Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

2.28 and falling, Yippee....

2.28 and falling, Yippee....

Old Oct 11th 2007, 4:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

sammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond reputesammyg has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 2.28 and falling, Yippee....

just been thinking about this 'post hierarchy'...it frequently occurs to me that the people on here that write the most pointless and unworthwhile posts are the ones with the highest post counts!!

i think some people try to live their life through this website

Old Oct 11th 2007, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

coriuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Wol
And Hutch I bet you (quite rightly) complained like hell about what you describe. And you should: inefficiency at the level we're talking about is inexcusable.

What Arkon and others are saying is that there is a greater level of incompetence here - but that the proletariat just sits and accepts that's the way it is: there seems absolutely NO idea that (a) there are better and cheaper ways of doing things elsewhere and (b) we should aspire to improvement, not to mediocrity.

Americans are also bullshitters and jingoists (generalising a little <g> ) but the difference is that they won't just accept things *have* to be done badly.
I think you are probably quite right on this front. The problem being that most australians think they live in the best country in the world. Australia is so isolated, that it is difficult for them/us to make direct comparrisons as to how to make improvements.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

nessyp is on a distinguished road

Any ideas which way £ to $ is going on the grapevine? I fly out in 3 weeks now, my own bloody stupid fault should have bought 6 weeks ago but heh hindsight is a great thing. I remember going a few years ago and it was almost $3 to £1 bring it on
Old Oct 11th 2007, 10:01 pm
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

So, if Aus needs to aspire to be more like the UK does that mean we have to take on all the things that are pants in the UK compared to Aus.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 10:10 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by nessyp
Any ideas which way £ to $ is going on the grapevine? I fly out in 3 weeks now, my own bloody stupid fault should have bought 6 weeks ago but heh hindsight is a great thing. I remember going a few years ago and it was almost $3 to £1 bring it on
I reckon it will fluctuate in the coming weeks (and months).
Old Oct 11th 2007, 10:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Fluctuate upwards hopefully lol
If you can promise me 2.40 il get the beers in
Old Oct 11th 2007, 10:57 pm
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

I promise the exchange rate will go up to $2.40. There. Mine's a Pure Blonde thanks...

S
Old Oct 11th 2007, 10:58 pm
Account Closed

2.4's achievable. I think it'll be a long time before it goes as high as 3.

Good luck.
Old Oct 11th 2007, 11:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Beers all round then and il have a tooheys extra
Old Oct 11th 2007, 11:33 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
I reckon it will fluctuate in the coming weeks (and months).
I agree. Short term the AUD is going to get stronger - but there will be blips.
Old Oct 12th 2007, 8:13 am
Look at moi!!!

Weasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond reputeWeasy has a reputation beyond repute

Getting closer Arkon - now under $2.25. Are you getting excited?
Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Nick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to beholdNick11 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Weasy
Just under 2.4 now and going down!!!! I can hear the cheers from here!
Old Oct 12th 2007, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

anawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
So, if Aus needs to aspire to be more like the UK does that mean we have to take on all the things that are pants in the UK compared to Aus.
I don't think anyone is (or if they are, they shouldn't be) saying that Oz should aspire to be more like the U.K. What they are saying is that Australians GENERALLY don't like to hear anything that could even be conceived as a criticism agains their wonderful country.
If I try to explain to people at work how something was done in a more efficient, safer or cheaper way in the U.K, I just get told "well why don't you move back then if it's so good". Hardly the way to improve things. As much as it may upset some people, there are things that are better about being in the U.K. Likewise, there are things that are better about being here, otherwise I wouldn't be! It's all about the total package.
I'd just like to be able to tell people about a possible alternative way to do things without being branded a whinger.

Also, there is no way that service is better in the U.K. None whatsoever. I was always disappointed in the service there, even before coming to Oz, but poor service here is the exception, not the rule, and as far as I'm concerned, if the service where you are is so woeful, then move or put up with it. Likewise, if there is no nightlife, then move to the Melbourne or Sydney CBD. It's not the whole country where you have these problems, only the part of it you've chosen, although it's always much easier to blame everyone else but yourself.....If you don't like the pubs, well there's not a lot you can do about that in fairness. They are all shite.

I've been reading these forums, and have posted in the past under my wifes username, for well over 3 years, and I've seen more than enought posts from Arkon to know what a miserable existence they are leading. Although I agree that people should be free to post whatever they like, and certainly don't wear rose tinted specs having had more than my fair share of problems and frustrations with Oz and it's way sometimes, I really do have to wonder if it's healthy to be so negative all of the time! Seriously, just for once put a sock in it! We know you hate the place. We know you can't wait to move back. So stop bleating on about it at every oportunity.

Australia truly is stuck in the past in some respects, but I think it's travelling in the right direction, even if it's not as quickly as I'd like. Some people need to try getting out there and living it and improving things where they can, and suffering the frustrations where they can't, instead of spending every day and night posting on here. As for the thing about the number of posts people have made in the past; if posts such as "mine's a beer", or "me too" constitute a meaningful or insightful post which seems to give your opinons more weight in some peoples eyes, then maybe it's not Oz that has the problems, but this forum.....................
Old Oct 12th 2007, 10:15 am
Ex BE ***** Addict

arkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond reputearkon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Weasy
Wetting myself. Not sure what to do when it reaches my target though as the money is locked up in the house!
Old Oct 12th 2007, 10:17 am
Forum Regular

anawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of lightanawanahuanana is a glorious beacon of light

You could sell the house now and offer to rent it back from the new owner month by month?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.