Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

400Mb plan sounded plenty but...

400Mb plan sounded plenty but...

Old Dec 6th 2005, 1:56 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice
Default Re: 400Mb plan sounded plenty but...

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
or.... http://www.watch-football.tv/ Although half the links start at 700 kbps.
the other one you don't have to pay for.
Old Dec 6th 2005, 2:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brisnick
the other one you don't have to pay for.
True.... Although we are talking about 12 bucks, per annum, and it works first time everytime.

I cannot remember the last time I bought software, (probably a kids game, before I discovered peer to peer swapping about 3 years ago) I paid for watchfootball though
Old Dec 6th 2005, 6:20 am
Nos De Caraid...

BartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of lightBartSimpson is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by worzel
I have signed up for 2 years with BigPond on their $39.99 plan which gives "broadband" 512k speeds and 400Mb traffic. It sounded loads but I used 460Mb in 2 weeks of November and already have 100Mb in under two days in December after downloading Skype and making a few calls, uploading a dozen pictures and an hours surf. So I have just had to upgrade to the "unlimited" $69.99 plan from January. We are going to have to ration internet use this month. If anyone is thinking of getting one of these capped plans - be warned they are far from sufficient.
Dont worry its new and you will get over it soon...
Old Dec 6th 2005, 6:35 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
I have signed up for 2 years with BigPond on their $39.99 plan which gives "broadband" 512k speeds and 400Mb traffic. It sounded loads but I used 460Mb in 2 weeks of November and already have 100Mb in under two days in December after downloading Skype and making a few calls, uploading a dozen pictures and an hours surf. So I have just had to upgrade to the "unlimited" $69.99 plan from January. We are going to have to ration internet use this month. If anyone is thinking of getting one of these capped plans - be warned they are far from sufficient.
I had an unlimited netspace broadband but after 2 months they scrapped the unlimited plans and forced me back onto a 15G + 15G plan for the same cost. I was mightily pissed off but for the money the 15+15G was still the best out there. Watch the unlimited plans because most of them are not unlimited at full speed and once a nominal amount has been reached they kick back to dial up speeds.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 2:12 pm
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by brisnick
go here http://www.fbtz.com/forum/ and register. all you need to know is here
thx
Old Dec 7th 2005, 2:45 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: 400Mb plan sounded plenty but...

Those broadband speeds sound disturbingly slow; here in the UK, we can get speeds of up to 10 meg with no download limits for a pretty reasonable fee.

As an example, I'm currently on 2 meg with no download limit for the equivalent of $35 per month!

What do you have to do to get something faster than 512k in Australia these days?
Old Dec 7th 2005, 6:17 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Those broadband speeds sound disturbingly slow; here in the UK, we can get speeds of up to 10 meg with no download limits for a pretty reasonable fee.

As an example, I'm currently on 2 meg with no download limit for the equivalent of $35 per month!

What do you have to do to get something faster than 512k in Australia these days?
ADSL on Telstra DSLAMs is available up to 1500 kbs. ADSL2 and 2+ on iinet DSLAMS (only select exchanges) is up 12500kbs. No matter who your ISP is nearly all broadband in Australia is done via Telstra DSLAMS. ADSL2 Pricing is similiar to ADSL however you have to take out their phone package.

Telstra are holding Australia in the dark ages as far as broadband goes and they are in a battle with the government over regulation. The government has the go for full Telstra selloff however it turns out that Telstra has been borrowing money to pay dividends rather than invest in new technology and infrastructure.

Britain's regulators had the same battle with BT a few years back but BT was never as politically sensitive and OFCOM had more powers than the ACCC.

I am with Aanet and pay $45 a month with 8 GB downloads. That is a good deal that they only make available every now and again.
Old Dec 7th 2005, 6:46 pm
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute
Lightbulb Re: 400Mb plan sounded plenty but...

Originally Posted by bondipom
ADSL on Telstra DSLAMs is available up to 1500 kbs. ADSL2 and 2+ on iinet DSLAMS (only select exchanges) is up 12500kbs. No matter who your ISP is nearly all broadband in Australia is done via Telstra DSLAMS. ADSL2 Pricing is similiar to ADSL however you have to take out their phone package.

Telstra are holding Australia in the dark ages as far as broadband goes and they are in a battle with the government over regulation. The government has the go for full Telstra selloff however it turns out that Telstra has been borrowing money to pay dividends rather than invest in new technology and infrastructure.

Britain's regulators had the same battle with BT a few years back but BT was never as politically sensitive and OFCOM had more powers than the ACCC.

I am with Aanet and pay $45 a month with 8 GB downloads. That is a good deal that they only make available every now and again.
Crikey, that's mad!

Thanks for the info... depressing though it is.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 2:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bondipom

I actually had the reverse problem, in that Iprimus took over an exchange here In Coburg, a very grey area from the point of view of legislation by the way. However Iprimus are currently not offering Adsl2 packages, whereas Telstra and ISP's that use Telstra equipment have access to the 12,500 speeds of Adsl2. I had to pay to get disconnected from the Iprimus exchange to go onto the Telstra one, and then get connected to IInet.

Iprimus customers be very wary of this.

Wasn't cheap either, However with the inbuilt voip connection that comes with IInet, I'll be infront within 4 months anyway.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 6:57 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vash the Stampede
Crikey, that's mad!

Thanks for the info... depressing though it is.
Its worse than mad, The really bonkers thing about it all is if you want faster you just reach your gb limit quicker and spend more of the month at a dialup speed. I had a 2000mbs unlimited plan in the UK before I left for about £29 a month. Here I'm on what now seems like a snails pace 512k link. I can upgrade it to 1500k link but there seems to be no point as like I said you just reach your limit quicker and end up frustrated.
Old Dec 8th 2005, 8:55 am
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by arkon
Its worse than mad, The really bonkers thing about it all is if you want faster you just reach your gb limit quicker and spend more of the month at a dialup speed. I had a 2000mbs unlimited plan in the UK before I left for about £29 a month. Here I'm on what now seems like a snails pace 512k link. I can upgrade it to 1500k link but there seems to be no point as like I said you just reach your limit quicker and end up frustrated.
I'm on 1.5mb with 18 gig limit, (aanet) which is just about enough. Works out about £30 per month. Not that much different to the UK (apart from the d/l limits) Plus the customer service with aanet is better.
I had bulldog in England and the customer service was terrible.