Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anybody got the visa and then decided not to go?

Anybody got the visa and then decided not to go?

Old May 12th 2010, 3:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Anybody got the visa and then decided not to go?

Originally Posted by Droidling
Hundreds of times more people are killed in a car/ road accidents in OZ then by any of the dangerous wildlife
This doesn't surprise me in the slightest, given the prevalence of drink-drivers on the roads in WA (when I was staying there!). My friend (who emigrated there 25 years ago) openly admitted that this is a problem over there.

Not sure if it's a WA thing or an Aussie thing...?
Old May 12th 2010, 4:01 pm
Banned

mohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to beholdmohogony is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by seanyg
The bears in Canada don't normally tend to wander into your back garden, whereas spiders and snakes ARE found in urban areas in Australia (my friend's lived there for 25 years and told me this), Also, when we were over there my husband trod on an Eastern Brown snake in Nimbin (luckily it was 2am and cold so the snake was quite dopey and didn't react - we thought it was just a stick! - I went back to have a closer look! - hubby was only wearing flip flop sandal things too!) and I trod on a stingray in the water (it shot out from under my feet luckily). Oh, and whilst in WA with my friend our powerboat broke down and she thought it was the right time to mention the recent sightings of bull sharks, lol! Lastly, we found a couple of redback spiders in her jetski garage on 2 separate occasions.

So excuse me for sounding paranoid but if we move to Oz then splashing around in the sea and playing in the garden will become large parts of our children's lives and I have to accept that I won't be totally comfortable with that - not at first, anyway. Maybe after a while I'll get used to it.

Basically, I'd take my chances crossing the road
l've lived in OZ for 30 years go swimming in the ocean and camping in the bush all the time and have never been bitten or attacked by anything except some ants and wasps. Every single Aussie family l know are perfectly comfortable letting their children play in the garden and splash in the ocean.

Last edited by mohogony; May 12th 2010 at 4:11 pm.
Old May 12th 2010, 4:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

I think if you knew me you wouldn't be surprised by the numerous 'encounters' I had whilst over there - everyone I know says I attract trouble! In fact, I don't recall a single holiday where I haven't had some 'crisis', be it having all my money stolen, breaking limbs or getting stranded on the top of a black run in the Alps in just a pair of snow shoes etc. Oh, and I also got lost in the bush whilst in Oz! (that said, I could get lost walking round Eyres Rock ).

So my point is, although these things are rare occurrences, knowing my luck I'd be one of the few people to whom they'd happen (or to whose children they'd happen - if they've inherited my unlucky genes, lol).

I guess the reason most Aussies aren't worried about this sort of thing is because they've grown up with it and it's just become part of their lives. Same way if you live in a city you probably lock your car doors in traffic...
Old May 13th 2010, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

We came out here two weeks ago and I didn't bother posting the usual "I'm finally leaving" thread on here due to what I see as the overwhelming amount of moaning that goes on here. (I know I'll get some flack for saying that).

So far we've had our ups and downs but can see that we could have a life here that we could only dream of in the UK. To be honest we haven't noticed that it is that expensive here although yes housing is expensive as long as you commit yourself to one of the major cities. But if you're prepared to go a a bit further out you can still get a bargain in some lovely locations.

I'm glad we moved and at the moment can't really see why we would want to come back.

PS An important thing to remember is that most of the people that love it and stay aren't posting on here as they are out enjoying their new lives.

Last edited by 77hil; May 13th 2010 at 1:03 am.
Old May 13th 2010, 1:17 am
Pie Eater

coolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud ofcoolshadows has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by 77hil
We came out here two weeks ago and I didn't bother posting the usual "I'm finally leaving" thread on here due to what I see as the overwhelming amount of moaning that goes on here. (I know I'll get some flack for saying that).

So far we've had our ups and downs but can see that we could have a life here that we could only dream of in the UK. To be honest we haven't noticed that it is that expensive here although yes housing is expensive as long as you commit yourself to one of the major cities. But if you're prepared to go a a bit further out you can still get a bargain in some lovely locations.

I'm glad we moved and at the moment can't really see why we would want to come back.

PS An important thing to remember is that most of the people that love it and stay aren't posting on here as they are out enjoying their new lives.
There's no better place to be. House wise, we are limited by work being in the City (.Net Developer - and I don't want to commute more than 45mins ), if you can get rural work all the better. In fact, the further 'outback' the better value I'm sure.
Old May 13th 2010, 6:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Good on ya and congrats on making it to Oz. Enjoy!
Old May 13th 2010, 8:43 am
JAK
BE Enthusiast

JAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud ofJAK has much to be proud of

Thank you for posting this. I have read a few positive posts recently which does help those of us who are still hoping to make it there one day and makes all what we are going through to get there worthwhile. I wish you lots of luck with your new life.
Old May 13th 2010, 8:48 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seanyg
This doesn't surprise me in the slightest, given the prevalence of drink-drivers on the roads in WA (when I was staying there!). My friend (who emigrated there 25 years ago) openly admitted that this is a problem over there.

Not sure if it's a WA thing or an Aussie thing...?
how on earth can you tell that someone is drink driving?
Old May 13th 2010, 9:12 am
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JAK
Thank you for posting this. I have read a few positive posts recently which does help those of us who are still hoping to make it there one day and makes all what we are going through to get there worthwhile. I wish you lots of luck with your new life.
No worries. Take notice of the negative comments about the country on here but not too much notice. Remember why you wanted to come here in the first place. At the end of the day there are people on here that are daft enough to complain about things such as the Australian accent.....probably shouldn't have moved to Australia then eh! Plonkers.
Old May 13th 2010, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Originally Posted by northernbird
how on earth can you tell that someone is drink driving?
They usually drift towards other cars/kerbs
Old May 13th 2010, 12:44 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute

My brother had his visa - 136 - didnt validate it, he fell in love etc...

Now 3 years on he/they have a baby and hes desperate to move over here - however hes older, obviously, and has lost points and his skills are no longer in demand.
Hes now doing the hard 'er' route of sticking his job out for another 18mths to get the relevant work experience for a new ACS? assessment and then apply for a 176 visa...if theyre still around then...
He could come over through his company in 18mths, which would be quicker and easier - just got to see if the offer is still there after he finishes his contract in russia.
Old May 13th 2010, 1:08 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
They usually drift towards other cars/kerbs
Might not be drunk, might be on phone, looking at a map etc etc (all of which are unsafe I might add). Just because someone veers over the road doesn't mean they are drunk.
Old May 13th 2010, 1:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katsmajic
My brother had his visa - 136 - didnt validate it, he fell in love etc...

Now 3 years on he/they have a baby and hes desperate to move over here - however hes older, obviously, and has lost points and his skills are no longer in demand.
Hes now doing the hard 'er' route of sticking his job out for another 18mths to get the relevant work experience for a new ACS? assessment and then apply for a 176 visa...if theyre still around then...
He could come over through his company in 18mths, which would be quicker and easier - just got to see if the offer is still there after he finishes his contract in russia.
I've never understood why someone would go through all the work and expense of getting a visa and then not using it (unless it was impossible to obviously).

Last edited by Alfresco; May 13th 2010 at 1:16 pm.
Old May 13th 2010, 1:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nicesuzyambrose is just really nice

Originally Posted by northernbird
Might not be drunk, might be on phone, looking at a map etc etc (all of which are unsafe I might add). Just because someone veers over the road doesn't mean they are drunk.
No, but you asked how you can tell if someone is drink driving, and without seeing them with a pint in their hand at the wheel, not being able to drive straight is one of the ways of knowing.
Old May 13th 2010, 1:27 pm
Gutter Gob!!

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
No, but you asked how you can tell if someone is drink driving, and without seeing them with a pint in their hand at the wheel, not being able to drive straight is one of the ways of knowing.
It is one of the many reasons you could consider if someone wasn't driving straight. The poster said given the prevalence of drink-drivers on the roads in WA I am not sure how you could tell just by driving around that there are a high number of drink drivers on the road. Very odd.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.