Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Friday fun - stupidest thing you've been asked since you've been here...

Friday fun - stupidest thing you've been asked since you've been here...

Old Dec 25th 2007, 4:57 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Friday fun - stupidest thing you've been asked since you've been here...

Originally Posted by ri_mischief
Hey everyone - how about giving me some karma????? I started this thread after all.....and it is Xmas!

Just kidding -
Just aswell
Old Dec 25th 2007, 11:00 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Friday fun - stupidest thing you've been asked since you've been here...

Originally Posted by Manc
you started only the 17 thread on daft things yanks say.
Only the 17th huh????

I started this thread 'cos I was bored a couple of Fridays ago...and it's given me a lot of laughs

I know - I'm a sad b***h
Old Dec 27th 2007, 3:31 am
Just Joined

ukgbnott will become famous soon enough

Similar to the OP:
*some babble about how she likes the English accent*
"Do you speak French?"
Me: "No..?"
"What, you don't speak French?"
Me: "Um..no..?"
"Why, what language do they speak in England?"

And then the most annoying one I get all the time when I'm referred to:
".....he's from London"
London is not synonymous with England!!! from Nottingham dammit
Old Dec 27th 2007, 8:02 am
Just Joined

GEG_Girl will become famous soon enough

Ok - so maybe there is some hope for the future generations.

On visiting the US to see my Niece a couple of years ago (she was 4), I was making lunch and said "I'm peckish" to which she replied "No you're not Auntie C, you're ENGLISH"

V. cute - also she was convinced that I lived at the airport as that's where she always came to collect me!!
Old Dec 27th 2007, 8:10 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by ri_mischief
Only the 17th huh????

I started this thread 'cos I was bored a couple of Fridays ago...and it's given me a lot of laughs

I know - I'm a sad b***h
I thought you were male?

Don't mind some of us. We're the ones you see in the 40's movies, hanging around the bar, fag in the mouth, and a drink in the hand, with the air of been there, done it / seen it all.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 8:12 am
The destruct-a-bunny

weazie will become famous soon enoughweazie will become famous soon enough

Me: on a rant about how football has more right to be called football than american football because there actually is some hitting of the ball with the foot.

Husband: Well, the name football has nothing to do with the foot does it? Because the British'football' is spelt F-U-T ball: nothing to do with the foot!!! (said with some authority)

Me: Errr- wtf??

I think all he's ever watched is mexican 'futball'.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 8:12 am

Redlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really niceRedlippie is just really nice

Originally Posted by ukgbnott
Similar to the OP:
*some babble about how she likes the English accent*
"Do you speak French?"
Me: "No..?"
"What, you don't speak French?"
Me: "Um..no..?"
"Why, what language do they speak in England?"

And then the most annoying one I get all the time when I'm referred to:
".....he's from London"
London is not synonymous with England!!! from Nottingham dammit
I once watched a contestant on one of those stupid shows say that they spoke French in Portugal.

And that would be 'FutBol'.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

ri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of lightri_mischief is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Redlippie
I thought you were male?

Don't mind some of us. We're the ones you see in the 40's movies, hanging around the bar, fag in the mouth, and a drink in the hand, with the air of been there, done it / seen it all.
Nope - definitely 100% female....why did you think I was male????

Been accused of many things in my life - but that one's a first ;-)
Old Dec 28th 2007, 12:33 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Boots assistant today in Norwich UK.

I open my wallet that has my California D/L showing, to pay, and this proves that us Brits are just as dopey....Well not all of us

Girlie Assitant:
"Oh you've got a California ID!! I always wanted to go Australia but my husand won't fly that far"

And we thought we had problems in the US.

Last edited by Poppy girl; Dec 28th 2007 at 2:01 am.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 1:52 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl

I open my wallet that has my California D/L showing, to pay, and this proves that us Brits are just a dopey....Well not all of us

Girlie Assitant:
"Oh you've got a California ID!! I always wanted to go Australia but my husand won't fly that far"

Never underestimate the power of education or lack of it! I suppose the trendy move away from the old style Geography lessons has a lot to answer for.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 10:12 am

:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all:Huey is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Poppy girl

I open my wallet that has my California D/L showing, to pay, and this proves that us Brits are just as dopey....Well not all of us

Girlie Assitant:

Maybe it was just a train of thought - most shop assistants in England seem to go starry-eyed when they see you live abroad.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 3:39 pm
Just Joined

FloridianAndy is an unknown quantity at this point

Last visit back to Blighty I stood there like an idiot sorting out money for the waiting shopkeeper looking at all these wiered coins and then spoke to him in my English accent, must have thought I was from the funny farm or something.
Old Dec 28th 2007, 3:43 pm
Just Joined

FloridianAndy is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm not too keen on getting into a situation where a group of people hear me talk over here in my Brit accent as I'm not exactly the most extraverted of people and hope to get through to my grave as quietly as possible!
Old Dec 29th 2007, 1:09 am
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Whenever I get a call from a call center in India/Phillipines, etc., I always ask them if they are calling from a foreign country. Ninety percent of the time they say they are calling from "San Antonio, Texas." It's the standard lie.

I then ask them "What is the capital of Texas?"

One of 3 things usually happens:

1. There is a long silence, and they hang up.
2. They say "Dallas."
3. They say "let me get my supervisor."

Since I have been asking this question, about 5 years now, I have never had a correct answer.
Old Dec 29th 2007, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

catrocks will become famous soon enoughcatrocks will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mallory
Whenever I get a call from a call center in India/Phillipines, etc., I always ask them if they are calling from a foreign country. Ninety percent of the time they say they are calling from "San Antonio, Texas." It's the standard lie.

I then ask them "What is the capital of Texas?"

One of 3 things usually happens:

1. There is a long silence, and they hang up.
2. They say "Dallas."
3. They say "let me get my supervisor."

Since I have been asking this question, about 5 years now, I have never had a correct answer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.