Whatya Reading??

Old Jul 5th 2010, 9:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Whatya Reading??

Oooh - I didnt know that Bryson had a new book - I've read almost all his others. I loved them - but especially Down Under and The Thunderbolt Kid
Old Jul 5th 2010, 9:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patty
Oooh - I didnt know that Bryson had a new book - I've read almost all his others. I loved them - but especially Down Under and The Thunderbolt Kid
This time he is talking about homes and houses-interesting facts and not about travel.
OH has all of his books, although I have not read them all.
Old Jul 9th 2010, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

dina1965 will become famous soon enoughdina1965 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Anderson Council
Ever noticed how Italians (who generally don't read much cos their stupid schools teach them to equate reading with "study" rather than "pleasure") tend to love the same books. A Thousand Splendid Suns, The Da Vinci Code, Siddhathra, One Hundred Years Of Solitude and The Picture Of Dorian Gray seem to be the national favourites.
unfortunately, italian teenagers (at least those I know) wouldn't dream of picking a book up for "pleasure". I think it's because they're not taught to use a public library (I don't even think there is one in Salerno). We were taken on a tour of the liceo before signing up our son last September, the so-called library was just full of ancient text books, had two desks and a couple of chairs. "to be used if pupils wish to do their homework at school".

Originally Posted by TestaRossa
I have to say though the heart of the story *spoiler*
is a male rape scene and for a 13 year old boy to have to read about that - well I hope he was already reasonably well informed about such things!!! Thought you should be warned!! 0
I think internet/tv/friends have already covered the subject in all its forms thoroughly !!!
Old Jul 9th 2010, 9:01 pm
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Lol! I asked Alex without going into detail and he knew the basic story too! I was living in hope that teens in Italy were less knowing!! Some hope with the tv here!!! Italy is far more laid back about sex than the UK so I should've known he'd be informed!!!
Old Jul 10th 2010, 6:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Lol! I asked Alex without going into detail and he knew the basic story too! I was living in hope that teens in Italy were less knowing!! Some hope with the tv here!!! Italy is far more laid back about sex than the UK so I should've known he'd be informed!!!
yep ! long gone are the days when he would say that the difference between men and women was "men wear boxers and women wear knickers" !!!!
Old Jul 10th 2010, 9:53 am
The Original Red Head!

TestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond reputeTestaRossa has a reputation beyond repute

Well he'll like the ending if you can get him to read it!! Thing is I'd have picked a contemporary Italian book like I'm Not Scared for that age group, but that's me!! Unless he's already read it?
Old Jul 10th 2010, 12:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Well he'll like the ending if you can get him to read it!! Thing is I'd have picked a contemporary Italian book like I'm Not Scared for that age group, but that's me!! Unless he's already read it?
He's seen the film. As I mentioned before he's not "into" reading. In an attempt to get him to read a book in English, I bought him The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole a few months ago thinking it would be both easy and relatively "fun". He would never admit to enjoying it but I did notice he actually finished it !
Old Jul 10th 2010, 12:42 pm
The Original Red Head!

I have another suggestion then - alex rider books (teen spy but not twee at all) and darren Shan - my son loved/loves them.
Old Jul 10th 2010, 6:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dina1965
He's seen the film. As I mentioned before he's not "into" reading. In an attempt to get him to read a book in English, I bought him The Secret Diary of Adrian Mole a few months ago thinking it would be both easy and relatively "fun". He would never admit to enjoying it but I did notice he actually finished it !
OMG, I loved those books! They cracked me up as a young teen. I loved the series on the telly too. Julie Walters as his mum. Just fab!
Old Jul 11th 2010, 9:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

indiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud ofindiebird has much to be proud of

just finished Elegance of the Hedgehog. What a beautiful, beautiful book but what a sad but wonderful ending.... am moving on to I Capture the Castle next....
Old Jul 11th 2010, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Isakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond reputeIsakat has a reputation beyond repute

A couple of months ago I read the Tulip Fever by Deborah Moggach.Could not put it down. It is a historical thriller/love story set in 17th century Amsterdam which was gripped by tulip bulb speculation and it is lush, visual and sensual .
Old Aug 10th 2010, 5:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

I placed my first order with "the book depositary" on 1st August, the order has been "dispatched" - do they use ordinary postal services or a courier ?
Old Aug 10th 2010, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Patty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond reputePatty has a reputation beyond repute

Never used them Dina so cant help you - sorry

Whilst on holiday I read loads of books (thanks to the charity shop at 20p a go !!)
My favourite was The Chimney Sweepers Boy by Barbara Vine (aka Ruth Rendell) it was really really good. Started a new book this week but had to stop as it was too creepy - will re-read it when OH comes back Its called The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters.
Also enjoyed The boy with the striped pyjamas and The Tenth Circle (jodi picoult) and The Secret life of Bees (?)
...............so many books so little time
Old Aug 11th 2010, 8:18 am
Gio
BE Enthusiast

Location: London. and visiting Italy when the Parmesan runs out!
Gio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud ofGio has much to be proud of

Turn of the screw by Henry James. An ambiguous little ghost story.
Old Aug 11th 2010, 2:58 pm
Forum Regular

durobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud ofdurobird has much to be proud of

Hi Dina. I have used the "book depository" a lot out here. The longest I ever had to wait was 9 days. Usually its within one week.However I suppose each area is different and depends on your postie. They come with the normal post here,and usually in seperate parcels. So if you've ordered say 3 books,expect them all packaged and posted seperately.
I'm on hol in the Amalfi coast right now. I borrowed a book from a local hotel...."Tara Road" by Maeve Binchey. I expected an easy holiday read,but couldnt put it down.Pleasantly surprised. Now I am on "Wives and Daughters" by Elizabeth Gaskell.
Happy holiday everybody

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.