these guys, it took about 10 days to get to me and was the cheapest I could find anywhere.

http://www.poolexpress.com.au/home.php?cat=261

I would suggest the roller, we didn't get one but I will be ordering one for next year.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 5:34 am
Born to be wild....

Originally Posted by Wendy
I bought mine from these guys, it took about 10 days to get to me and was the cheapest I could find anywhere.

http://www.poolexpress.com.au/home.php?cat=261

I would suggest the roller, we didn't get one but I will be ordering one for next year.
I think I need one too but I have a kidney shaped pool,

Do they make much difference to the temp ?
Old Apr 1st 2008, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

doje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of lightdoje6863 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Brisben
Oh Donna your in big trouble this time...
bovverred?
Old Apr 1st 2008, 5:36 am
A rather curious boy

melbourne pool company do kidney shaped ones
Old Apr 1st 2008, 5:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they do. If we put our blanket and solar heating on, the temp goes up at least 5 degrees after about 2 - 3 hours, just the blanket gives us about 2 degrees after about the same amount of time. Plus they save a lot of water too. Best thing I have bought (well except for the house with a pool that is )

You cut the one above to size, it's really easy and there is a video on the website on how to do it.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 5:38 am
A rather curious boy

Originally Posted by Wendy
Yes they do. If we put our blanket and solar heating on, the temp goes up at least 5 degrees after about 2 - 3 hours, just the blanket gives us about 2 degrees after about the same amount of time. Plus they save a lot of water too. Best thing I have bought (well except for the house with a pool that is )

You cut the one above to size, it's really easy

Ta Wenders
Old Apr 1st 2008, 7:37 am

dazah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Did you write manuals too?
nope just read a lot of them now im passed that and going into real estate thats where the money is with the banks taking all the houses back latley

looking at buying big once i get a licence not this naffy agents rep im doing
Old Apr 1st 2008, 8:16 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy

They do different grades of blanket. Here in WA if you get the good one, the Water Authority give you $200 back. Ours was around $600 for 8m x 4m (I think). Also the roller thingy I reckon is a must. I was against it (more expense) but it does mean we'll have a quick dip and put it back. My BIL in Perth hasnt got roller and balnket spends of it time off in summer.

Temp wise can make big difference. As per my previous post, our pool was up to 36 C in summer with blanket on everyday all day (except in use). Cant comment how it took to get there though. They quote for our blanket (a more expensive one) up to 8 deg C
Old Apr 1st 2008, 8:29 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

We are told, our pool is 120,000 litres... was thinking of solar heating for it, as I took a FARKN STOOPID RUN AND JUMP the other day, and my nipples snapped off !!!

I was rescued some hrs later from the top of a palm tree !!!

Will look into Solar Pool Heating.

The firm I contract to, sell the pumped heating systems, that basically work off an immersion, as much the same as any thru put system. Solar appeals to me, but the long black, tubing spaghetti on the roof, doth putteth me orf !

Ste

Welcome your Opininons and suggestions as can always be guaranteed lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.