Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Air Con - Which is best?

View Poll Results: Air con - which do you have?
Portable unit
0.97%
Wall mounted reverse cycle
23.30%
Ducted system (reverse cycle)
57.28%
Ducted system (non reverse cycle)
2.91%
Evaporative
14.56%
Gas ducted heating
0.97%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Air Con - Which is best?

Old Dec 3rd 2007, 8:29 pm
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Air Con - Which is best?

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au
Must be bloody small houses over in perth lol

Nah sok i will stay put in Brissy and annoy the foreigners
Remember that the "Bird with Cattitude" (No arguments there <g>) did say that her OH did the connecting and wiring. Perhaps the firm just plonked down the units?
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Just because yours was it doesn't mean to say others could or did do it that way and, it isn't nonsense at all thank you very much. Tia had already said she hadn't asked her builder to install as they were going to do it themselves, so that was what I was referring to. Builders here in WA will NOT let you do any installations of your own until hand over. Our builders mark up 7 years ago was 31%, so obviously Tia didn't want to pay the builders to install her aircon because of the costs involved.
We were lucky with our house, the one we went for had evap aircon installed for an extra $100, which is why we went with it. Otherwise it costs a great deal more to get builders to install it. Only one building company I know of who'll let you in to do stuff before handover and that's WA Country Builders.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 11:42 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Remember that the "Bird with Cattitude" (No arguments there <g>) did say that her OH did the connecting and wiring. Perhaps the firm just plonked down the units?
lolol

Well if they can install in 4 hrs, a complete ducted system im flabberghasted.

We are seriously fast installers, and a split system takes us about 1hr 45 including electrical hook up, isolator etc.

So a complete ducted system, in half a day, running drain lines, over spill drain, unit in roof cavity, out door unit siting, piping ductwork.... then theres the connection of all roof duct work...

Its just simply bloody amazing.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 11:45 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bridie
We were lucky with our house, the one we went for had evap aircon installed for an extra $100, which is why we went with it. Otherwise it costs a great deal more to get builders to install it. Only one building company I know of who'll let you in to do stuff before handover and that's WA Country Builders.
We sweet talked Plantation Homes, into letting our Ducted guys in to do rough in. Took one day for roof unit, including all flexi duct.

They then were allowed back after paint, and fitted the zone vents.

Then came back last friday, hooked up all pipework, and did 3 hrs this morning hooking smart zones and room controllers.

Some builders will allow you to do stuff, if you approach them in the right way, or indeed keep in with the supervisor.

Ste
Old Dec 4th 2007, 12:51 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Must be bloody small houses over in perth lol

Nah sok i will stay put in Brissy and annoy the foreigners
Far from small where I live, but there are some smallish homes here, the same as anywhere in Oz. We have 14 ducts in our house and needed it too.

Originally Posted by Wol
Don't know what you are trying to say there Wol.....hmmmmm? My OH doesn't just work on air con although alot of his business is with the aircon trade, especially this time of the year.

lolol

Well if they can install in 4 hrs, a complete ducted system im flabberghasted.

We are seriously fast installers, and a split system takes us about 1hr 45 including electrical hook up, isolator etc.

So a complete ducted system, in half a day, running drain lines, over spill drain, unit in roof cavity, out door unit siting, piping ductwork.... then theres the connection of all roof duct work...

Its just simply bloody amazing.
I'll show this to OH tonight and let you know what he says.

Last edited by St.Georges Girl; Dec 4th 2007 at 12:53 am.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 12:53 am
Banned

Far from small where I live, but there are some smallish homes here, the same as anywhere in Oz. We have 14 ducts in our house and needed it too.

Don't know what you are trying to say there Wol.....hmmmmm? My OH doesn't just work on air con although alot of his business is with the aircon trade.

I'll show this to OH tonight and let you know what he says.
cheers big ears
Old Dec 4th 2007, 12:54 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

cheers big ears
It's a pleasure Noddy.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 12:59 am
Banned

It's a pleasure Noddy.
pmsl.. behave or...
Old Dec 4th 2007, 12:59 am
'In limboland'

Agggh, nooooooooooooooo, you can't shoot Miss Bear.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 9:19 am
is happy to be here :)

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Nonsense: airconditioning is as much as a part of a build as ovens and other buit-ins (in fact, far more so).

It's just part of the "Australian way of doing things". I can't think of any other country where such an integral part of a house build is not installed during construction.

Ours was....
I think what ST Georges Girl was meaning was, builders won't let you have your air co installed by your own choice of air con company, as any jobs an outside company do will void the builder's insurance.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 9:21 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by Tiawamutu
I think what ST Georges Girl was meaning was, builders won't let you have your air co installed by your own choice of air con company, as any jobs an outside company do will void the builder's insurance.
That's exactly it T, that's why I took umbridge over being told it was nonsense. Over it now though.
Old Dec 4th 2007, 9:24 am

Tiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond reputeTiawamutu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tictac
Tia, the fat ex-cricketer referred to here is the former Australian cricket captain Mark Taylor.

Mark is the 'face' of Fujitsu's aircon adverts often seen on TV

He is also a cricket commentator on Channel 9

Here he is: http://www.fujitsugeneral.com.au/

(You might want to turn your speakers down a bit as he does tend to shout somewhat)
Ah, I see
Old Dec 4th 2007, 9:27 am
Banned

Actually it has nothing to do with Builders warranty.

Its BSA insurance, on site.

Each house build is lodged with respective authority in your name, lot number and builder.

The builder in fact, really doesnt lose anything by having other trades in, apart from messing his routine up.

Its more a builders request.

If you ask your builder, and explain, that there are items you would like to do, then you may get an answer you werent pre-emptively expecting.

Also it could have a lot to do, with house and land packages, as we and friends of ours who, got builders to construct on our land, had a tad more of a say.

Still didnt stop me n Debs breaking into the house everyday, and doing stuff.

Theres a whole heap of stuff, you need to do whilst the build is in progress.

Speaker cabling, socket boxes for speakers.
Broadband points, and cabling.
HDMI cabling for media rooms.
Extra noggins for ceiling fan supports.

Get the builder on your side, always turn up with a carton of Gold, and you will get what you want within reason.

Ste
Old Dec 4th 2007, 9:30 am

I've just showed this to my OH, who also does alot of work in the aircon business, (both domestic and industrial) and he said it is quite usual for a team to start at 7 and be finished by midday on a domestic ducted r/c install, so maybe you ought to come over to see how it's done.
I know...that's the thing with these forums. People sometimes get the totally wrong idea about what you are trying to say, or it is their interpretation
Old Dec 4th 2007, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I'm beginning to wish I hadn't asked the question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.