Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

400Mb plan sounded plenty but...

400Mb plan sounded plenty but...

Old Dec 2nd 2005, 8:16 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 400Mb plan sounded plenty but...

Originally Posted by Linda Lushardi
lol you're boring
Did you see the link for the right site?
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 8:20 pm
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by fraser
Did you see the link for the right site?

Yes, looking now. But i'll need to get Mr Lush to wade through it.
Thanks
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 8:20 pm

fraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond reputefraser has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, looking now. But i'll need to get Mr Lush to wade through it.
Thanks
You're welcome
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 8:43 pm

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
I have signed up for 2 years with BigPond on their $39.99 plan which gives "broadband" 512k speeds and 400Mb traffic. It sounded loads but I used 460Mb in 2 weeks of November and already have 100Mb in under two days in December after downloading Skype and making a few calls, uploading a dozen pictures and an hours surf. So I have just had to upgrade to the "unlimited" $69.99 plan from January. We are going to have to ration internet use this month. If anyone is thinking of getting one of these capped plans - be warned they are far from sufficient.

This is why I said no to Telstra. Sorry you couldnt read it before you signed up.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 10:48 pm
ABCDiamond

So what do you consider is the best deal for broadband here in NSW? My husband has been investigating it all and trying to compare all the deals and i have a feeling it giving him a headache!! Until he makes his mind up i'm stuck on dial up
Check out:
Internode HOME-Extreme-Value
$59.95 per month
Speed: 24,576k/1,024k (if your exchange is ADSL2 compatible) or 1500/256 if not.
15 GB Included
http://www.internode.on.net/adsl/pricing/home.htm

Old Dec 2nd 2005, 10:56 pm
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Check out:
$59.95 per month
Speed: 24,576k/1,024k (if your exchange is ADSL2 compatible) or 1500/256 if not.
15 GB Included
I now have aanet 1.5mb package.
$69.99 per month for 18 gig.

Its very fast I can download at 156 kbs (faster than in the UK)

Do not use Curl, they are crap, I could never d/l at more than 5 kbs (slower in fact than dial-up) Aviod anything to do with Veritas.
Old Dec 2nd 2005, 11:12 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by pompeywill

I am also on the aanet 1,500k (1.5mb) plan but with only 8gb, for $48pm. 8gb is plenty for me though.

Old Dec 2nd 2005, 11:21 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

your one bad experience shouldn't mean telling everyone to avoid them

i had no problems with curl, and i'm still with veridas, and yes, i still get 56KB/s P2P downloads (which is about the theoretical maximum for a 512kbps connection - 64KB/s, is the max, but there are also packet overheads).

and i have no contract so can leave when i like. i get 10GB for $34/month.

Originally Posted by pompeywill

Do not use Curl, they are crap, I could never d/l at more than 5 kbs (slower in fact than dial-up) Aviod anything to do with Veritas.
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 12:07 am
Banned

Linda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of lightLinda Lushardi is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Check out:
$59.95 per month
15 GB Included

Mr Lush is looking at that AND all the others on Frasers link.
Oh well, thats my Saturday over with. He'll be on my laptop ALL day and night comparing them.
I'm going swimming.
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Ialibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond reputeIalibu has a reputation beyond repute

I have signed up for 2 years with BigPond on their $39.99 plan which gives "broadband" 512k speeds and 400Mb traffic. It sounded loads but I used 460Mb in 2 weeks of November and already have 100Mb in under two days in December after downloading Skype and making a few calls, uploading a dozen pictures and an hours surf. So I have just had to upgrade to the "unlimited" $69.99 plan from January. We are going to have to ration internet use this month. If anyone is thinking of getting one of these capped plans - be warned they are far from sufficient.
Read the fine print, you will also find that Bigpond counts uploads as part of their quota. And your computer does talk a lot to whomever is talking to it. Are far as I know all other ISPs only count the downloads as quota.

As someone said look up Whirlpool. On their home page in the top right hand corner is where you type on your telephone number and hit ok it will tell you which telephone exchange you are hooked up to and offers you the choice of what is available and seeing who has what. It is all very "blonde friendly".
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 2:55 am
gsb
Cake or Death

gsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond reputegsb has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Iain

Beware.....Unlmited does not "as far as I am aware" truly mean Unlimited. My understanding is that you get so many Gb per month and once you have exceeded that then your speed drops from say 512 to 56k....gulp.....

Best check it out.

Cheers, G

Old Dec 3rd 2005, 3:49 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gsb
Hi Iain

Beware.....Unlmited does not "as far as I am aware" truly mean Unlimited. My understanding is that you get so many Gb per month and once you have exceeded that then your speed drops from say 512 to 56k....gulp.....

Best check it out.

Cheers, G
I am not too bothered about the 10Gb limit, I don't download music, film or tv etc but I didn't realise an average web page was 50kb so some average surfing uses up a lot of the limit. Even with hammering it at the moment I am using about 50Meg a day (c1.5Gig pcm) so have plenty spare.

I am happy enough with the 512 speed. This new PC is 8 times faster than the old one which makes the increase more noticeable.

My beef is that having realised my mistake I am stuffed this month. I will have to go in to the shop on Monday and see if I can change plans retrospectively. Even then $69 per month isn't cheap.
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 4:42 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Have you seen this

Optus Direct

How will it affect me

Exciting things coming up, basically sounds like they are shifting everyone from 500Mbs to 1500Mbs for the same price, provided you are in an area where they service
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 4:50 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

I am not too bothered about the 10Gb limit, I don't download music, film or tv etc but I didn't realise an average web page was 50kb so some average surfing uses up a lot of the limit. Even with hammering it at the moment I am using about 50Meg a day (c1.5Gig pcm) so have plenty spare.

I am happy enough with the 512 speed. This new PC is 8 times faster than the old one which makes the increase more noticeable.

My beef is that having realised my mistake I am stuffed this month. I will have to go in to the shop on Monday and see if I can change plans retrospectively. Even then $69 per month isn't cheap.
Hey worzel,Im a bit concerned as we are literally reading all the bumph now on which server to go with and all this talk of going over the limit within the month and the huge extra cost involved....whats your advice? We just do a bit of surfing and recv. emails with the occasional picture or downloadable joke and a bit of banking, are we gonna have to go the $69.99 straightaway do you think? and then theres the question of the best homephone plan ( I make a fair few uk calls each week) give us some advise please someone!
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 5:04 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by squeezzii
Hey worzel,Im a bit concerned as we are literally reading all the bumph now on which server to go with and all this talk of going over the limit within the month and the huge extra cost involved....whats your advice? We just do a bit of surfing and recv. emails with the occasional picture or downloadable joke and a bit of banking, are we gonna have to go the $69.99 straightaway do you think? and then theres the question of the best homephone plan ( I make a fair few uk calls each week) give us some advise please someone!
Though I'm not Worzel, I'll give you my advice anyway.

For the phone calls to the UK, buy an international phone card, most newsagents sell them. Then you can call the UK for about 1.5 cents per minute regardless of who your phone provider is. You can buy them at most newsagents, but especially if you go to chinatown or near universities. You pay $50 up front and then use them till they run out (at 1.5 cents per minute they take a loooonggg time to run out). You basically call their freephone number and then type in the pin on the card and then the number in the UK you want to ring.

From your usage description of the internet you certainly don't need to go to a 10 or 12 gig plan. there should be something in between, depending on which provider you go with. Most have a 2 or 4 gig a month limit which would be more than enough.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
ADL

Last edited by A dogs life; Dec 3rd 2005 at 5:06 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.