Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Florida, California or UK?!

Florida, California or UK?!

Old Feb 11th 2014, 8:36 am
Forum Regular

Lucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Florida, California or UK?!

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
After all that, you're still in bloody England
To be fair, that might explain why he's a bit down on the UK at the moment - the current weather here is awful and enough to make those of us with even the sunniest outlooks a bit miserable!
Old Feb 11th 2014, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Lucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond reputeLucybell33 has a reputation beyond repute

To the OP - what a wonderful position to be in!

We'll be off to the Bay Area of SF in the summer, and I can't wait! I've got realistic expectations about the pros and cons of living in the US vs UK, but am just looking forward to the adventure!!

Having never been to FL, I can't add to any of the personal advice you've already had. However, if you do move to CA, I've read that artisanal bakeries, especially those serving toast are all the rage!

http://www.psmag.com/navigation/heal...d-craze-72676/
Old Feb 11th 2014, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Sportychico is an unknown quantity at this point

Guess what??...Its raining cats and dogs again, its cold and its Grey again......and i'm in 'dry' Warwickshire......Get me out of here if I can get to the motorway due to flooding and far too many cars on this small island !
Old Feb 11th 2014, 10:00 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
After all that, you're still in bloody England
I have a home in SW Florida and lived there as stated in email...hence feel well qualified to give advice to this lady.....To recap California too expensive if your budget is less than $1m - for a decent home close to coast and decent business with owner benefit of at least $150k......you need really $1.5m

The lady stated that she hasn't this budget and already has a home in South Florida...EB5 is also a non starter...

The best option is B1 / B2 - live between UK and Florida as they already have homes in both......E2 means they will have to be hands on and manage business ...im guessing they are in their 50s / 60s so is that realistic???...unlikely to spend $400k on a business.....enjoy both homes and visit California, Asia, Australia etc....great position to be in.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 10:37 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sportychico
Guess what??...Its raining cats and dogs again, its cold and its Grey again......and i'm in 'dry' Warwickshire......Get me out of here if I can get to the motorway due to flooding and far too many cars on this small island !
Sunny and blue skies in Berkshire. Blooming windy though, nearly took off when walking the dog this morning.

And Warwickshire isn't 'dry', the Midlands is one of the wettest places in England isn't it? 'Dry' is East Anglia, followed by the South East.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 10:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Flabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond reputeFlabound oneday has a reputation beyond repute

its forecast to rain in Florida too.....well on Thursday..................for a day...................just one.................and it was 80 yesterday ................and dry

I'll get me coat...................
Old Feb 11th 2014, 10:49 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday
its forecast to rain in Florida too.....well on Thursday..................for a day...................just one.................and it was 80 yesterday ................and dry

I'll get me coat...................
Lovely and sunny here in Dorset at the moment, bit of raIn earlier on, and the breeze has even dropped.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 10:54 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Sunny, blue skies in Glasgow too - I must be in the Twilight Zone!
Old Feb 11th 2014, 10:56 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, never have found out how to embed a YouTube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXatLOWjr-k&feature=kp

"Why does it always rain on me?
Is it because I lied when I was seventeen ....?"
Old Feb 11th 2014, 12:47 pm
Forum Regular

Hurley1 will become famous soon enoughHurley1 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Lucybell33
To the OP - what a wonderful position to be in!

We'll be off to the Bay Area of SF in the summer, and I can't wait! I've got realistic expectations about the pros and cons of living in the US vs UK, but am just looking forward to the adventure!!

Having never been to FL, I can't add to any of the personal advice you've already had. However, if you do move to CA, I've read that artisanal bakeries, especially those serving toast are all the rage!

http://www.psmag.com/navigation/heal...d-craze-72676/
Hi LucyBell33

Thanks for the great article on Artisan Toast, it's really interesting. My hubby is the one who is passionate about sour dough and other artisanal breads. He has been baking for several years now and created his own starter, so no yeast is used, all organic, just flour, salt and water and makes the best bread I've ever tasted. I hate the American bread, in general it all has sugar and tons of preservatives in. I think people are now starting to realise they shoul eat more heathily and that bread can be good for you, unless you have a gluten allergy of course! Anyway thanks so much for posting that great link.

Best wishes for your move, have you bought a business or got a job there? We have frends who moved to San Ramon two years ago with their two kids and they are loving it there.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Hurley1 will become famous soon enoughHurley1 will become famous soon enough

I have a home in SW Florida and lived there as stated in email...hence feel well qualified to give advice to this lady.....To recap California too expensive if your budget is less than $1m - for a decent home close to coast and decent business with owner benefit of at least $150k......you need really $1.5m

The lady stated that she hasn't this budget and already has a home in South Florida...EB5 is also a non starter...

The best option is B1 / B2 - live between UK and Florida as they already have homes in both......E2 means they will have to be hands on and manage business ...im guessing they are in their 50s / 60s so is that realistic???...unlikely to spend $400k on a business.....enjoy both homes and visit California, Asia, Australia etc....great position to be in.
Hi, we are actually in our forties and I haven't mentioned our budget or liquid assets on here. All I said was we had seen a little artisan bakery doing over 400k a year. I appreciate your thoughts and input and find everyone's different comments very helpful on here. We are not in anyway running away from the UK, we love it there and thankfully don't live near the flooded areas. We are simply looking for an adventure for the next few years and to gain some experience of living and working somewhere different. Life is too short as they say )
Old Feb 11th 2014, 1:00 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, for ****'s sake, it's just a bit of rain, stop being so bloody melodramatic.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 1:05 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Hurley1
Hi, we are actually in our forties and I haven't mentioned our budget or liquid assets on here. All I said was we had seen a little artisan bakery doing over 400k a year. I appreciate your thoughts and input and find everyone's different comments very helpful on here. We are not in anyway running away from the UK, we love it there and thankfully don't live near the flooded areas. We are simply looking for an adventure for the next few years and to gain some experience of living and working somewhere different. Life is too short as they say )
Unless you are tied to CA or FL for, say business opportunities, I'd really, really underline what others have said - Why restrict yourself to those two states? Personally, FL would be close to bottom of my list, and I've been there enough times (maybe 20-40) to have a feel for it. Regardless, there are so many other fantastic states with good weather, variable climate, inexpensive cost of living, interesting culture. I'm an east-coaster myself but have loved Colorado, parts of Oregon, etc., etc. I couldn't afford CA but if I could, I think it would be too far from the UK as someone else pointed out.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

STOP PRESS raining stopped!! I am alive!.....bloody cold though, gets right in your joints...thankfully I don't have arthritis.

Question: why do you see 70 plus yr olds in Florida riding Harley's?....why are most 70 plus's in UK stuck in a depressing care home, abandoned / dumped by their children ( this doesn't happen in China or India or Spain for that matter)

So apart from our weather, ethics, treating old folk disrespectfully, running out of money, very poor NHS, far too overcrowded and getting worse, the UK is ok and has some nice castles.
Old Feb 11th 2014, 1:52 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Hurley1
what's the owner benefit? Have you seen the BLI (business Listing Information), last 3 years tax returns?, asking price? how many staff ..1099s or W2s?..would you want to run this day in day out...long hours etc?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.