Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Air Con - Which is best?

View Poll Results: Air con - which do you have?
Portable unit
0.97%
Wall mounted reverse cycle
23.30%
Ducted system (reverse cycle)
57.28%
Ducted system (non reverse cycle)
2.91%
Evaporative
14.56%
Gas ducted heating
0.97%
Voters: 103. You may not vote on this poll

Air Con - Which is best?

Old Dec 3rd 2007, 12:18 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Air Con - Which is best?

Originally Posted by DrWho
Some builders are just deliberately awkward unless you're asking them to do it and they're getting a hefty margin on it...
I don't need telling about awkward builders, we were in court on and off for 4 years with ours.

Originally Posted by Wol
Nonsense: airconditioning is as much as a part of a build as ovens and other buit-ins (in fact, far more so).

It's just part of the "Australian way of doing things". I can't think of any other country where such an integral part of a house build is not installed during construction.

Ours was....
Just because yours was it doesn't mean to say others could or did do it that way and, it isn't nonsense at all thank you very much. Tia had already said she hadn't asked her builder to install as they were going to do it themselves, so that was what I was referring to. Builders here in WA will NOT let you do any installations of your own until hand over. Our builders mark up 7 years ago was 31%, so obviously Tia didn't want to pay the builders to install her aircon because of the costs involved.

Originally Posted by Wol
Yes. Putting in ducted A/C should be part of the building design, not an ad hoc addition. Our A/C and heating system was one of the PC items: *we* determined which of the quotes to accept and paid the builder *that* amount. There was no mark-up involved. (Except that the overall house price obviously included his profit margin.)
Well you were very lucky with your builder then.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 12:43 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

>>Reversed cycle is quite easy to install and there is next to no mess at all. Builders won't let you do it yourself before hand over because of the little matter of insurance (things walking out the door) and they won't be held responsible.<<

Was your comment - it certainly appears to mean that you cannot have A/C put in as part of the build. That is just not correct: *some* builders may have that attitude but certainly not all by any means. As I said, aircon is more of a "build installation" than ovens, dishwashers etc - which "walk" far easier than a built-in A/C unit.

>>Just because yours was it doesn't mean to say others could or did do it that way and, it isn't nonsense at all thank you very much. Tia had already said she hadn't asked her builder to install as they were going to do it themselves, so that was what I was referring to. Builders here in WA will NOT let you do any installations of your own until hand over. Our builders mark up 7 years ago was 31%, so obviously Tia didn't want to pay the builders to install her aircon because of the costs involved.<<

>>Well you were very lucky with your builder then.<<

There's luck and luck: some of it you make yourself. We spent months drawing up a Scope of Works, schedule of installation etc. The quotes were based on those. Client unrestricted access to site was a condition, as was a requirement to keep noise down from radios etc (for the neighbours' sakes).

You don't *have* to just bend over for a builder, you know!

Last edited by Wol; Dec 3rd 2007 at 12:44 am. Reason: Greengrocers' apostrophe...
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 1:08 am
BE Enthusiast

harveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of light

Its no big deal really, we had ours put in after house was finished, it was completed within a week of order and took half a day to install, no mess at all.
We had reverse cycle with 5 zones, glad we waited as we changed the position of a couple of the air vents as we positioned our things differently once we had moved in.

Di
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 1:18 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
>>Reversed cycle is quite easy to install and there is next to no mess at all. Builders won't let you do it yourself before hand over because of the little matter of insurance (things walking out the door) and they won't be held responsible.<<I think this was quite clear

Was your comment - it certainly appears to mean that you cannot have A/C put in as part of the build. That is just not correct: *some* builders may have that attitude but certainly not all by any means. As I said, aircon is more of a "build installation" than ovens, dishwashers etc - which "walk" far easier than a built-in A/C unit.

>>Just because yours was it doesn't mean to say others could or did do it that way and, it isn't nonsense at all thank you very much. Tia had already said she hadn't asked her builder to install as they were going to do it themselves, so that was what I was referring to. Builders here in WA will NOT let you do any installations of your own until hand over. Our builders mark up 7 years ago was 31%, so obviously Tia didn't want to pay the builders to install her aircon because of the costs involved.<<

>>Well you were very lucky with your builder then.<<

There's luck and luck: some of it you make yourself. We spent months drawing up a Scope of Works, schedule of installation etc. The quotes were based on those. Client unrestricted access to site was a condition, as was a requirement to keep noise down from radios etc (for the neighbours' sakes).

You don't *have* to just bend over for a builder, you know!
I am not going to argue with you over this, but I do have more of an idea of what I'm talking about than you may think. My OH designed our home and drew up the plans, so we were no novices by any means. We did not and never will 'bend over' for our builder and I am certainly not going into the details. We installed our r/c with 14 ducts and 6 zones after we moved in and it was no hassle whatsoever. Infact, OH and I put the ceiling ducts in ourselves and he wired up. So please don't talk to me as though I am an idiot.

Project builders will rarely let you on site here in WA and most people build with a project builder here.

Originally Posted by harveyhare
Its no big deal really, we had ours put in after house was finished, it was completed within a week of order and took half a day to install, no mess at all.
We had reverse cycle with 5 zones, glad we waited as we changed the position of a couple of the air vents as we positioned our things differently once we had moved in.

Di
I agree, it is no big deal.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 2:10 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm beginning to wish I hadn't asked the question
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 2:24 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

1/2 a day to install a 5 zone aircon , ducted??

Bullshit !!!!!!

If they can do it in 1/2 a day, start to finish... thats incredible, absolutely unbelieveable.

In fact.. no i wont banter on, lol... im just gobsmacked the guys fitted an entire ducted system in 1/2 a day !!!!!!

Get me there number, I wannem working for me !!!
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 2:52 am
'In limboland'

Originally Posted by moneypen20
I'm beginning to wish I hadn't asked the question
Shite stirrer, you just wanted to see the fallout.

Originally Posted by Timber Floor Au

Bullshit !!!!!!

If they can do it in 1/2 a day, start to finish... thats incredible, absolutely unbelieveable.

In fact.. no i wont banter on, lol... im just gobsmacked the guys fitted an entire ducted system in 1/2 a day !!!!!!

Well I have to say that the fridgies we had weren't far off that. The unit was installed one night, then the next morning the duct work was finished, which left OH and I the job of deciding where we wanted the vents, cutting them out and fitting the jackets etc., OH wired it all up and hey presto.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 3:09 am
Timelord

DrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond reputeDrWho has a reputation beyond repute

...Get me there number, I wannem working for me !!!
Get in line...! I want them for me...!
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

harveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of light

Bullshit !!!!!!

Yep half a day, started at 7am out of house at 12.30, 3 electricians, 4 guys in roof space, 2 inside cutting ceiling vents, and they vacumed when they had finished.
Took the boss an hour to show me how to use it though
Ambience air, Joondalup.

Di
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 5:26 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=St.Georges Girl;5626207] We did not and never will 'bend over' for our builder

Bloody hell, lets keep this clean.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 5:30 am
'In limboland'

[QUOTE=manc1;5626621]
Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
We did not and never will 'bend over' for our builder

Bloody hell, lets keep this clean.
I wondered just how long it would take for someone to pick that up...., just over 4 hours, so your slacking.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Evelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of lightEvelin is a glorious beacon of light

Bullshit !!!!!!

our ducted reverse cycle, 5 zones was done in a day.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 9:31 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Evelin
our ducted reverse cycle, 5 zones was done in a day.
a day yes, half a day is just shit !

I work in aircon, and you cannot install a full system start to finish in 1/2 a day, which to me is 4-5 hrs !

Doesnt happen
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 10:32 am
'In limboland'

a day yes, half a day is just shit !

I work in aircon, and you cannot install a full system start to finish in 1/2 a day, which to me is 4-5 hrs !

Doesnt happen
I've just showed this to my OH, who also does alot of work in the aircon business, (both domestic and industrial) and he said it is quite usual for a team to start at 7 and be finished by midday on a domestic ducted r/c install, so maybe you ought to come over to see how it's done.
Old Dec 3rd 2007, 11:33 am
Banned

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
I've just showed this to my OH, who also does alot of work in the aircon business, (both domestic and industrial) and he said it is quite usual for a team to start at 7 and be finished by midday on a domestic ducted r/c install, so maybe you ought to come over to see how it's done.
Must be bloody small houses over in perth lol

Nah sok i will stay put in Brissy and annoy the foreigners

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.