Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anybody got the visa and then decided not to go?

Anybody got the visa and then decided not to go?

Old May 11th 2010, 1:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond reputeSally Simpson has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody got the visa and then decided not to go?

It is usual to have last minute doubts as to wether you are making the right decision or not, it is a huge step! At the end of the day, only you know what is really right for you & your family. Try writing a list of the positives & negatives for each place & see what you come up with. Can you live with the thought that you never tried?
At the end of the day, if you come & it doesn't work, it does not need to be forever although moving back is costly.
Lots of luck with your thoughts Suzy!
Old May 11th 2010, 2:38 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

You have to try it yourself to really find out if it's right for you.

There are negative posts on here, but there are also a lot of positive posts too. Overall the cost of living here is comparative to the UK. The only real difference is the lack of affordable housing (probably the same for South-East UK). As long as you secure a well paid job, I don't think it's a problem.

The main issues with emigrating are family and work. I don't think these ever change.
Old May 11th 2010, 4:16 am
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point

I too used to read all the negative posts and start wobbling, but in the end hubby didn't have a job in the UK and what did we have to lose.

He landed and got a job straight away (not always the case I know). I followed on 3 months later (been here 11 days).

The last few weeks and definitely days in the UK were overwhelming for me all what I had to do on my own with 2 children, but I did, I made it, I'm here. It is different but so far a good different, the weather does help IMO!

I'm a nervous wreck mind you I jump everytime I hear a noise in the garden or something flies at me, just something I will have to get over.....

Try it, it's the only way you will know for sure

Good luck
Old May 11th 2010, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Great post, "Techno Freak".

We moved to Singapore 13 years ago to get us out of comfort zone. We had no kids, reasonable incomes but we spent all our money on holidays and wanted an adventure.

13 years on we've had enough of Singapore, but financially and career wise it was a great move, and having made that leap once it's never as hard the second time. Interestingly our move made a few people back home quite uncomfortable and made them look at their lives in new ways.

We've spent about 10 years dreaming/planning/organising a move to Perth and building a house there and we move at the end of the year. Even so, I've been really jittery the last few months - a combination of crap exchange rate, worries about sick parents, uncertainty about jobs.

But as soon as I get to Perth my spirits rise and it feels like home in a way that Singapore never has. We have to move by May 2011, so the worst case scenario is we give it a try and if we don't like it we can go back to the UK, but after 13 years we'd struggle to settle there too.

The jobs thing has firmed up a lot in the last couple of weeks and I feel a lot less jittery. It's totally natural to feel like this.

I remember just before we left for Singapore we had some horrendous rows as we were both terrified but when we landed it brought us closer together.

Good luck.
Old May 11th 2010, 5:34 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Techno Freak
Well said paularn.

Don't confuse your worries about economy etc with normal feelings of apprehension and trepidation. Don;t look for an excuse not to go.

We were 110% for Australia when we started our independent PR visa applications, we had talked about going for 10 years and never put the plan into action. We never really thought we'd get an independent visa as there were so many hoops to jump through.

As it started to look more and more likely that we would get the visas, we started to get more and more apprehensive! We were giving up friends, family, good jobs and a great house to move to the other side of the world and start all over again. By the time our departure date was only a week away we got very nervous indeed, we wouldn't have pulled out, but we did 'test' each other a coupe of times in those last few days....along the lines of we still have time to cancel. To be honest, if the other had agreed when one of those comments were made, maybe we would have canceled. Looking back though, it was a mixture of absolute excitement about the adventure that we were about to start, mixed with the absolute terror of thinking about moving to a country to start a new life in a city we'd only spent 3 weeks in prior.

Yes, we had a good life in the UK and we really didn't know what would be ahead of us in Australia. What we did know, and what helped the decision to go were a few key things:-

1 - We looked back over the previous 10 years and realized that in the last 7 we had done nothing different or exciting. We spent time with the same friends, hung out in the same places and lived the same routines. Those 7 years went by so fast.

2 - We spoke to old friends of my parents in the last few weeks before leaving, They, as had many other of my parents generation, said they wish they'd have done it years ago. They remarked on how they remembered my Mum coming to see them, on the same house they are still in now, 30 years ago to tell them Mum was pregnant with me and now here I was moving to Australia and there they were, still in the same house, going to the same pub and musing on what their lives would have been 'IF' they had done something different all those years ago.

3 - The 'What If' scenario. We had come so far and spent so long researching Australia and trying to get the visas that we knew we would definitely be in the 'What If we'd done that' camp by the time we were old. We're not one for regretting decisions we've made, you make your choices based on whats right at the time, but the thought of sitting in a cold damp UK flat in my 80's thinking about what my life would have been if we'd tried Australia scared the shit out of me.

4 - We're not adventurous people, usually happy to do the easy, comfortable thing. Moving to Australia and traveling across the USA & South America on the way was like an unbelievable adventure that 'other people do'. The thought of being an adventurer for a while was the most unbelievably exciting thing.

5 - We could always come back. That was the clincher. We worked out that if we moved, and HATED it, we'd stick it our for 2 years no matter what and then go 'home', or try somewhere else. We figured it would put us back by say 5 years if we had to return, but though the life experience, bad or good, but be worth it. After all, those 5 years would only have been spent sat in the same living room, going to the same job and drinking in the same pub anyway.

So, we got on that plane.....and we've never looked back. Sure, there have been a few down times. I hated my first job, it took Emma a long time to find a job (which she also disliked for a long time), some things are expensive, we cant afford to travel as much as we would have liked, but the good things far outweigh. We've made great new friends, live in a lovely part of the world and consider ourselves lucky every day, especially when your sat in the beer garden or sat on the beach on a summers day.

We've been here almost three years now and we have done more in that time than we did in the last 7 back 'home'. In fact, the move has definitely changed us in some respects, we're not content to sit back and be comfortable anymore. We try and do different things, I always like to have a project on the go. Life's to short to sit still.

Will we be here for ever? Probably not, and that's not because we don;t want to, but more to do with the sense of adventure that was gained in moving here in the first place. For now we love it, but there will come a time when that feeling of venturing into the unknown will become to strong to ignore. As scary as it was, if you have an open mind and a good work ethic life will be what you make of it. Enjoy the good times, make the most of the thrill and excitement of moving, accept that it will take a long time to settle and that you may have to do it hard for the first year or two, an d always try and look for the good in the bad. Above all, keep an open mind and be proud that you've stepped outside your comfort zone in a big way and at least you'll never be sat in your cold damp flat thinking....what if.

Whatever you decide, best of luck to you and don;t dwell on the would have beens. You make the decisions that are best for you at the time.

Good luck.
Great post
Old May 11th 2010, 7:57 am
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

I know where you're coming from. We were set to emigrate to Canada in 2008 and backed out just before our visas came through due to the recession, other financial issues and the realisation that it wasn't the country for us (and it wasn't like we'd rushed into it - we'd weighed up all the pros and cons and stupidly kept telling ourselves that the cold weather wouldn't be an issue, but we'd have had to live in Winnipeg for 2 years and that's the kind of place where, if your child refuses to wear his jacket or hat, he can get frostbite and die! So not really the right weather for very young children, lol. Plus there were other issues...).

Almost 1.5 yrs on we're still not happy in the UK, despite having given it our best shot. France would be my first choice (having lived / worked there when I was young) but due to language constraints on my husband's part it's just not possible at the moment.

USA would be next on our list but that's just an impossible country to get into.

So back to Australia (which was our 1st option before Canada but the distance and dangerous creatures put us off). Distance and dangerous creatures are still an issue but not so much, as each day my weariness with the UK overshadows my fear for my children's safety vis-a-vis sharks / spiders / snakes / stingray, etc, and the one thing that would stop me going is the distance - my dad was ill recently and it made me thankful that we were still in the country to be there for him. He's better now but it still weighs on my mind... but do you put your life on hold until your parents are no longer around or do you live it now and hope they're around long enough for you to visit every few years??

Things putting us off are the house prices (we only have a budget of £140k and that's on UK interest rates, i.e. 3.59%, not the high Aussie rates), cost of living (although quite rightly, providing the wages are higher this wouldn't be an issue), and the uncertainty of what's happening with the Aussie economy (I understand they haven't yet been in recession so is it imminent or will they escape it?). Oh, and the immigration laws changing! We were counting on getting 10 points for my husband's job being on the MODL and that's been removed now so we don't even know if we can get in.... (despite immigration companies constantly emailing us saying "Congratulations! You've successfully passed the test and have enough points to emigrate!" - how?? I figure we only get 105??!!!).

I also read the negative posts and think that, though they are worth taking into consideration (you need to know the bad bits too and go over with your eyes open and not rose-tinted spectacles), you need to think how relevant they are to your own situation and maybe read other forums to get a broader perspective. People always prefer to cite the negatives rather than the positives - it's a British thing! I guess it's because going on about how great life is makes us sound like we're boasting and we're too introverted for that!

Anita & Sean
Old May 11th 2010, 9:30 am
Forum Regular

Location: Toronto, Canada - Darwin NT - Newcastle NSW - Toronto - Townsville QLD - Brisbane - Toronto
paularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud ofpaularn has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by seanyg
we'd weighed up all the pros and cons and stupidly kept telling ourselves that the cold weather wouldn't be an issue, but we'd have had to live in Winnipeg for 2 years and that's the kind of place where, if your child refuses to wear his jacket or hat, he can get frostbite and die! So not really the right weather for very young children, lol. Plus there were other issues...)
As a Canadian THIS caught my eye...WHY on earth would you HAVE to live in Winterpeg....I mean Winnipeg?!?!?

You know how cold it can get there??

That would be the last place I would call home....even for 2 years! That would be 2 years too long.
Old May 11th 2010, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, we've decided to keep things on hold for a while. With the horrendous exchange rate being the way it is, our initial dream of a trip of a lifetime journey down and then a year off to go travelling and get to be as a family finally is well and truly dead, in which case, we can't justify going .... at the moment. We may well about-turn were the exchange rate to improve (we've got a good while left on our permanent residency visa); we shall have to see. We've decided in the meantime to make more changes in our lifestyle and put the kids into private school (as their state school was pretty bad), which has made a huge difference to how we feel as a family. Will we regret it if we don't go? Who knows; that's a bridge we'll have to cross. In the meantime though, we are doing well here and are happy. The political situation however may well be a bit of a clincher in the near future as it looks increasingly like things are going to rat shit. If you are 100% committed, don't have too many commitments (not sure if you have kids and therefore the whole schooling issue to contend with) and can afford to come back if things don't work out then I would say do it in a heartbeat. If you can improve things here like us and wait things out for a bit then do it - there may well be an element of the old nerves rearing their ugly heads.

I am a bit of a scaredy cat and so admire the folk on here who take such a leap of faith. You may well go and look back on this thinking "why did I even contemplate not going?" Good luck
Old May 11th 2010, 11:23 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mohogony
Don't immigrate to OZ, theres no shortage of people that will take your place.
If they can afford the very high cost of living
Old May 11th 2010, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

Thought about not coming because of all the negative comments and after talking to people over here. Then like a prat thought to myself better go see for yourself. At least its sunny!
Old May 11th 2010, 11:33 am
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

USA would be next on our list but that's just an impossible country to get into.

So back to Australia (which was our 1st option before Canada but the distance and dangerous creatures put us off). Distance and dangerous creatures are still an issue but not so much, as each day my weariness with the UK overshadows my fear for my children's safety vis-a-vis sharks / spiders / snakes / stingray, etc, and the one thing that would stop me going is the distance -

Anita & Sean
Not immigrating to OZ becasue of Dangerous creatures really makes sense, Did you realise people get eaten by grizzly bears in Canada so why arent you worried about that? You said you wanted to immigrate to the USA, don't they have sharks, venomous snakes and spiders there just like OZ does.
ALL the dangerous creatures in OZ kill around 10 people a year, more people die from falling trees hitting them . Hundreds of times more people are killed in a car/ road accidents in OZ then by any of the dangerous wildlife so why is that danger not a factor in your decision to immigrate? Dogs casue the most death and injury to kids in OZ , not snakes, sharks or spiders,

Last edited by mohogony; May 11th 2010 at 11:49 am.
Old May 11th 2010, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

xzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of lightxzibit is a glorious beacon of light

I applied for my visa when the exchange rate was good, and by the time I validated in December 2008, it was below 2.0, so I decided to put it off for a while whilst it recovered..... silly me.

I'm thinking about going later this year and just take the hit. We'll see. I couldn't apply and not go though. I would always regret it.

I have to be there before November 2013.
Old May 11th 2010, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

I know where you're coming from. We were set to emigrate to Canada in 2008 and backed out just before our visas came through due to the recession, other financial issues and the realisation that it wasn't the country for us (and it wasn't like we'd rushed into it - we'd weighed up all the pros and cons and stupidly kept telling ourselves that the cold weather wouldn't be an issue, but we'd have had to live in Winnipeg for 2 years and that's the kind of place where, if your child refuses to wear his jacket or hat, he can get frostbite and die! So not really the right weather for very young children, lol. Plus there were other issues...).

Almost 1.5 yrs on we're still not happy in the UK, despite having given it our best shot. France would be my first choice (having lived / worked there when I was young) but due to language constraints on my husband's part it's just not possible at the moment.

So back to Australia (which was our 1st option before Canada but the distance and dangerous creatures put us off). Distance and dangerous creatures are still an issue but not so much, as each day my weariness with the UK overshadows my fear for my children's safety vis-a-vis sharks / spiders / snakes / stingray, etc, and the one thing that would stop me going is the distance - my dad was ill recently and it made me thankful that we were still in the country to be there for him. He's better now but it still weighs on my mind... but do you put your life on hold until your parents are no longer around or do you live it now and hope they're around long enough for you to visit every few years??

Things putting us off are the house prices (we only have a budget of £140k and that's on UK interest rates, i.e. 3.59%, not the high Aussie rates), cost of living (although quite rightly, providing the wages are higher this wouldn't be an issue), and the uncertainty of what's happening with the Aussie economy (I understand they haven't yet been in recession so is it imminent or will they escape it?). Oh, and the immigration laws changing! We were counting on getting 10 points for my husband's job being on the MODL and that's been removed now so we don't even know if we can get in.... (despite immigration companies constantly emailing us saying "Congratulations! You've successfully passed the test and have enough points to emigrate!" - how?? I figure we only get 105??!!!).

I also read the negative posts and think that, though they are worth taking into consideration (you need to know the bad bits too and go over with your eyes open and not rose-tinted spectacles), you need to think how relevant they are to your own situation and maybe read other forums to get a broader perspective. People always prefer to cite the negatives rather than the positives - it's a British thing! I guess it's because going on about how great life is makes us sound like we're boasting and we're too introverted for that!

Anita & Sean
I was worried about my kids safety in oz with regards to the creatures. First week in brisbane some poor kid got stabbed and died in school. Thought i was getting them away from that type of culture.
Old May 11th 2010, 11:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Wendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of lightWendy66 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by paularn
If you listen to everything people say .... you'll never experience life and you could miss out on something wonderful.

Its not paradise and it doesn't work for *everybody* - but what does?

But there are also heaps who wouldn't do anything different, like myself, I love it here, I'm in a way better paying job, so is my husband, our 9yr old daughter has settled in beautifully, the weather is fantastic in north Queensland. The only thing missing is family.

What irks me is when people get on here and bash the place with how bad this is or that is or get pissed off over a bumper sticker they saw

We are all the owners of our own happiness....you come you put full effort into making it work or you'll be unhappy. There are rough patches, absolutely....nobody will say its easy.

If you don't go, then you live with 'should I have gone'....'why didn't I go'....'I kick myself for not going'.

Then again, if you are fine with that, you stay home and be happy with your life where it is.

Bottom line, nobody can tell you whether you should go or not. But I sure as hell wouldn't be basing MY decision on what is said on an internet forum. NOTHING is perfect. If we all looked for guarantees on everything we would never take chances.
Well said. Before we came over some of the stuff said on here really worried me, but the last 13 months have been great and I've learnt alot of the stuff on here to ignore. Everyone's different, read and research all you can and make your own mind up.
Old May 11th 2010, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

If you think about it the number of anti-oz posters that come onto this forum probably run into hundreds at most. The ones that are prepared to put their money where there mouth is and actually get a plane back to the 'Kingdom of Doom' even less.
How many thousand successful and happy immigrants does that leave,look at the stats ? Well,obviously they're far too happy and contented to be frequently posting on a forum like this because they're getting on with their lives.
I'm liking anything by Damon Albarn at the moment especially The Good,The Bad and the Queen. 'Today is dull and mild
On a stroppy little island of mixed up people'
Great to whistle to at work.

Last edited by Droidling; May 11th 2010 at 11:59 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.