Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

400Mb plan sounded plenty but...

400Mb plan sounded plenty but...

Old Dec 3rd 2005, 5:14 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: 400Mb plan sounded plenty but...

Originally Posted by squeezzii
Hey worzel,Im a bit concerned as we are literally reading all the bumph now on which server to go with and all this talk of going over the limit within the month and the huge extra cost involved....whats your advice? We just do a bit of surfing and recv. emails with the occasional picture or downloadable joke and a bit of banking, are we gonna have to go the $69.99 straightaway do you think? and then theres the question of the best homephone plan ( I make a fair few uk calls each week) give us some advise please someone!
About $44 per month should get you sufficient, with a 1500k speed. I do more than you seem to do, and hardly go over 1Gb per month

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc-plan.c...=1&dd=1&sort=2

Might be worth looking at aanet for there current special offer.

Old Dec 3rd 2005, 5:26 am

A dogs life is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
About $44 per month should get you sufficient, with a 1500k speed. I do more than you seem to do, and hardly go over 1Gb per month

Where is the 1500K speed, plan for $44? I'd be quite interested in that for the new house, but I can't find it on the aaNet site. All the 1500K speed plans are 8Gb a month and above and are looking for $55 and above
Old Dec 3rd 2005, 5:33 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by A dogs life
Where is the 1500K speed, plan for $44? I'd be quite interested in that for the new house, but I can't find it on the aaNet site. All the 1500K speed plans are 8Gb a month and above and are looking for $55 and above
That one is actually with http://www.netcall.com.au/ shown at the whirlpool link I gave for WA. (squeezzii's location)

Actually it is shown for QLD aswell.

Old Dec 3rd 2005, 1:40 pm
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by brisnick
your one bad experience shouldn't mean telling everyone to avoid them

i had no problems with curl, and i'm still with veridas, and yes, i still get 56KB/s P2P downloads (which is about the theoretical maximum for a 512kbps connection - 64KB/s, is the max, but there are also packet overheads).

and i have no contract so can leave when i like. i get 10GB for $34/month.
Well maybe its different in Brisbane, here in WA believe me they are useless.
I tried everything, even bought a modem/router thinking that was restricting my connection some way.
Curl customer support is also a joke, the same guy always answers the phone whichever number you ring, tech support, sales, customer service, sales whatever, its always the same guy! Plus he doesn't even speak English that well! (when he bothers to answer the phone)
They charge for a service that they cant provide, absolute bloody joke.

I then switched to aanet and it works like a dream.

SO I REPEAT DO NOT USE CURL COMMUNICATIONS, YOU WILL ENTER A WORLD OF PAIN :scared:
Old Dec 4th 2005, 1:42 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A dogs life
From your usage description of the internet you certainly don't need to go to a 10 or 12 gig plan. there should be something in between, depending on which provider you go with. Most have a 2 or 4 gig a month limit which would be more than enough.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
ADL
That is what I thought but it soon mounts up. Also bear in mind that you normally sign up for 24 months for everything out here (you can do shorter but the price goes up significantly and you don't get the free installation / half-price for a few months options). So even though you mostly do just emails and a bit of surfing now can you confidently say that is all you will do in 2 years time? I have already started having a few video / VoiP calls a week, running a weblog with lots of photos (uploads count towards the limit on BigPond) and downloading various programs like anti-spyware etc which have new releases all the time.

Don't go for a limited download plan short of at least a few Gb.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 1:56 am
Bloomin' well done it!!!!

ladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond reputeladywithatorch has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: 400Mb plan sounded plenty but...

Originally Posted by worzel
That is what I thought but it soon mounts up. Also bear in mind that you normally sign up for 24 months for everything out here (you can do shorter but the price goes up significantly and you don't get the free installation / half-price for a few months options). So even though you mostly do just emails and a bit of surfing now can you confidently say that is all you will do in 2 years time? I have already started having a few video / VoiP calls a week, running a weblog with lots of photos (uploads count towards the limit on BigPond) and downloading various programs like anti-spyware etc which have new releases all the time.

Thanks for that - --we as a family use loads of internet time a week and we would hate to be "stung" for this.

PLEASE OZ just let me have a decent internet connection so i can talk to my rellies!!!!

xRachx
Old Dec 4th 2005, 2:15 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

but if you are clever and hunt around you can get around the 24 month thing without paying extra for almost everything (only foxtel out-foxing me at the moment).

internet: $34/month - no contract, can leave when i like without paying a fee, 512kbps/10GB downloads, plenty fast enough (i even watch premiership live via the net through onto my TV)
mobile: no monthly fee, 15c text messages, 39c/min calls with no flagfall

i flat refuse to sign a contract longer than 6-months, but haven't ever had to sign ANY contract for internet/mobile.

Originally Posted by worzel

Old Dec 4th 2005, 2:52 am
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond

Have taken note of the web info and had a brief look at the pages-it looks like exactly the info we were looking for! thanks a million ABC! cheers
Old Dec 4th 2005, 3:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

IInet, I've just switched to their adsl2, although my exchange is not adsl2 enabled at present, speeds at present 1,500 down 256 up, will change to 12 mbps down and 1.5 mbs up, 40 gigs of download, plus a free voip line, (I cannot understand why people aint knocking on doors and selling voip, everyone on here should have voip thats for sure) 69.95 bucks for the high speed net and voip + 40 gigs. Have to have your phone with them, although it isn't IInet after all turns out to be aapt on the phone side of things.

All up package including telephone line rental 99 bucks per month. I'm assuming most on here are forgetting the telephone line rental component.

BTW 40 gigs is more than enough, even with teenagers in the house.

I've just had fun trying to set up a wireless network here, I actually got it going to my Daughters comp, checked out the log, and couldn't easily understand it. Hence I rushed like a bull at a gate at the security side of things and tinkered with the Mac addresses (turns out that was total overkill)

To cut a long story short, after hours and hours on the phone to IInet and Belkin, I stuffed up the flashrom in the modem, or the flashrom has a fault in it, as I couldnt access the reconfiguration page on 10.1.1.1. I am getting a new reprogammed modem sent to me.

I reckon I've dedicated 6 or more hours to trying to sort that lot out this weekend dammit. Oh well at least I've learnt a bit about wireless networking and adsl modems and routers and firewalls lol

Moral is, never touch those Mac address thingys unless you actually work in that area lol. Stuff it my mate can set up the security next time, cost to me 6 cans of vic lol.

Weird thing is, I've had 3 things break on me this weekend, my spa, my net connection and my lounge room door, plus the missus scrapped the car,. Thank god there is beer at times likes this.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 4:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

but if you are clever and hunt around you can get around the 24 month thing without paying extra for almost everything (only foxtel out-foxing me at the moment).

internet: $34/month - no contract, can leave when i like without paying a fee, 512kbps/10GB downloads, plenty fast enough (i even watch premiership live via the net through onto my TV)
mobile: no monthly fee, 15c text messages, 39c/min calls with no flagfall

i flat refuse to sign a contract longer than 6-months, but haven't ever had to sign ANY contract for internet/mobile.

Youd best check out that whirlpool site... downloading at 512kbps may be fine, but apparently you need 1.5 mbps to ensure good "live tv" because of backgound activity etc.

Thats why I gave away Iprimus, Football on the Net.

I must reiiterate, anyone that talks to family in the uk on a regular basis, should have must have voip. Your phone bill will be cut to a fraction of what it is now. 10 cent local/national calls for starters, 29 cent per min mobile, no flagfall, 5 cent per min oseas calls, sure you can use phone cards, but the cheap ones have a flagfall, and they are a pain in the butt. Oh and free calls to other Voip users. Plus an extra line that anyone can dial into !!!! Great if you have lots of phone addicts in the house.

This voip stuff should be the easiest thing to sell, that I've ever seen in my life. Especially to expats from anywhere.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 11:01 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i definately have the best deal for me. 512kbps is fine for watching live tv. i could upgrade to 1.5mbps and pay $65/month, but i really don't need to.

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Youd best check out that whirlpool site... downloading at 512kbps may be fine, but apparently you need 1.5 mbps to ensure good "live tv" because of backgound activity etc.
Old Dec 4th 2005, 11:09 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Here's a good site for comparing all the different boradband deals:

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc-plan.c...=1&dd=1&sort=0

Dodo also count uploads as part of the quota so should be avoided.

I went for the Amcom 1.5M/256k - 10Gig deal for $59 a month.

Don't forget I work in IT and I canvassed the opinions of my colleagues and the consensus was, in WA go for Amcon, iinet or Westnet.

Also a few of my pals on Amcom regularly exceed their download limit but have never been "shaped" (throttled back).
Old Dec 5th 2005, 12:39 am
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

How do you watch the footie then?
I would be interested in how that is set up. hint hint
Old Dec 5th 2005, 12:47 am
Drunken Aussie

go here http://www.fbtz.com/forum/ and register. all you need to know is here

Originally Posted by pompeywill
How do you watch the footie then?
I would be interested in how that is set up. hint hint
Old Dec 6th 2005, 1:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

or.... http://www.watch-football.tv/ Although half the links start at 700 kbps.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.