Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Florida, California or UK?!

Florida, California or UK?!

Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:02 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida, California or UK?!

Originally Posted by Sportychico
I was in Bonita Springs / Naples it was ok ....port charlotte got hammered a bit but not too devastating
One great thing about the UK is we really don't get that many instances of pupils going to school with guns and killing a load of their classmates, or people walking into shopping malls and just opening fire on people around.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:05 pm
Forum Regular

Sportychico is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mikelincs
One great thing about the UK is we really don't get that many instances of pupils going to school with guns and killing a load of their classmates, or people walking into shopping malls and just opening fire on people around.
no we get stabbed and have anti social behaviour to deal with...and we are the US's poodle ...Tony Blair...yes Mr Bush 3 bags full Mr Bush...Illegal war Mr Bush ....I follow ..coz we owe you billions since WW2 Mr Bush...

Look at Germany ...excellent economy, respect and no piss heads...shame we helped Russia win the war as they are prospering ....this will rile a few !

Last edited by Sportychico; Feb 11th 2014 at 5:08 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

HartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond reputeHartleyHare has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE
Go to Shagalluf, Mallorca ( or any tourist resort or City in UK) ...Its mainly 95% Brits out of control... I worked there when I was a teenager and what went on was unbelievable ...mainly brits...no respect for themselves...its our culture unfortunately[/QUOTE]

FIFY
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HartleyHare
[QUOTE
Go to Shagalluf, Mallorca ( or any tourist resort or City in UK) ...Its mainly 95% Brits out of control... I worked there when I was a teenager and what went on was unbelievable ...mainly brits...no respect for themselves...its our culture unfortunately
FIFY [/QUOTE]

THANKYOU !!!!! I worked there also
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:14 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

THANKYOU !!!!! I worked there also
That's your own post you are responding to.

Last edited by dunroving; Feb 11th 2014 at 5:19 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurley1
A real sour dough starter literally only starts with flour and water but takes wild yeast from the air. This is why a SF made starter would give a different flavour to a NY starter. Don't get me wrong at present this is purely a hobby for my husband although he does get plenty of requests for his bread and if you tasted a sour dough loaf compared to normal bread you would see a difference but each to their own. We just like to know what we are eating so only buy organic unprocessed foods. These loaves are more expensive but i think you get what you pay for in this case. Here is a link to how to see a starter: http://www.ehow.com/how_5465980_make-bread-starter.html
Being organic has got nothing to do with using yeast or not. Yeast itself can not be said to not be organic.

The link you gave is just one person's way of making bread. That "real" sourdough takes its starter's yeast only from the air is incorrect. If it was correct, it would mean that consecutive loaves that your husband (or anyone else) makes are not real. So that belief is utter fluff.

Also, note that in the link you gave, the "starter" is given at least 7 days to grow. What is happening there is that minute quantities of yeast that entered the mixture from the air are allowed to multiply over time, while at the same time being fed with additional starch, eventually reaching the quantity of yeast that will be adequate to fuel the making of bread. At the same time, any yeast or bacteria that don't love bread, which may also have gotten into the mixture die off, because the mixture keeps being fed with the fuel that the bread loving yeast like - flour, while the bread loving yeast multiply and take over.

So what you end up with in the method you describe is no different in terms of yeast content than what a conventional bread starter would contain. It's simple chemistry and microbiology.

I am a bread connoisseur by the way. I don't eat cheap bread, or just any bread. I will travel, just to buy the right bread.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:15 pm
Forum Regular

Do we OWN any car marques anymore??...No..why? couldn't run a piss up in a brewery (appropriate saying for us Brits) so had to sell them a long with our gold reserves at rock bottom price ...

Germany owns: Porsche, Audi, BMW, Mini VW....ummmmm
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:15 pm
Banned

hungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond reputehungryhorace has a reputation beyond repute

Look at Germany ...excellent economy, respect and no piss heads...shame we helped Russia win the war as they are prospering ....this will rile a few !
In reality, only America won World War II.

In practice, the allies would not have won WWII without the Soviets.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:17 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

so there isn't a drinking / binge culture in UK?...

All Tourist resorts are not full of pissed young pissed BRITS

Our state schools are not overcrowded and discipline is lacking

...our weather is fine .....

ok I m talking 'trash'
No, you're ranting on like the Daily Mail on steriods.

Binge drinking exists in the UK. It also exists in Canada, the USA, Australia and so on. It is not indicitave of the British culture as a whole but that doesn't fit your agenda, does it?

Tourist resorts are filled with the sort of people who go to tourist resorts. If you want to travel 'properly', you visit the places the locals go, not the tourists. Everyone knows that.

State schools I can't comment on. I'm from Northern Ireland, we're a small province with good schools and (this is as of 1997 when I did my A-levels) they outperformed English schools.

The weather is fine. If you can't handle a bit of rain and wind your a bit of a baby.

You are talking rubbish, trash, shite, bollocks, whatever you want to call it.

But I do so enjoy having arguments with people who aren't as smart as I am , so please carry on.

See you after lunch
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
No, you're ranting on like the Daily Mail on steriods.

Binge drinking exists in the UK. It also exists in Canada, the USA, Australia and so on. It is not indicitave of the British culture as a whole but that doesn't fit your agenda, does it?

Tourist resorts are filled with the sort of people who go to tourist resorts. If you want to travel 'properly', you visit the places the locals go, not the tourists. Everyone knows that.

State schools I can't comment on. I'm from Northern Ireland, we're a small province with good schools and (this is as of 1997 when I did my A-levels) they outperformed English schools.

The weather is fine. If you can't handle a bit of rain and wind your a bit of a baby.

You are talking rubbish, trash, shite, bollocks, whatever you want to call it.

But I do so enjoy having arguments with people who aren't as smart as I am , so please carry on.

See you after lunch
Lunch is for wimps

Last edited by Sportychico; Feb 11th 2014 at 5:37 pm.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Hurley1 will become famous soon enoughHurley1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jmood
Being organic has got nothing to do with using yeast or not. Yeast itself can not be said to not be organic.

The link you gave is just one person's way of making bread. That "real" sourdough takes its starter's yeast only from the air is incorrect. If it was correct, it would mean that consecutive loaves that your husband (or anyone else) makes are not real. So that belief is utter fluff.

Also, note that in the link you gave, the "starter" is given at least 7 days to grow. What is happening there is that minute quantities of yeast that entered the mixture from the air are allowed to multiply over time, while at the same time being fed with additional starch, eventually reaching the quantity of yeast that will be adequate to fuel the making of bread. At the same time, any yeast or bacteria that don't love bread, which may also have gotten into the mixture die off, because the mixture keeps being fed with the fuel that the bread loving yeast like - flour, while the bread loving yeast multiply and take over.

So what you end up with in the method you describe is no different in terms of yeast content than what a conventional bread starter would contain. It's simple chemistry and microbiology.

I am a bread connoisseur by the way. I don't eat cheap bread, or just any bread. I will travel, just to buy the right bread.
I agree, just like to know its homemade rather than in some factory. Just out of interest what would you pay for a good sourdough boule or baguette? They seem to sell for around $5 or $6 around here.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

The best bakeries use natural spring water which hasn't been kept in BPA leeching plastic bottles so with organic flour you can't get much more natural than this than organic veg of course. Anyway don't get me started on my natural organic lifestyle, that's a whole new subject )
I think you've just made the answer to your original question very clear. Go to live CA, Marin County in particular, you'll fit right in there.

Last edited by jmood; Feb 11th 2014 at 5:27 pm. Reason: Removed personal opinions - sorry
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

I agree, just like to know its homemade rather than in some factory. Just out of interest what would you pay for a good sourdough boule or baguette? They seem to sell for around $5 or $6 around here.
Around $5. This is in New York City and surrounds. I may pay $6 in a pinch, if I don't have time to get to my other places that I know sell it for less.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Why are folks taking issue with the fact that Brits are known to binge drink?

From hear-say and reading in papers (so not a fact, but my general knowledge), I also think that Fins are number 1 and Brits are number 2 in terms of alcohol drinking. But in terms of bad behaviour after drinking I also thought that Brits had the worst reputation in the world.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

Hurley1 will become famous soon enoughHurley1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jmood
I think you've just made the answer to your original question very clear. Go to live CA, Marin County in particular, you'll fit right in there.
No need to get nasty! I am in fact very aware if the damage chemicals and pollution do to us, why do you think cancer numbers are growing at an alarming rate! Lifestyle! Exercise every day, eat organic and unprocessed foods, don't drink alcohol, I've been vegetarian since a kid. I take offence at being called an airhead when you don't even know me, funny how people are more confident online than face to face! As I said before I don't preach my health beliefs, just answering your point here. I just choose to try an be as healthy as possible. Each to their own I guess!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.