Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice anyone?? Scaffolder and family wanting to move.

Advice anyone?? Scaffolder and family wanting to move.

Old Apr 8th 2013, 12:30 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Advice anyone?? Scaffolder and family wanting to move.

Originally Posted by Elena86
Thats fine check up on my posts for whatever reasons but why paste and copy them onto this thread not to offer me help or advice but in a unconstructive negative way??

All i need to worry about is getting the visa, with hairdressing i know i have a good shot and my husbands pretty much got a good job guranteed if we move there so thats the plan.

I have lots of reasons to move i know the pros AND cons of moving to Oz ive done my research, weather is just ONE. I really cannot be bothered going through them all to justify my reasons to wanting to move. Im use to the rain dont worry i'll be fine with that. I would rather find out that Oz is not for me by myself rather than trusting someone on here. I know what to expect, im not expecting a permanant holiday or anything! We have nothing to lose by going, our jobs are there if we want to come back so is our house. I was just asking about the visas and scaffolding not if im doing the right thing! Thats my mistake to make if it is one.

I moved to Spain to escape the UK turned out to be one of the best things i ever did!! So i'll go with my own experience of moving.

But thanks i appreciate people warning me of all the cons but i already have done plenty of research i know about the bad weather Oz can have, the high expenses of certain things etc etc.

No one can put me off i just dont need rude people like Dorothy offering little advice and just posting irrelvant unhelpful comments. You never know i might end up liking it, and if not at least i can say ive give it go.
I believe at the moment hairdressing is only on the State Sponsorship list for WA, so that gives you a starting point. Things can change though so keep your eyes and ears peeled.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 12:33 pm
Forum Regular

Elena86 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just because im considering or looking into more than one option/country doesnt mean i wouldnt settle or i wouldnt have a chance of making a good life there. It doesnt mean im not as passionate because theres a few i would like to make a life in. My mum moved to Dubai i could have moved and lived there and although its beautiful and theres work and it has sun i knew it wasnt for me. Im not just looking to escape anywhere.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I believe at the moment hairdressing is only on the State Sponsorship list for WA, so that gives you a starting point. Things can change though so keep your eyes and ears peeled.
Thanks Pollyana i wont be getting things going until im qualified so hopefully they will still be needed in a years time. I'll keep a check on that. That kind of works out because my husbands job offer would be in Perth.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 12:16 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

America/Canada was my first choice because the US was where i was born i would be close to my family. .
If the US was your first choice then it would be the easiest to emigrate to by what you've said. If you were born in the US then you are very likely an American citizen and would not require a visa to live there - neither would your children, as they would be citizens by descent. It's fairly easy and inexpensive to apply for a spouse visa for your husband - currently I believe they are taking approximately 9 months, so just about the time frame you're looking at to finish your hairdressing course.

America is a very big country and to say that scaffolding work wouldn't be possible there is incorrect. There are loads of areas where scaffolders would be able to work. You would just need to look at where the jobs actually are. Here's a link to a scaffolding website http://scaffmag.com/scaffolding-jobs...ding-jobs-usa/

I'm sorry if you find my posts upsetting or rude. That was not my intention. However, I do think you need to look at the hard realities of moving countries. While you may have done it before, as your kids get older it gets more difficult to move them around schooling systems and changing friends, etc. Also bear in mind that Australia may be great for holidays, but it is like any other first world country with its own share of social problems.

And as for getting out into the Australian sunshine, people who actually live here tend to stay out of the sun. Melanoma and a slow painful death from it are not on my bucket list.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
If the US was your first choice then it would be the easiest to emigrate to by what you've said. If you were born in the US then you are very likely an American citizen and would not require a visa to live there - neither would your children, as they would be citizens by descent. It's fairly easy and inexpensive to apply for a spouse visa for your husband - currently I believe they are taking approximately 9 months, so just about the time frame you're looking at to finish your hairdressing course.

America is a very big country and to say that scaffolding work wouldn't be possible there is incorrect. There are loads of areas where scaffolders would be able to work. You would just need to look at where the jobs actually are. Here's a link to a scaffolding website http://scaffmag.com/scaffolding-jobs...ding-jobs-usa/

I'm sorry if you find my posts upsetting or rude. That was not my intention. However, I do think you need to look at the hard realities of moving countries. While you may have done it before, as your kids get older it gets more difficult to move them around schooling systems and changing friends, etc. Also bear in mind that Australia may be great for holidays, but it is like any other first world country with its own share of social problems.

And as for getting out into the Australian sunshine, people who actually live here tend to stay out of the sun. Melanoma and a slow painful death from it are not on my bucket list.

Yes i am an American citizen and a British citizen, my husband is British and my son was born in England so unfortunatley he would need a visa too. We already had the visa applications approved for the US. Getting a US visa is easy for us but getting a job scaffolding would not be. Its completely different to British/Austrailian scaffolding and construction in the US is doing terrible we would struggle for work. However i know my husband would easily find a job in Austrailia and construction isnt doing too bad the hardest part is getting the visa!

Thanks for the link my husband has talked to lots of scaffolders on the Scaffmag they all say the same thing its not doing well out there and its a completely different system to the English so my husband would have to be retrained.

Thankyou i appreciate it but i have looked into the realities of moving with a child its not simple i know that, it doesnt mean it cant be done. My son is 2 years old a perfect age if i did have to move hes not settled anywhere. I realise that every country has its social problems. I know if i leave here they'll be a whole set of different social problems to deal with.

I am aware in certain months it will be too hot but im sure they'll be a few months out of the year i will be able to venture out. Dont worry i'll bring plenty of high factor sunscreen. As for skin cancer there are more people diagnosed with it in the UK then Oz so maybe we'll be safer in Oz. 1 point to Oz for that one.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...Australia.html
But again thanks for the warning i think avoiding skin cancer is more about how safe you are in the sun then how hot a country is.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 9:48 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes i am an American citizen and a British citizen, my husband is British and my son was born in England so unfortunatley he would need a visa too.
If you are an American born citizen, your child(ren) are American by descent. He does not need a visa to live in the US.

I know this because my son was born to me (in Canada) and my ex (American) and he (my son) is a dual citizen from birth. All we needed to prove it was the birth certificate naming his father and me. He has lived in the US for 20+ years now and his children are also dual citizens. Born in the US, so American but Canadian by descent because their father (my son) was born in Canada.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
If you are an American born citizen, your child(ren) are American by descent. He does not need a visa to live in the US.

I know this because my son was born to me (in Canada) and my ex (American) and he (my son) is a dual citizen from birth. All we needed to prove it was the birth certificate naming his father and me. He has lived in the US for 20+ years now and his children are also dual citizens. Born in the US, so American but Canadian by descent because their father (my son) was born in Canada.

Well weve already had it processed and approved!! Surely that wouldnt have been possible if he was already a citizen. They have his birth certificate.
I have dual citizenship. Im living in England, my sons dad is English, he was born in England and i am English he needs a visa he has no social sercurity number, if he had been born in America he would have had US citizenship but he wasnt so hes a British citizen.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 11:08 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

I am aware in certain months it will be too hot but im sure they'll be a few months out of the year i will be able to venture out. Dont worry i'll bring plenty of high factor sunscreen. As for skin cancer there are more people diagnosed with it in the UK then Oz so maybe we'll be safer in Oz. 1 point to Oz for that one.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...Australia.html
But again thanks for the warning i think avoiding skin cancer is more about how safe you are in the sun then how hot a country is.
Try reading your own link properly
Old Apr 10th 2013, 11:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Grayling
Try reading your own link properly
What have i misssed????????

You know what ive noticed about this site? More people come to argue with you then actually offer advice. There are some really nice genuine people on here but the majority obviously have no lives.

Now i just have to wait for someone to come along and correct all my grammer.

Last edited by Elena86; Apr 10th 2013 at 11:36 am.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 11:29 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

What have i misssed????????
Australian diagnosis rates for skin cancer are three times that of the UK

Try reading the link you posted
Old Apr 10th 2013, 11:41 am
Bitter and twisted

You know what ive noticed about this site? More people come to argue with you then actually offer advice. There are some really nice genuine people on here but the majority obviously have no lives.
you have done a pretty good job at arguing with other people yourself....you have come across as hostile in several of your posts

You are quite free to look for information elsewhere if this site is not to your liking

Last edited by Grayling; Apr 10th 2013 at 11:45 am.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=Grayling;10651147]you have done a pretty good job at arguing with other people yourself....you have come across as hostile from the start

You are quite free to look for information elsewhere if this site is not to your

So what exactly did i miss in my link??

By people do you mean Dorothy and you? If some people are on here to be rude and argue then fair enough i'll argue back but i dont get hostile with people who arent trying to be hostile with me. Why come on here not to answer peoples posts but just to find ways to pull people up. Why say anything if your not answering their question?????

Do you know ive had three private messages on here warning me of people on here, people not on here to offer help and advice but just to be rude. So its not just me.

I feel sorry for people that do that in their spare time, obviously nothing better going on.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

Australian diagnosis rates for skin cancer are three times that of the UK

Try reading the link you posted
Heres a quote from the link called' UK SKIN CANCER RATES WORST THAN AUSTRAILIA'

The new figures show that in the past five years there have been 8,100 British deaths from malignant melanoma, compared to 4,900 in Australia.

In a typical year, 7,850 cases of malignant melanoma are diagnosed in Australia compared to 5,990 in the UK, BUT the number of DEATHS in Australia is just 1,000 compared to 1,600 in Britain.

Like i said to Dorothy its more about how safe you are in the sun then how hot the country is. Thats the point of the article.
Old Apr 10th 2013, 11:59 am
Bitter and twisted

[QUOTE=Elena86;10651170]
you have done a pretty good job at arguing with other people yourself....you have come across as hostile from the start

You are quite free to look for information elsewhere if this site is not to your

So what exactly did i miss in my link??

I feel sorry for people that do that in their spare time, obviously nothing better going on.
The link you posted shows that the diagnosis of skin cancer is higher in Australia than in the UK and that is for a third of the population size...can't you read?

As for nothing better to do....I live in Queensland....one of the most boring places on the planet
Old Apr 10th 2013, 12:00 pm
Bitter and twisted

Heres a quote from the link called' UK SKIN CANCER RATES WORST THAN AUSTRAILIA'

The new figures show that in the past five years there have been 8,100 British deaths from malignant melanoma, compared to 4,900 in Australia.

In a typical year, 7,850 cases of malignant melanoma are diagnosed in Australia compared to 5,990 in the UK, BUT the number of DEATHS in Australia is just 1,000 compared to 1,600 in Britain.

Like i said to Dorothy its more about how safe you are in the sun then how hot the country is. Thats the point of the article.
You talked about DIAGNOSIS..fact is rates are far higher in Australia

Now try googling some more reliable sites than the Daily Mail

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.