Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Advice anyone?? Scaffolder and family wanting to move.

Advice anyone?? Scaffolder and family wanting to move.

Old Apr 4th 2013, 8:57 am
Forum Regular

Elena86 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Advice anyone?? Scaffolder and family wanting to move.

Hello everyone thanks for taking the time to read my thread.

Me and my husband have been thinking about moving to Austrailia for a while now it would be an absolute dream to get the chance.

My husband is a fully qualified scaffolder with over 15 years experience. We are willing to move where the work is would just like to know how to go about doing it? Do we apply for the visa and then try and find work or apply for jobs out there first and then apply for the visa?

Does anyone know how well scaffoldings doing out there? Are they in demand?

Any advice would be appreciated,

Thanks,
Old Apr 4th 2013, 9:03 am
Just Joined

MrsMaz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Advice anyone?? Scaffolder and family wanting to move.

how exciting. we are in the same boat and ive just joined this site this morning!

we want to look into it all and hopfully moving within 2 years. my husband is an engineer and the company he works for have factories in Oz, we are hoping he can get transfered! EEEK

good luck
Old Apr 4th 2013, 9:08 am
Forum Regular

Hey, thats great i bet you'll have no problem getting work out there, heard engineers are in demand over there too.

Thanks and good luck to you too!
Old Apr 4th 2013, 9:14 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elena86
My husband is a fully qualified scaffolder with over 15 years experience. We are willing to move where the work is would just like to know how to go about doing it? Do we apply for the visa and then try and find work or apply for jobs out there first and then apply for the visa?

Thanks,
The typical migration path is to have a skill on the CSOL (Consolidated Sponsored Occupation List), to see if he is eligible for skilled migration.

Unfortunately, although scaffolders never seem to be short of work, it is not on the list for skilled immigration.
Old Apr 4th 2013, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Yeah i had a look at that, couldnt see scaffolding on there, but over the years my husband has known quite a few ppl that have left the UK and gone to oz scaffolding so there must be work out there? Hopefully!
Old Apr 4th 2013, 9:53 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, there is plenty of work around, but if you are hoping for him to be the main applicant for a sponsored visa it won't happen since it is not on the skilled occupation list.

Maybe your husband's acquaintances came in a time where it was possible to be sponsored, maybe their partners were the main applicant, maybe they met an Australian and came as their partner? Sorry to be blunt, but I wouldn't want you to get your hopes up.
Old Apr 5th 2013, 10:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msmyrtle
Yes, there is plenty of work around, but if you are hoping for him to be the main applicant for a sponsored visa it won't happen since it is not on the skilled occupation list.

Maybe your husband's acquaintances came in a time where it was possible to be sponsored, maybe their partners were the main applicant, maybe they met an Australian and came as their partner? Sorry to be blunt, but I wouldn't want you to get your hopes up.
Yes would just echo the above. You have absolutely zero chance of emigrating on your husband's occupation at this point in time. It doesn't matter how many jobs are out there and it doesn't even matter if he was offered one of those jobs, he is not going to get a visa as scaffolder is not on the list.

What is your occupation?
Old Apr 5th 2013, 11:43 pm
Banned

Zen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond reputeZen10 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks,
Elena, go to this website and start at the beginning.

http://www.immi.gov.au/
Old Apr 6th 2013, 12:34 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone thanks for taking the time to read my thread.

Me and my husband have been thinking about moving to Austrailia for a while now it would be an absolute dream to get the chance.

Thanks,
Didn't you say he was an electrician? http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=792887

Oh, wait! No, you asked the same thing about scaffolding in Australia in October http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=774383
And in the US http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=774359
And in Canada http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=774382
And in New Zealand http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=792878

Unfortunately, the requirements for a visa haven't changed since you last asked. As BS says, it doesn't matter how many jobs you find on Seek or whether he's offered one. What matters is that he doesn't qualify for a visa based on being a scaffolder.

I'm sorry that this may sound harsh, but I really think you need to decide where you want to go and work toward something that may qualify you in the future. From your posts it looks like you're more interested in "escaping" the UK than actually settling somewhere you want to live. A successful emigration is based more on the pull from somewhere you want to be than a push from somewhere you don't.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Didn't you say he was an electrician? http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=792887

Oh, wait! No, you asked the same thing about scaffolding in Australia in October http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=774383

Unfortunately, the requirements for a visa haven't changed since you last asked. As BS says, it doesn't matter how many jobs you find on Seek or whether he's offered one. What matters is that he doesn't qualify for a visa based on being a scaffolder.

I'm sorry that this may sound harsh, but I really think you need to decide where you want to go and work toward something that may qualify you in the future. From your posts it looks like you're more interested in "escaping" the UK than actually settling somewhere you want to live. A successful emigration is based more on the pull from somewhere you want to be than a push from somewhere you don't.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

No Dorothy i did not say he was an electrician and yes maybe i do want to escape the UK , its not for me and i know that because i have lived abroad before. ive lived in the US before and i visit every year to see my family. Ive lived in Spain and Germany too. I loved living abroad i only moved back to the UK because i had no choice and ive wanted to move away ever since.

I want to be somewhere where me and my son arent stuck in for 10 months out of the year because its raining, somewhere where you see a bit of sun now and again and not just grey clouds. For me the UK is gloomy its depressing. Im sure not everyone would agree but i know i would love living somewhere like Oz or America. I know the UK is not for me from experience not because moving is just something i fancy doing.

America/Canada was my first choice because the US was where i was born i would be close to my family. Then when we realised scaffolding wouldnt be possible out there we considered Oz. Everyone we know that has moved has said its the best thing they have ever done, my husbands boss has even said he has work out there for him if he could get a visa. So forgive me for wanting to try something new or trying to make things better for my family. Plus we have nothing to lose our house and jobs will still be here if we choose to move back to the UK.

Im just asking advice about how i should go about getting my visa its not really any of your business why i want to or what reasons im doing it for! Its up to me to decide where i want to live.

Anyway when im a qualified hairdresser in a year it will be possible for us to get a visa i found that out by helpful folks who offer advice and dont just come on here to post irrelevant negative comments.

But thanks for taking the time looking up ALL my past posts!!! I think maybe you need to get out more and enjoy the Ozzy sun.

Last edited by Elena86; Apr 8th 2013 at 8:17 am.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 8:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice everyone.

No Dorothy i did not say he was an electrician and yes maybe i do want to escape the UK , its not for me and i know that because i have lived abroad before. ive lived in the US before and i visit every year to see my family. Ive lived in Spain and Germany too. I loved living abroad i only moved back to the UK because i had no choice and ive wanted to move away ever since.

I want to be somewhere where me and my son arent stuck in for 10 months out of the year because its raining, somewhere where you see a bit of sun now and again and not just grey clouds. For me the UK is gloomy its depressing. Im sure not everyone would agree but i know i would love living somewhere like Oz or America. I know the UK is not for me from experience not because moving is just something i fancy doing.

America/Canada was my first choice because the US was where i was born i would be close to my family. Then when we realised scaffolding wouldnt be possible out there we considered Oz. Everyone we know that has moved has said its the best thing they have ever done, my husbands boss has even said he has work out there for him if he could get a visa. So forgive me for wanting to try something new or trying to make things better for my family. Plus we have nothing to lose our house and jobs will still be here if we choose to move back to the UK.

Im just asking advice about how i should go about getting my visa its not really any of your business why i want to or what reasons im doing it for! Its up to me to decide where i want to live.

Anyway when im a qualified hairdresser in a year it will be possible for us to get a visa i found that out by helpful folks who offer advice and dont just come on here to post irrelevant negative comments.

But thanks for taking the time looking up ALL my past posts!!! I think maybe you need to get out more and enjoy the Ozzy sun.
Some of us do check out past posts because we may be able to say a route to a visa which isn't instantly evident from one post in one thread For instance in your case I would have to warn you to be careful relying on hairdressing. Its not avaioable for all skills visas or for all States these days.

As regards the weather too, many people cite the weather as a reason for moving but I'd advise all of them to read threads on here on the subject. It may be dry enough to play outside - but often its too hot. Many areas of Australia are prone to heavy and prolonged rainfall too.

Over the years weve watched lots of posters turn up with no real idea of where they want to go - they just want to ëscape"the UK - generally those who settle best are the ones who come because they want tolive in Aus, not those who just want to escape to somewhere

No-one is trying to put you off, just to make you and other new posters aware of the pitfalls.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 9:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Some of us do check out past posts because we may be able to say a route to a visa which isn't instantly evident from one post in one thread For instance in your case I would have to warn you to be careful relying on hairdressing. Its not avaioable for all skills visas or for all States these days.

As regards the weather too, many people cite the weather as a reason for moving but I'd advise all of them to read threads on here on the subject. It may be dry enough to play outside - but often its too hot. Many areas of Australia are prone to heavy and prolonged rainfall too.

Over the years weve watched lots of posters turn up with no real idea of where they want to go - they just want to ëscape"the UK - generally those who settle best are the ones who come because they want tolive in Aus, not those who just want to escape to somewhere

No-one is trying to put you off, just to make you and other new posters aware of the pitfalls.

Thats fine check up on my posts for whatever reasons but why paste and copy them onto this thread not to offer me help or advice but in a unconstructive negative way??

All i need to worry about is getting the visa, with hairdressing i know i have a good shot and my husbands pretty much got a good job guranteed if we move there so thats the plan.

I have lots of reasons to move i know the pros AND cons of moving to Oz ive done my research, weather is just ONE. I really cannot be bothered going through them all to justify my reasons to wanting to move. Im use to the rain dont worry i'll be fine with that. I would rather find out that Oz is not for me by myself rather than trusting someone on here. I know what to expect, im not expecting a permanant holiday or anything! We have nothing to lose by going, our jobs are there if we want to come back so is our house. I was just asking about the visas and scaffolding not if im doing the right thing! Thats my mistake to make if it is one.

I moved to Spain to escape the UK turned out to be one of the best things i ever did!! So i'll go with my own experience of moving.

But thanks i appreciate people warning me of all the cons but i already have done plenty of research i know about the bad weather Oz can have, the high expenses of certain things etc etc.

No one can put me off i just dont need rude people like Dorothy offering little advice and just posting irrelvant unhelpful comments. You never know i might end up liking it, and if not at least i can say ive give it go.

Last edited by Elena86; Apr 8th 2013 at 9:39 am.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 9:42 am
Forum Regular

blondiefee is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya - hope things all work out for you.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 9:44 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by blondiefee
Hiya - hope things all work out for you.
Thanks Blondiefee, appreciate it
Old Apr 8th 2013, 11:54 am
Forum Regular

Hotton has a spectacular aura aboutHotton has a spectacular aura aboutHotton has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: Advice anyone?? Scaffolder and family wanting to move.

[QUOTE=Dorothy;10642822]Didn't you say he was an electrician? http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=792887

I'm sorry that this may sound harsh, but I really think you need to decide where you want to go and work toward something that may qualify you in the future. From your posts it looks like you're more interested in "escaping" the UK than actually settling somewhere you want to live. A successful emigration is based more on the pull from somewhere you want to be than a push from somewhere you don't.[/QUOTE

DOROTHY YOU ARE hot to trot do you have a life outside of expats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.