Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Friday fun - stupidest thing you've been asked since you've been here...

Friday fun - stupidest thing you've been asked since you've been here...

Old Dec 20th 2007, 12:22 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Friday fun - stupidest thing you've been asked since you've been here...

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Brits might be in the next restaurant booth and only (might) make eye contact if the floor cracked open and smoke rose up from hell.
Originally Posted by britex01
As Yanks flee the place an Englishman would cooly light up his Havana and chirp, "More wine?" ....

---
Yanks flee the place? Maybe, but only to escape the Aussies climbing up out of the hole...
Old Dec 20th 2007, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Friday fun - stupidest thing you've been asked since you've been here...

Originally Posted by britex01
As Yanks flee the place an Englishman would cooly light up his Havana and chirp, "More wine?" ....

---
lol - that reminded me of that old Hamlet cigar ad - remember the one - "happiness is a cigar called Hamlet..." with the guy with the mammoth comb over!
Old Dec 20th 2007, 3:08 am
lush

Juswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond reputeJuswus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ri_mischief
Did anyone see this joke....
What Europe is doing in these days of Heightened Security
[/COLOR]
^^^ Loved that!

I guess the stupidest question ever was
"what is that language you are speaking?"
(one of my colleagues typed that up in a log we keep of stupid things customers say! )

Also:

Him: You don't get trucks this big in England do you?
Me: Yes
Him: NO YOU DONT!!!!!
Me: emmm...ok

And I love being told on a daily basis: "you're not from round here!"
No sh*t Sherlock!!!!!

Last edited by Juswus; Dec 20th 2007 at 3:16 am.
Old Dec 20th 2007, 6:05 am
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Juswus
^^^ Loved that!

I guess the stupidest question ever was
"what is that language you are speaking?"
(one of my colleagues typed that up in a log we keep of stupid things customers say! )

Also:

Him: You don't get trucks this big in England do you?
Me: Yes
Him: NO YOU DONT!!!!!
Me: emmm...ok

And I love being told on a daily basis: "you're not from round here!"
No sh*t Sherlock!!!!!
Hey - just got another one....

"Do you have eggplant in England"
"Yes - but we call them aubergines" (why did I do that)
"Are they the same though?"
"Yes - just a different name...."
"Do they taste the same?"
...."yes"....
"Do they look the same?"

GGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Old Dec 20th 2007, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

Ariel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to allAriel the Mermaid is a name known to all

My favorite is

Store clerk ' Are you from The UK?'
Me 'yes'
Clerk ' I have a friend lives in Bir-ming-ham, do you know them?'
Me; 'Is it Dave with the short brown hair?'
Clerk ' OMG! you do know him, wow that's like, totally amazing?'
Clerk' What's your name? I'm going to call him and let him know'
Me ' shaking head and walking away......'
Old Dec 20th 2007, 6:36 am
Just Joined

Cumbrian will become famous soon enoughCumbrian will become famous soon enough

The other one I get every year....

Yank "Are you going home for Thanksgiving?"
Me "No....it's not a holiday in England"
Yank "REALLY????" vvvvvvv surprised screech at end of word
Me (very patiently) "well....it's all about the pilgrims isn't it....they're the Brits that got away, why would we celebrate....."
Cue either blank looks or laughs depending on IQ

Yep.... I've had the other one:
"Do you celebrate Independence Day in England?"
Old Dec 20th 2007, 6:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by miss scouse atl
It must be the northern accent cos Ive been asked if Im RUSSIAN!!
Northern accents must really throw them. I've been asked if I'm German and - quite frequently - whether I'm Australian.

(Heaven help them if I used Lakeland dialect on them. I suspect they would then guess I'm from Mars!)
Old Dec 20th 2007, 6:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
I wouldn't exactly call nicking hub caps a job but it's a start
You just made me spit my coffee all over the keyboard!!!
Old Dec 20th 2007, 7:03 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Silly Sod
Oh wait, just thought of a couple. Might have mentioned them before in a similar thread but here goes. The wifes dad (who is a f ookin Dr!!!) while watching a doco about princess di's demise asked me: So, is that why they got divorced then? Totally seriously. My beer went down my nose!!!! Did big ears divoirce her coz she got killed in a car wreck.

During another doco about Pearl Harbour: So, I guess that's what started WW2 then? That was when I began to have some rather nagging doubts about this place
BAM! SPIT! ROFL ---- God preserve us!
Old Dec 20th 2007, 7:14 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Peacefulove
I am always mistaken for an Aussi, Irish, German or Polish. I am constantly asked if im from London, seems most of the folk ive met havent heard of anywhere else or just make the assumption even though i sound nothing like a Londoner....but bizzarley I have been asked when I have told them im from England if England is in London....!
Would anyone even WANT to sound like a Londoner? <<ducking>>
Old Dec 20th 2007, 7:24 am
now I know my J,C,B's

Paul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond reputePaul S has a reputation beyond repute

Hey - just got another one....

"Do you have eggplant in England"
"Yes - but we call them aubergines" (why did I do that)
"Are they the same though?"
"Yes - just a different name...."
"Do they taste the same?"
...."yes"....
"Do they look the same?"

GGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

you've obviously met my neighbours son

Originally Posted by Cumbrian
Yep.... I've had the other one:
"Do you celebrate Independence Day in England?"
I have had varying results in telling people Yes in answer to this
Old Dec 20th 2007, 7:27 am
Just Joined

Not a question at all, but after an event in Chicago we were being taken back to our respectice hotels in a coach and the driver announced that he would take us to see "the oldest house in Chicago - a real piece of history."

I got some serious frowns for my laughter when we got their and he proudly said: "There you are, folks - 1865!"

(And how come the great fire of Chicago isn't as famous as the Pudding Lane equivalent? Did nobody care, perhaps?! )
Old Dec 20th 2007, 7:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Paul S
I have had varying results in telling people Yes in answer to this
It took my Mother-in-Law-to-be (which she now is) quite a while to forgive me after the first Thansgiving dinner I had with them, several years ago.

I told them "This year there is particular reason for giving thanks. Queen Elizabeth has announced that as long as the Americans will behave themselves she will have you back." (At least the F-in-L-to-be found it amusing!)
Old Dec 20th 2007, 8:30 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Not a question at all, but after an event in Chicago we were being taken back to our respectice hotels in a coach and the driver announced that he would take us to see "the oldest house in Chicago - a real piece of history."

I got some serious frowns for my laughter when we got their and he proudly said: "There you are, folks - 1865!"

(And how come the great fire of Chicago isn't as famous as the Pudding Lane equivalent? Did nobody care, perhaps?! )
I raised one of those "looks" from my wife when after listening to a bore going on about the really old houses in Boston and I responded with, "My kids school was founded before your country"
Old Dec 20th 2007, 8:36 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

I sent a revocation of Independence notice to my US friends when there was all the issue of hanging chads and while they couldnt make their mind up.

One of the statements was that Queen Elizabeth would accept all of the states back into her commonwealth, except for Ohio because she didn't like the sound of it. There were other various funny remarks about learning to spell Favourite and say words such as Aluminum, Data, Privacy, Status and Schedule properly

Raised a few laughs, but also it also raised some pretty nasty responses too.....

Sometimes I wonder where their sense of humour is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.