Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

5 months out of work and going insane!!

5 months out of work and going insane!!

Old Jun 20th 2012, 3:57 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 5 months out of work and going insane!!

I'm up to 10 minths, it doesn't get any easier.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Good idea.

One of the sons works for one of the mega corporations that own about half of australian stores None of them in any State except the Northern Territory are recruiting now (april ...... was august that has now been put on ? ) All casuals on minimal hours - none! or on call, no roster, just on the very off chance someone drops dead or something and they cant get the other staff to do their job

Partly the time of year, tax time, winter, partly recession and panic. Preserve profits, dont waste it on silly things like staff.

So give it a couple of months before you panic, its probably not you more the aussie economy. Once the govt has poured another round of baby child elderly carbon bonus into the system things will probably pick up again for a few months.
Thanks for that. I will give it as long as it takes basically and try to not take it too personally. lol
Old Jun 20th 2012, 5:16 am
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
I'm up to 10 minths, it doesn't get any easier.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you that something comes up soon. x
Old Jun 20th 2012, 5:39 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Good idea.

One of the sons works for one of the mega corporations that own about half of australian stores None of them in any State except the Northern Territory are recruiting now (april ...... was august that has now been put on ? ) All casuals on minimal hours - none! or on call, no roster, just on the very off chance someone drops dead or something and they cant get the other staff to do their job

Partly the time of year, tax time, winter, partly recession and panic. Preserve profits, dont waste it on silly things like staff.

So give it a couple of months before you panic, its probably not you more the aussie economy. Once the govt has poured another round of baby child elderly carbon bonus into the system things will probably pick up again for a few months.
Don't worry, you will have none of these problems when you move to 'merica - a country noted for its very strict labour laws, high minimum wages and booming economy.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 6:09 am
Banned

carling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Pollyana
If you're driving a cab in Brisbane then able to drive, or talk, are both pretty optional in my experience - as is the ability to distinguish between left and right, or understand basic English
I have heard some cabbies struggle............. but if the Ozzy's don't want the job, someone has to step up to the plate, hey? I have heard alot of local Australians really giving it to the Indian/Asian taxi drivers, but at the end of the day. They put in the hours, its the licensing authorities who are to blame for the standard of a service which the public feel is not quite good enough?

They issue the license
Old Jun 20th 2012, 6:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Don't worry, you will have none of these problems when you move to 'merica - a country noted for its very strict labour laws, high minimum wages and booming economy.
You are like a broken record as me nan used to say.

I think I also detect a lilttle teensy bit of the green eyed monster.

Get over it man, get a grip, not our fault your lot in life is Perth.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 6:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joeyb
Thanks for that. I will give it as long as it takes basically and try to not take it too personally. lol
What work are you looking for.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 6:14 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by joeyb
Title speaks for itself really.
How long did it take you to get your first job when you moved to Australia? If it was quite long, how did you stop yourself from going bonkers?!

JO
It took me 3 months but the market was much better for IT back then.

I've been out of work for 21 months now and I have dealt with it by being bonkers beforehand.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 6:19 am
Banned

carling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by DeadVim
It took me 3 months but the market was much better for IT back then.

I've been out of work for 21 months now and I have dealt with it by being bonkers beforehand.
You still out, jeez, my mate next door, contracting in CBD, C programmer, and a newer higher level program, he told me but i have forgotten, writes code or something, i know nothing about IT, his contract is ending soon, but says there is work about...
Old Jun 20th 2012, 6:22 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Get over it man, get a grip, not our fault your lot in life is Perth.
Plenty of work and high wages here - easy, peasy, japanesy.

Life is sweet.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 6:48 am
BE Enthusiast

What work are you looking for.
I have 20 years in admin so something along those lines.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

[QUOTE=jad n rich;10128520]Good idea.

Too true. Companies are working out their budgets - should pick up post July. Remember, you're in QLD now and it's all about who you know not what you know. I have been here 5 years now, had a number of roles and all of them (and my husband's job) came from networking and private referrals. I've got some pretty marketable (or so I thought) IT skills and have never got a job via an agency. Volunteer, join groups dependant on your area of work. And try not to despair, I was out of work for a similar period of time and was trying my hardest. You'll get something!!
Old Jun 20th 2012, 7:31 am
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carling black label
You still out, jeez, my mate next door, contracting in CBD, C programmer, and a newer higher level program, he told me but i have forgotten, writes code or something, i know nothing about IT, his contract is ending soon, but says there is work about...
It seems to have been eluding me, maybe I am looking in the wrong places. If I had any .NET I'd probably make more headway.

I come from a C/C++ background dating back 20 years with some Java/Perl/PHP/MS SQL, mySQL database work ... You'd think it would be a good mix. Maybe I am just a psycho nobody wants to touch

But hey, I have a second interview with someone on Friday so
Old Jun 20th 2012, 8:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DeadVim
It seems to have been eluding me, maybe I am looking in the wrong places. If I had any .NET I'd probably make more headway.

I come from a C/C++ background dating back 20 years with some Java/Perl/PHP/MS SQL, mySQL database work ... You'd think it would be a good mix. Maybe I am just a psycho nobody wants to touch

But hey, I have a second interview with someone on Friday so
Old Jun 20th 2012, 8:13 am
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=Chortlepuss;10128703]
Good idea.

Too true. Companies are working out their budgets - should pick up post July. Remember, you're in QLD now and it's all about who you know not what you know. I have been here 5 years now, had a number of roles and all of them (and my husband's job) came from networking and private referrals. I've got some pretty marketable (or so I thought) IT skills and have never got a job via an agency. Volunteer, join groups dependant on your area of work. And try not to despair, I was out of work for a similar period of time and was trying my hardest. You'll get something!!
Thanks for that. Roll on end of July!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.