Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

2.28 and falling, Yippee....

2.28 and falling, Yippee....

Old Jan 12th 2008, 1:45 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2.28 and falling, Yippee....

Originally Posted by arkon
Also interest rates need to be taken into account, Uk's is much lower and falling whereas here it's high and rising. The rest of the world is falling too. just Australia bucking the trend.
Because our economy is booming and most of the rest of the western world is not.
China has high interest rates too.
I'd rather have higher interest rates due to booming economy than recession.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 2:02 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by goingau
QUOTE]

if it 2to1 exchange, 10 to 5 interest is it not the same
No not really. by the time you take inflation into account, say 3% ish for both countries, in Oz you will be gaining 7% over inflation and uk only 2% (3 times the amount)

Technically the money is worth the same in both countries whereas a percentage is a percentage. In this case the higher the better.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 2:06 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Because our economy is booming and most of the rest of the western world is not.
China has high interest rates too.
I'd rather have higher interest rates due to booming economy than recession.
With big boom comes big bust though. The UK long ago diversified to other things to reduce the severity and chance of the boom bust cycle, here I'm not sure the same can be said.
Old Jan 12th 2008, 2:14 am
Account Closed

PaulandNic is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by moneypen20
For your sake I hope it goes your way. For everyone moving out here now - I apologise
Ditto that! ...
Old Jan 12th 2008, 2:21 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by arkon
With big boom comes big bust though. The UK long ago diversified to other things to reduce the severity and chance of the boom bust cycle, here I'm not sure the same can be said.
UK gave up it's manufacturing industries because they were too uncompetitive and this continues to be the case. They did not do it willingly to avoid boom/bust cycles.
Australian economy is based on commodities and lives and dies by their price. Manufacturing is tiny here - always has been, always will. Attempts to boost manufacturing have been unsuccessful and is not worth the effort.
Right now we are in the midst of a commodity boom which shows no sign of abating - we all know the reasons for it. Also food prices are rising rapidly globally - and Australia produces a lot of food, despite drought.
The only thing that is going to derail the Australian economy is an Asian economic reversal. It could happen but who would predict it? If that happens then the whole world will be affected, not just Australia.