Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

5 months out of work and going insane!!

5 months out of work and going insane!!

Old Jun 20th 2012, 9:48 am
Banned

carling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 5 months out of work and going insane!!

Originally Posted by DeadVim
It seems to have been eluding me, maybe I am looking in the wrong places. If I had any .NET I'd probably make more headway.

I come from a C/C++ background dating back 20 years with some Java/Perl/PHP/MS SQL, mySQL database work ... You'd think it would be a good mix. Maybe I am just a psycho nobody wants to touch

But hey, I have a second interview with someone on Friday so
Yep good luck old boy, was talking to him this weekend, a Physics grad, decent UK uni, late forties, works on contract, at a guess circa $90k per annum. Clever chap very bright, i am no thicko, but lost me at times regarding IT systems, put it this way, i am alot more clued up on security regarding the net after our chat. Good luck for Friday
Old Jun 20th 2012, 10:01 am
Forum Regular

LisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to allLisaIan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If you're driving a cab in Brisbane then able to drive, or talk, are both pretty optional in my experience - as is the ability to distinguish between left and right, or understand basic English
Couldn't agree more, also make sure you can do 'creepy' really well, in my experience this is best achieved by asking your young, lone female passengers if anyone else is at home whilst you're dropping them off

In response to the OP's question, I've just moved back to Brisbane (with my oh) after 2 years in Sydney and have just been offered a job today....FINALLY! I've been applying seriously since April but in total have been out of work since the end of Feb. I'd recently taken to climbing the walls. All I can say is keep at it. I've had similar experiences every time we've moved...approx 3-4 months looking for work with very few responses. I know how hard it can be but try to stay positive! I'll keep my for you.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by LisaIan
Couldn't agree more, also make sure you can do 'creepy' really well, in my experience this is best achieved by asking your young, lone female passengers if anyone else is at home whilst you're dropping them off

In response to the OP's question, I've just moved back to Brisbane (with my oh) after 2 years in Sydney and have just been offered a job today....FINALLY! I've been applying seriously since April but in total have been out of work since the end of Feb. I'd recently taken to climbing the walls. All I can say is keep at it. I've had similar experiences every time we've moved...approx 3-4 months looking for work with very few responses. I know how hard it can be but try to stay positive! I'll keep my for you.
Congratulations!! All the best for the new job and well done!
Old Jun 20th 2012, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Shenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant futureShenni has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by LisaIan

My son is a cab driver in Brisbane and he often gets remarks about his colour and the fact that he has no accent and the fact that he was born and raised in Brisbane........ yes he is a natural aussie.
His advice to anyone asked about others being home is to take the drivers number and report it, he does say it has got better since they stopped the students over staying. His phone is always ringing asking him to pick specific people up who have used his cab before !!!!
Old Jun 20th 2012, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Aussie06 is an unknown quantity at this point

admin jobs on the coast are extremely hard to come by. 300 plus applicants to 1 job. Thats why so many commute. It really is who you know...
Old Jun 20th 2012, 10:46 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

OP have you registered to do temp work? I started out here in Perth doing temp assignments (short term) which turned into long term assignments for WA Health and in turn a full time permanent job at one of the hospitals.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 11:10 pm
Forum Regular

Penny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud ofPenny45 has much to be proud of

I've been looking for something full time since Feb and finally offered something this week. It's admin though so a slide down the ladder career wise for me. I've still been doing the odd day for law firm in Indonesia all that time. It's also a temporary contract for 4 months so hourly rate with no benefits. Couldn't get into manufacturing/product supply here for love nor money. Agree with the 'who you know' comment - someone I used to work with knew the guy who interviewed me (discovered on LinkedIn).
Good luck to all searching.
Old Jun 21st 2012, 5:19 am
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dorothy
OP have you registered to do temp work? I started out here in Perth doing temp assignments (short term) which turned into long term assignments for WA Health and in turn a full time permanent job at one of the hospitals.
No not done that but that's a good idea. Will look into it.
Thanks
Old Jul 4th 2012, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

ANH100 is an unknown quantity at this point

I moved to Brisbane in 2006 and couldn't get work for 3 months. I did some art classes and mini projects but found it really hard to integrate without job. I got some temp work which was good - joined Select recruitment agency. Eventually after 2 years i walked into my dream job. It changed my experience of living in Brisbane. It really helped me settle in.

I couldn't believe how hard it was to do volunteer work!! Shame really as I was happy to help out wherever needed ....
Old Aug 4th 2012, 10:26 am
BE Enthusiast

How things change in a month.

I have finally managed to get a full time, permanent admin job. It has really boosted myself and consequently my family.
Its great to have something to focus on besides the homesickness lol!

Thanks for all your helpful words and advice.

Jo

Old Aug 4th 2012, 12:19 pm
Chocoholic

Juliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond reputeJuliecabs has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on getting your job. Must be a great feeling
Old Aug 4th 2012, 1:35 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joeyb

I have finally managed to get a full time, permanent admin job. It has really boosted myself and consequently my family.

Jo

Many congrats!
Old Aug 5th 2012, 1:20 am
BE Forum Addict

irishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond reputeirishbloo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joeyb

Jo

Well done you..
Old Aug 5th 2012, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

MadMuvva is just really niceMadMuvva is just really niceMadMuvva is just really niceMadMuvva is just really niceMadMuvva is just really niceMadMuvva is just really niceMadMuvva is just really niceMadMuvva is just really niceMadMuvva is just really nice

yay! well done!