Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anyone with a big house with a pool??

Anyone with a big house with a pool??

Old Mar 30th 2008, 11:13 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone with a big house with a pool??

Big House
Big Pool ( 120,000 litre ) marvellous !!
Big Yard
Big Mortgage

Not sure what you really wanna know.

However.... if its to find out if intrinsically you can buy more here for your good old english pound... erm.. not really.

If anything Australia, is much more expensive than the uk.

In Brisbane, I would say, the average house price is now, higher than that within the uk.
Wages are lower by comparison.
Fuel is cheaper, but then we do more miles/k's
Utility bills are somewhat cheaper.
Houses are larger.. but thats just a male ego thing, ask VIM, he has a HUGE one

Food is more expensive, beer is about the same, if not a a tad more expensive...

weird... how we make it stretch.. but dont for one minute think Oz is cheap, or a more lucrative proposition than Uk, you will sadly feel betrayed, by pommy propoganda !

Ste
Old Mar 30th 2008, 11:35 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

I think, as others have said, it depends on where in Aus vs where in UK.

I left UK, Kent/Surrey border 30 mins from central London. Now nr Bunbury WA. The house we have here (4 x 2, pool, 4000sqm) would be more than double in that part of UK.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 11:58 am
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

I have a pool and water is no problem with us. I have a solar blanket on it, which stops water from evaporating and keeps the chemicals in so well worth the cost. My water bills are generally no more than $50 a quarter for usage. I have had to top it up this week as forgot to put the blanket back on must have had to put about 3 inches worth in but generally only have to do that every 4 weeks.
Jenny
Old Mar 30th 2008, 12:11 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jensteve
I have a pool and water is no problem with us. I have a solar blanket on it, which stops water from evaporating and keeps the chemicals in so well worth the cost. My water bills are generally no more than $50 a quarter for usage. I have had to top it up this week as forgot to put the blanket back on must have had to put about 3 inches worth in but generally only have to do that every 4 weeks.
Jenny
Yeah good point. A good blanket is a must. I was convinced, especially considering the cost, but they do save loads on water and chemicals. And get the pool very hot too - we got ours up to 36C in Feb! Pass the soap!
Old Mar 30th 2008, 12:49 pm
Moved out bush!

jensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud ofjensteve has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Yeah good point. A good blanket is a must. I was convinced, especially considering the cost, but they do save loads on water and chemicals. And get the pool very hot too - we got ours up to 36C in Feb! Pass the soap!
Its like swimming in warm tea and we have the solar heating as well!
Jenny
Old Mar 30th 2008, 12:51 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Timber Floor Au;6131682]Big House

Must be a big pool , mines 30ft x 12 x6 at the deep end and holds 62,000 ltrs ??..............mm
Old Mar 30th 2008, 3:08 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by laguna33p
With property much affordable and getting more for your money in Oz, what exactly does the aussie dollar buy? Are the household bills similar to those in the UK? And can those pools be filled with the water restrictions?
5x2 double storey, with a pool on half an acre in the Perth Hills: $800-1m - probably less than the UK. Cost of livng similar to UK although groceries are much more expensive here. Utilities are less although there is no unmetered water. Salary double the UK. Tax higher.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 3:16 pm
Devil's Advocate

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Cost of livng similar to UK although groceries are much more expensive here. Utilities are less although there is no unmetered water. Salary double the UK. Tax higher.
Interesting thoughts. Not sure I agree. Groceries - some more, some less. Not much difference. Elec much more expensive, but then bigger house, pool etc.
Salaries some more some about the same. Tax more? Not sure when you consider NI contributions as well plus you can claim so much on tax here.

I guess everyones experience is different depending on what and where you have come.

Bottom line my feelings are cost of living about the same, maybe a bit more. Housing - loads more for your money.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 7:52 pm
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Big House
Big Yard
Big Mortgage

However.... if its to find out if intrinsically you can buy more here for your good old english pound... erm.. not really.

In Brisbane, I would say, the average house price is now, higher than that within the uk.

Food is more expensive, beer is about the same, if not a a tad more expensive...

weird... how we make it stretch.. but dont for one minute think Oz is cheap, or a more lucrative proposition than Uk, you will sadly feel betrayed, by pommy propoganda !

Ste
I truely agree here on this one. There are a few on here where money doesn't matter but for the rest of us.....ouch!

Cheers

Ginny
Old Mar 30th 2008, 11:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vim Fuego
Did you write manuals too?
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:02 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EvannTel
Interesting thoughts. Not sure I agree. Groceries - some more, some less. Not much difference. Elec much more expensive, but then bigger house, pool etc.
Salaries some more some about the same. Tax more? Not sure when you consider NI contributions as well plus you can claim so much on tax here.

I guess everyones experience is different depending on what and where you have come.

Bottom line my feelings are cost of living about the same, maybe a bit more. Housing - loads more for your money.
COL roughly the same. Groceries definitely more here. I personally pay a lot more tax here but I also earn a lot more so it's not a problem.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 12:08 am
Born to be wild....

Brisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond reputeBrisben has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Big House
Big Yard
Big Mortgage

Ste
I have the same, big house nice pool big yard etc, however big mortgage to go with it.

Your right it is expensive here, I have far less disposable income, mainly due to a big mortgage, the balance is that it costs less to entertain yourself and the children here.

Overall I have a better lifestyle here with less spare money.
Old Mar 31st 2008, 9:28 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brisben
I have the same, big house nice pool big yard etc, however big mortgage to go with it.

Your right it is expensive here, I have far less disposable income, mainly due to a big mortgage, the balance is that it costs less to entertain yourself and the children here.

Overall I have a better lifestyle here with less spare money.
Totally Agree with that
Old Mar 31st 2008, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

gillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud ofgillysm has much to be proud of

Pretty big house on 1 1/2 acres, pool - value is the same as the house we used to live in in south of England (which was 3 bed mid terrace) so it really does depend on where you're from and where you're going.
Hard for me to compare food, cars etc as we've been here a while but I've alwasy found you don't need much money to enjoy life here. I love the beach and I love walking my dogs, Brisbane & Sunshine Coast also put on some fantastic things for free.
Old Apr 1st 2008, 3:05 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>Anyone with a big house with a pool??<<

No, medium size house and no pool!

The biggest problem round here is keeping pools from freezing solid in winter, with the attendant problems of cracking and burst pipes - thus no desire to have one....

However - just up the road is an English retired couple who've just had a house built by our builder and they insisted on having a pool. Builder washed his hands of it & said it's entirely their problem! We are waiting with bated breath to see how it all turns out: their pool is only 20' from their living room windows and about 6' above them. Watch this space....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.