Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

5 months out of work and going insane!!

5 months out of work and going insane!!

Old Jun 19th 2012, 9:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of
Default 5 months out of work and going insane!!

Title speaks for itself really.
How long did it take you to get your first job when you moved to Australia? If it was quite long, how did you stop yourself from going bonkers?!

JO

Last edited by joeyb; Jun 19th 2012 at 9:58 pm. Reason: Added content
Old Jun 19th 2012, 10:49 pm
Banned

carling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 5 months out of work and going insane!!

Originally Posted by joeyb
Title speaks for itself really.
How long did it take you to get your first job when you moved to Australia? If it was quite long, how did you stop yourself from going bonkers?!

JO
Get yourself down to Brisbane, around CBD, do your taxi training, circa $600 bucks all in.....you will be earning as much as you want to put in the effort...If you can drive, can talk, and do not mind un-sociable hours,it will pay the bills. Better than stuck in a factory or office all day, well thats my view.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 10:58 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

I have PM'd you.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

joeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud ofjoeyb has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by carling black label
Get yourself down to Brisbane, around CBD, do your taxi training, circa $600 bucks all in.....you will be earning as much as you want to put in the effort...If you can drive, can talk, and do not mind un-sociable hours,it will pay the bills. Better than stuck in a factory or office all day, well thats my view.
Would do that but my Husband is working away at the moment so I have to stay local as I have two children (13 and 11 years). I am just having my resume rewritten (for the third time) so hopefully that might work and I might even get a reply from an employer! lol.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ray and Debbie
I have PM'd you.
I have Pm'd you back
Old Jun 19th 2012, 11:10 pm

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

And very good it was too. So good in fact, I think I'll PM you another day with the continuing story.
Old Jun 19th 2012, 11:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ray and Debbie
And very good it was too. So good in fact, I think I'll PM you another day with the continuing story.
Nice One x
Old Jun 19th 2012, 11:30 pm
Banned

carling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of light

Would do that but my Husband is working away at the moment so I have to stay local as I have two children (13 and 11 years). I am just having my resume rewritten (for the third time) so hopefully that might work and I might even get a reply from an employer! lol.
Did not realise you were a Shiela, thought you were a Wayne.

Taxi work, well its not really what a wife and a mother, well would want i guess....
Old Jun 19th 2012, 11:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Did not realise you were a Shiela, thought you were a Wayne.

Taxi work, well its not really what a wife and a mother, well would want i guess....
It wouldn't bother me doing taxi work. I did look into it on the Sunshine Coast but I think you have to have a QLD drivers licence for a year. So I am bit short on that.
I will just stay positive and hope that something comes up.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 12:29 am
Forum Regular

Aussie06 is an unknown quantity at this point

I was out of work late last year for 4 months and it drove me insane, in the end i've had to take work in Brissie. Train in the morning to work and home at just gone 5 in the evening. Depends as well what work your looking to do?

Get in touch with a few of the recruitment agencies
Old Jun 20th 2012, 1:25 am
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

When I arrived in Adelaide in 1983 I couldn't find any work for the first 3 months, then I picked up 6 weeks as a relief teacher (no qualifications, SA Ed Dept was really scraping the barrel in those days), then nothing until July when I landed another temporary relief job in engineering. Didn't get a full-time job until September.

How did I cope? Well at least I got the dole after the first 2-3 weeks which was good as I had a wife and two young daughters to support - apart from that the shortfall was made up out of capital. Don't think it's that easy nowadays to get government assistance. I don't feel guilty about getting the dole as I have more than paid it back in tax over the past 28 years!
Old Jun 20th 2012, 2:49 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

If you're driving a cab in Brisbane then able to drive, or talk, are both pretty optional in my experience - as is the ability to distinguish between left and right, or understand basic English
Old Jun 20th 2012, 3:06 am
BE Forum Addict

bingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond reputebingobob777 has a reputation beyond repute

why don't you write your own resume? Not a very good sign for any potential employer that you can't even write a resume!!
Old Jun 20th 2012, 3:14 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bingobob777
why don't you write your own resume? Not a very good sign for any potential employer that you can't even write a resume!!
I have re written my resume twice and it doesn't seem to be doing the trick! So I have asked someone to help me tailor it more for the Australian job market.
Thanks for your helpful post.
Old Jun 20th 2012, 3:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I have re written my resume twice and it doesn't seem to be doing the trick! So I have asked someone to help me tailor it more for the Australian job market.
Good idea.

One of the sons works for one of the mega corporations that own about half of australian stores None of them in any State except the Northern Territory are recruiting now (april ...... was august that has now been put on ? ) All casuals on minimal hours - none! or on call, no roster, just on the very off chance someone drops dead or something and they cant get the other staff to do their job

Partly the time of year, tax time, winter, partly recession and panic. Preserve profits, dont waste it on silly things like staff.

So give it a couple of months before you panic, its probably not you more the aussie economy. Once the govt has poured another round of baby child elderly carbon bonus into the system things will probably pick up again for a few months.

Last edited by jad n rich; Jun 20th 2012 at 3:30 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.