Illegal Immigrants

Old Apr 29th 2010, 11:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Illegal Immigrants

Originally Posted by Englishtart
That's a good point, I know that not all illegals are Mexican, I guess that's the fault of the media, don't often get news stories about ilegals from other Countries...I suspect that apart from over staying on a visitor visa, it's a helluva lot more difficult for a Brit too get here without a visa
In other words, it's far easier for Brits to get into the country and then just stay.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 11:32 pm
Grumpy Member

y2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to ally2b4sure is a name known to all

When we lived in TX, it bothered me more that the workers that came to work on our house couldn't speak a word of English, didn't really care if they were illegal, but I would like to be able to explain what was needed and be understood.

It really got on my tits that when you call the company, you get to speak to someone that speaks English, then when the actual workers arrive, it was all 'hand signals'

Haven't run into that too much here in IL though.

To answer the OP's question though, no, I wouldn't turn anyone in, but I wouldn't hire anyone that didn't make the effort to learn the language!
I had the exterior of my house painted once. Originally spoke with a guy with an American accent, explained what I needed done, he explained what they'd do, price etc. When the workers turned up, none could speak English, not even close. I don't know their immigration status. They worked extremely hard, friendly and did a great job.

The problem I have is that I don't believe I paid a very cheap price for the work, but I would guess that the guys doing the work didn't get paid much, but the American (I'm assuming he was an American) guy collects a tidy salary for not doing much at all really. That to me is very unfair, no cheap price for the customer, no good wages for the workers, just a guy in the middle getting paid for not doing much.

This was before the times of the AZ employer sanctions law. I don't know if the business is still going, but maybe now the American guy would have to do a bit more to remain in business.

Of course, I could be wrong and workers could be getting a good wage, but I doubt it.

Last edited by y2b4sure; Apr 29th 2010 at 11:37 pm.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
What business does a family court have enforcing federal immigration law? Answer: none at all!

I think it would be rather worrying if we cut out the right for anyone to petition a court by stating that the court would report your immigration status to the federal authorities. In a custody battle for a child, for example, custody should not be automatically assigned to the person who is here legally simply because the other parent is too scared to appear.
I agree with this 100% I have a problem with Police in some jurisdictions being required to ask about immigration status for the same reason. It's a slippery slope.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by y2b4sure
I had the exterior of my house painted once. Originally spoke with a guy with an American accent, explained what I needed done, he explained what they'd do, price etc. When the workers turned up, none could speak English, not even close. I don't know their immigration status. They worked extremely hard, friendly and did a great job.

The problem I have is that I don't believe I paid a very cheap price for the work, but I would guess that the guys doing the work didn't get paid much, but the American (I'm assuming he was an American) guy collects a tidy salary for not doing much at all really. That to me is very unfair, no cheap price for the customer, no good wages for the workers, just a guy in the middle getting paid for not doing much.

This was before the times of the AZ employer sanctions law. I don't know if the business is still going, but maybe now the American guy would have to do a bit more to remain in business.

Of course, I could be wrong and workers could be getting a good wage, but I doubt it.
Of course it's like outsourcing jobs to China, I don't notice Walmart to be that much different in terms of prices, the main difference is profitability. I've noticed the difference on American-made items and Chinese equivalents can be just a few dollars, when you import something made in China, you can mark the price up at a much higher percentage, near the American price, and make a better profit. The same thing most likely happens with these illegal day laborers as well, and I'm glad the law is already chasing them away. The whole southwest and Florida need to enact such a law
Old Apr 29th 2010, 11:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
In other words, it's far easier for Brits to get into the country and then just stay.
This is undoubtedly true as the majority are white and less subject to the kind of racial prejudice that assumes that an Hispanic must be illegal.
Old Apr 29th 2010, 11:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
This is undoubtedly true as the majority are white and less subject to the kind of racial prejudice that assumes that an Hispanic must be illegal.
I know some Brits here who were illegal for years, of course they're the first to sound off about how right the BNP is
Old Apr 29th 2010, 11:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by y2b4sure

This was before the times of the AZ employer sanctions law.
It's the same scenario for pretty much everything you want doing around here. The boss is American...the workers are from South America. Usually the foreman can speak broken English but the rest of the workers can't. We have always found them to be extremely hard working and cheerful.

We had one guy back a few weeks ago to remove a squirrel's nest in the eaves of the house...he's from Paraguay. After looking at what needed doing he came back the next morning with metal sheeting. He sealed 3 holes with the metal and then painted over it. He had to climb onto the roof of the house (3 stories) and walk from one end of the roof to the other. When my husband asked him how much he wanted he said nothing.

Every morning the workers hang around the railway station in the nearest large town to where I live. The 'bosses' drive by and pick them up...sometimes police are present...sometimes the police round the workers up...mostly they turn a blind eye.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 12:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OK this is hearsay from my neighbour but her babysitter/maid did a whole weekend of babysitting for a local movie star with five kids, the price agreed was $300. When it came time to pay, he only gave her $200. It was only because my neighbour drove up to his gated community that he sullenly, eventually agreed to hand over the rest. And the maid has a Green Card.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 12:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

That's a good point, I know that not all illegals are Mexican, I guess that's the fault of the media, don't often get news stories about ilegals from other Countries...I suspect that apart from over staying on a visitor visa, it's a helluva lot more difficult for a Brit too get here without a visa
Plenty, well most come here on VWP and just stay...or they come over on student visa and just stay....quite a lot of them around my area.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 2:46 am
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

So you believe a civil court should solve a dispute according to someone's immigration status?
was not talking about custody battles was talking about CPS who have just terminated the rights of the parent who is Illegal.. they do not come under CPS for being the greatest perent in the USA.. Usually there is some form of abuse..
Old Apr 30th 2010, 3:34 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by candy wy.
was not talking about custody battles was talking about CPS who have just terminated the rights of the parent who is Illegal.. they do not come under CPS for being the greatest perent in the USA.. Usually there is some form of abuse..
You're getting very confusing and wrapping it all up in emotion. Are you talking about a child custody case or a child abuse case? The former is civil and the latter is criminal.
Old Apr 30th 2010, 4:07 am
staying around

candy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond reputecandy wy. has a reputation beyond repute

You're getting very confusing and wrapping it all up in emotion. Are you talking about a child custody case or a child abuse case? The former is civil and the latter is criminal.
no you where the one who jumped in about child custody, but I guess with me being Female and emotional I could be wrong...

No they are both civil.. Child custody and loss of Parental rights..

and to me if they get into the system with CPS and end up in court with there parental rights being terminated even if no criminal charges have been filed then yes the courts should be informing ICE...
Old Apr 30th 2010, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

and to me if they get into the system with CPS and end up in court with there parental rights being terminated even if no criminal charges have been filed then yes the courts should be informing ICE...
So you keep saying. But you've yet to address why a civil action (which is what it is if no criminal charges are filed) should result in reporting of immigrant status?
Old Apr 30th 2010, 4:37 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

no you where the one who jumped in about child custody, but I guess with me being Female and emotional I could be wrong...

So lets say we have two parents: an undocumented alien who is a great parent and a US citizen who is a abusive toe rag. Under your unconstitutional reinterpretation of the law, the bad parent gets sole custody since the good one will be deported if they turn up at court.

You appear to subscribe whether knowing or unknowingly to the oft-heard but ridiculous mantra that undocumented aliens have no rights. It's a frightening path to go down! A fundamental human right is the option to petition a court of law -- but you've just wiped that all away. I have no idea why. Perhaps you just haven't thought it through?
Old Apr 30th 2010, 4:47 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Plenty, well most come here on VWP and just stay...or they come over on student visa and just stay....quite a lot of them around my area.
Plenty of Irish dudes in Queens, too. Come over, do some labouring or work in bars or probably more formal stuff too for a while, party on the weekends, and then go home or onto Australia or just stay.

to me if they get into the system with CPS and end up in court with there parental rights being terminated even if no criminal charges have been filed then yes the courts should be informing ICE...
There is no wrongdoing involved in a custody dispute or a family law case, necessarily.

Would it be in the best interests of the child? Even if the parent had no access rights, it might still be better if they were still around esp if there are other kids or family members.

Would the courts even necessarily have notice of parties' immigration status?

The risk might be that if you start deporting people who use the courts to resolve family law disputes, then they might be dissuaded from using the courts in the first place (either as petitioner or respondent) - which is generally A Bad Thing.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with you in principle, actually - if there are people who are Obvious Scumbags and there is a perfectly legal reason to convict them of a crime, then why shouldn't that case be heard? I'm just saying that as a blanket rule it might end up creating more problems than it solves, and - perhaps as always in life - it's in deciding who's in column A and who's in column B that is the tricky part.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.