British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   5 months out of work and going insane!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/5-months-out-work-going-insane-762243/)

joeyb Jun 19th 2012 9:57 pm

5 months out of work and going insane!!

Title speaks for itself really.
How long did it take you to get your first job when you moved to Australia? If it was quite long, how did you stop yourself from going bonkers?!

JO
:eek:

carling black label Jun 19th 2012 10:49 pm

Re: 5 months out of work and going insane!!

Originally Posted by joeyb (Post 10128125)
Title speaks for itself really.
How long did it take you to get your first job when you moved to Australia? If it was quite long, how did you stop yourself from going bonkers?!

JO
:eek:

Get yourself down to Brisbane, around CBD, do your taxi training, circa $600 bucks all in.....you will be earning as much as you want to put in the effort...If you can drive, can talk, and do not mind un-sociable hours,it will pay the bills. Better than stuck in a factory or office all day, well thats my view.;)

Snap Shot Jun 19th 2012 10:58 pm

I have PM'd you.

joeyb Jun 19th 2012 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by carling black label (Post 10128201)
Get yourself down to Brisbane, around CBD, do your taxi training, circa $600 bucks all in.....you will be earning as much as you want to put in the effort...If you can drive, can talk, and do not mind un-sociable hours,it will pay the bills. Better than stuck in a factory or office all day, well thats my view.;)

Would do that but my Husband is working away at the moment so I have to stay local as I have two children (13 and 11 years). I am just having my resume rewritten (for the third time) so hopefully that might work and I might even get a reply from an employer! lol.

joeyb Jun 19th 2012 11:09 pm

Originally Posted by Ray and Debbie (Post 10128215)
I have PM'd you.

I have Pm'd you back

Snap Shot Jun 19th 2012 11:10 pm

And very good it was too. So good in fact, I think I'll PM you another day with the continuing story.

joeyb Jun 19th 2012 11:17 pm

Originally Posted by Ray and Debbie (Post 10128234)
And very good it was too. So good in fact, I think I'll PM you another day with the continuing story.

Nice One x

carling black label Jun 19th 2012 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by joeyb (Post 10128231)
Would do that but my Husband is working away at the moment so I have to stay local as I have two children (13 and 11 years). I am just having my resume rewritten (for the third time) so hopefully that might work and I might even get a reply from an employer! lol.

Did not realise you were a Shiela:D, thought you were a Wayne.;)

Taxi work, well its not really what a wife and a mother, well would want i guess....:unsure:

joeyb Jun 19th 2012 11:48 pm

Originally Posted by carling black label (Post 10128259)
Did not realise you were a Shiela:D, thought you were a Wayne.;)

Taxi work, well its not really what a wife and a mother, well would want i guess....:unsure:

It wouldn't bother me doing taxi work. I did look into it on the Sunshine Coast but I think you have to have a QLD drivers licence for a year. So I am bit short on that.
I will just stay positive and hope that something comes up.

Aussie06 Jun 20th 2012 12:29 am

I was out of work late last year for 4 months and it drove me insane, in the end i've had to take work in Brissie. Train in the morning to work and home at just gone 5 in the evening. Depends as well what work your looking to do?

Get in touch with a few of the recruitment agencies

KJCherokee Jun 20th 2012 1:25 am

When I arrived in Adelaide in 1983 I couldn't find any work for the first 3 months, then I picked up 6 weeks as a relief teacher (no qualifications, SA Ed Dept was really scraping the barrel in those days), then nothing until July when I landed another temporary relief job in engineering. Didn't get a full-time job until September.

How did I cope? Well at least I got the dole after the first 2-3 weeks which was good as I had a wife and two young daughters to support - apart from that the shortfall was made up out of capital. Don't think it's that easy nowadays to get government assistance. I don't feel guilty about getting the dole as I have more than paid it back in tax over the past 28 years!

Pollyana Jun 20th 2012 2:49 am

Originally Posted by carling black label (Post 10128201)

If you're driving a cab in Brisbane then able to drive, or talk, are both pretty optional in my experience - as is the ability to distinguish between left and right, or understand basic English :ohmy:

bingobob777 Jun 20th 2012 3:06 am

Originally Posted by joeyb (Post 10128231)

why don't you write your own resume? Not a very good sign for any potential employer that you can't even write a resume!!

joeyb Jun 20th 2012 3:14 am

Originally Posted by bingobob777 (Post 10128496)
why don't you write your own resume? Not a very good sign for any potential employer that you can't even write a resume!!

I have re written my resume twice and it doesn't seem to be doing the trick! So I have asked someone to help me tailor it more for the Australian job market.
Thanks for your helpful post.

jad n rich Jun 20th 2012 3:28 am

Originally Posted by joeyb (Post 10128511)

I have re written my resume twice and it doesn't seem to be doing the trick! So I have asked someone to help me tailor it more for the Australian job market.

Good idea.

One of the sons works for one of the mega corporations that own about half of australian stores:sneaky: None of them in any State except the Northern Territory are recruiting now (april ...... was august that has now been put on ? ) All casuals on minimal hours - none! or on call, no roster, just on the very off chance someone drops dead or something and they cant get the other staff to do their job:sneaky:

Partly the time of year, tax time, winter, partly recession and panic. Preserve profits, dont waste it on silly things like staff.

So give it a couple of months before you panic, its probably not you more the aussie economy. Once the govt has poured another round of baby child elderly carbon bonus into the system things will probably pick up again for a few months.