Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Anybody got the visa and then decided not to go?

Anybody got the visa and then decided not to go?

Old May 13th 2010, 1:29 pm
broken but got a visa! :

katsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond reputekatsmajic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody got the visa and then decided not to go?

He paid an agent to do the lot, cost a bomb and then after the grant and in the time he had left to validate he had loads of work trips to usa and russia, and he wanted to see the gf in russia so didnt worry about the visa until suddenly he had 1mth left and then only 1 weekend free...i pestered and pestered to get him validate and he didnt.
bloody fool...hes now paying the same agent to go through the whole process again...more money than sense!
Hes said hes not bringing his son up in uk or russia - she wasnt happy about moving over but after their recent visit shes prepared to try it...and madly he has all the rights to the baby, he can move over with the baby and she has no say in the matter...he wouldnt do it to her but if she did refuse to move here he could bring the baby and she cant stop him.

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I've never understood why someone would go through all the work and expense of getting a visa and then not using it (unless it was impossible to obviously).
Old May 13th 2010, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

seanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to beholdseanyg is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by northernbird
how on earth can you tell that someone is drink driving?
A few times (in a bar) we saw people get into their cars having drank a fair bit (and obviously over the limit) and on more than one occasion we saw someone actually SWIGGING FROM A TINNY behind the wheel! Unbelievable...
Old May 13th 2010, 11:11 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seanyg
A few times (in a bar) we saw people get into their cars having drank a fair bit (and obviously over the limit) and on more than one occasion we saw someone actually SWIGGING FROM A TINNY behind the wheel! Unbelievable...
Good luck in Canada then because I can tell you it is quite prevalent there too. I do hope you have visited Winnipeg????
Old May 14th 2010, 1:15 am
BE Enthusiast

77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light77hil is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Alfresco
I've never understood why someone would go through all the work and expense of getting a visa and then not using it (unless it was impossible to obviously).
I'm fascinated by this also. I know relatives that channelled all their energies into getting a visa but had never even been to Australia. I think drowning yourself in the visa process is easy escapism. You’re not actually leaving the UK at this point but you can get all excited about possibly doing so. Only when you get the visa do you then have to seriously consider leaving everything you know behind. In short, applying for the visa is the easy part!
Old May 14th 2010, 1:54 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Might not be drunk, might be on phone, looking at a map etc etc (all of which are unsafe I might add). Just because someone veers over the road doesn't mean they are drunk.
Ive seen people actually driving clutching a bottle of beer or something, swigging it in the traffic lights

My ex colleague usually has a beer in the drinks holder of his car

Bloody piss headed bastards, did you see that guy on TV the other night who had killed that little girl, he had been banned lots of times but wouldnt give up driving.
Old May 14th 2010, 2:06 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I can't speak for WA but in Qld it certainly seemed prevelant - how would you know - because many people didn't seem to find it that socially unacceptable. People would sometimes have a good laugh on a Monday morning about how they drove home on Friday night after getting plastered after work.

Or there was my ex's brother and his wife who would set off home down the Bruce Highway after a day spent drinking, them in the front, esky in the middle, kid in the back.

Yes, anecdotal, I know.
Old May 14th 2010, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

eugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond reputeeugene43 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
I can't speak for WA but in Qld it certainly seemed prevelant - how would you know - because many people didn't seem to find it that socially unacceptable. People would sometimes have a good laugh on a Monday morning about how they drove home on Friday night after getting plastered after work.

Or there was my ex's brother and his wife who would set off home down the Bruce Highway after a day spent drinking, them in the front, esky in the middle, kid in the back.

Yes, anecdotal, I know.
We have decided to leave it for 18 months for financial reasons. I think oz could implod on its self over this time ie interest rates,morgage stress,china & every likely hood of a house market crash which selfishly is ok with me. uk in the next 18 months I can see interest up (good for my savings £90,000)not a problem for my morgage as it is only £30,000.The £ will be over $2,00 + again.My house price will be up at present about £230,000. Will be abel to save anouther £60,000.If we left now we would lose thousands of $ leave later gain thousands $ of dollars so why rush it as we have the luxury of the 5 years to move.
Old May 14th 2010, 5:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Techno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond reputeTechno Freak has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eugene43
We have decided to leave it for 18 months for financial reasons. I think oz could implod on its self over this time ie interest rates,morgage stress,china & every likely hood of a house market crash which selfishly is ok with me. uk in the next 18 months I can see interest up (good for my savings £90,000)not a problem for my morgage as it is only £30,000.The £ will be over $2,00 + again.My house price will be up at present about £230,000. Will be abel to save anouther £60,000.If we left now we would lose thousands of $ leave later gain thousands $ of dollars so why rush it as we have the luxury of the 5 years to move.
You could get hit by a bus tomorrow......(not saying you will, or hope you do - but you get my point).
Old May 14th 2010, 5:57 am
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

Could not agree with you more.
Old May 14th 2010, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

Crystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond reputeCrystaltipps has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Damson
Yep, we've decided to keep things on hold for a while. With the horrendous exchange rate being the way it is, our initial dream of a trip of a lifetime journey down and then a year off to go travelling and get to be as a family finally is well and truly dead, in which case, we can't justify going .... at the moment. We may well about-turn were the exchange rate to improve (we've got a good while left on our permanent residency visa); we shall have to see. We've decided in the meantime to make more changes in our lifestyle and put the kids into private school (as their state school was pretty bad), which has made a huge difference to how we feel as a family. Will we regret it if we don't go? Who knows; that's a bridge we'll have to cross. In the meantime though, we are doing well here and are happy. The political situation however may well be a bit of a clincher in the near future as it looks increasingly like things are going to rat shit. If you are 100% committed, don't have too many commitments (not sure if you have kids and therefore the whole schooling issue to contend with) and can afford to come back if things don't work out then I would say do it in a heartbeat. If you can improve things here like us and wait things out for a bit then do it - there may well be an element of the old nerves rearing their ugly heads.

I am a bit of a scaredy cat and so admire the folk on here who take such a leap of faith. You may well go and look back on this thinking "why did I even contemplate not going?" Good luck
Hi Damson,

Good to see a post from you. It seems like an age since we met up last year.

Sounds like you're being v sensible. We love it here but our situation's different (no school-aged kids and no immediate need to bring money over)

A big difference in our situations is that my husband is an employee and the GFC meant that a move out of the UK was almost a necessity. His old company and the rest of his industry are slashing jobs back there.

The move to Oz has kept him employed.....for the time being

Give my love to our gorgeous home town.

x
Old May 14th 2010, 7:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Crystaltipps
Hi Damson,

Good to see a post from you. It seems like an age since we met up last year.

Sounds like you're being v sensible. We love it here but our situation's different (no school-aged kids and no immediate need to bring money over)

A big difference in our situations is that my husband is an employee and the GFC meant that a move out of the UK was almost a necessity. His old company and the rest of his industry are slashing jobs back there.

The move to Oz has kept him employed.....for the time being

Give my love to our gorgeous home town.

x
Will do (went in Costa Coffee last weekend - bloody pigeons still in there!).

Jobs going everywhere here. Kraft have announced closing their Cheltenham office with 400 job losses - definately think you made the right decision and glad it's working out for you guys.
Old May 14th 2010, 7:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katsmajic
He paid an agent to do the lot, cost a bomb and then after the grant and in the time he had left to validate he had loads of work trips to usa and russia, and he wanted to see the gf in russia so didnt worry about the visa until suddenly he had 1mth left and then only 1 weekend free...i pestered and pestered to get him validate and he didnt.
bloody fool...hes now paying the same agent to go through the whole process again...more money than sense!
Hes said hes not bringing his son up in uk or russia - she wasnt happy about moving over but after their recent visit shes prepared to try it...and madly he has all the rights to the baby, he can move over with the baby and she has no say in the matter...he wouldnt do it to her but if she did refuse to move here he could bring the baby and she cant stop him.
Well filling in the forms should be easy this time around, just a few additions and date changes, another medical, pcc etc...

Last edited by Alfresco; May 14th 2010 at 7:45 am.
Old May 14th 2010, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

Strewth Bruce is an unknown quantity at this point

I couldn't agree more. We have just validated our visas in the last week and have no plans of making the move permanent until September 2011 at the earliest. The economy in the UK is at a major low and the Oz economy is performing well. For my wife and I to exchange our savings at a rate of $1.65 would make us comparatively poor in Oz and I believe make us frustrated with the cost of living. With House prices in Oz increasing at 20% in the past 12months and Sydney being the least affordable city to live in worldwide unfortunately waiting is a must. We both have good jobs in the UK. On the flip side if you have no savings making the move sooner and earning Dollars would be a good move.
Old May 14th 2010, 10:50 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by suzyambrose
I just wondered if anybody had got the visa and then decided not to move over in the end? This time last year we were all set......now the more I read, the more I'm put off. It all sounds like doom and gloom down under; expensive housing, expensive shopping, crap wages, basically everything people didn't move over for

When we went we loved it, but they were holidays, with saved up cash for spends and it's not the same as living it.
Very wise move

I got the visa,visited Melbourne and wasn't impressed with the place and STILL moved over !!!

What a muppet i was
Old May 14th 2010, 11:08 pm
Forum Regular

mark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to beholdmark wool is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
Very wise move

I got the visa,visited Melbourne and wasn't impressed with the place and STILL moved over !!!

What a muppet i was
Have you thought about tryin anywhere else before you head back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.