Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Would you have come to America ...

Would you have come to America ...

Old Jul 17th 2015, 3:44 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Would you have come to America ...

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Not even that: US population = 319 million, Canada = 35 million NZ = almost 5 million, and that's pretty much your 360 million right there! Then add on the UK, Ireland, Australia, Jamaica plus a number of other Caribbean islands, so those added in will come to over another hundred million, pushing half a billion at that point.

Then add on parts of the populations of South Africa, Zimbabwe, Nigeria, Ghana, Gambia Tanzania, Uganda, Kenya, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Papua New Guinea, Belize, etc. where English is routinely spoken, not just learned as an academic exercise.
I think that 360 million only refers to those for whom English is a first language, but once you add in all the non-native speakers, considering how widespread it is as a second language, you're probably up around that 700 million that I had so spectacularly incorrectly remembered earlier
Old Jul 17th 2015, 4:03 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond reputeBipat has a reputation beyond repute

I think statistics in Wikipedia regarding English language speakers are bound to be more complicated than at first sight. It depends how you define "speakers".

Probably all the figures guessed at in the above posts are accurate for India!!
It is a language of Government and certainly private schools and universities.
It is widely spoken officially in the southern states as a rebellion against the imposition of Hindi as the official national language.

But the number who actually use English as a first language at home/in the family is estimated probably just in the 200 thousands. But this may also be inaccurate many use a mixture even in one sentence
Old Jul 17th 2015, 4:08 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I think that 360 million only refers to those for whom English is a first language, but once you add in all the non-native speakers, considering how widespread it is as a second language, you're probably up around that 700 million that I had so spectacularly incorrectly remembered earlier. ....
That sounds plausible, but I suspect very conservative. Given the size of the populations of India, Pakistan, Bangladesh and Nigeria alone, (aggregate over 1.75 billion! ), even a fairly small percentage speaking English in those four countries could add a couple of hundred million to the total.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 4:15 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat
..... But this may also be inaccurate many use a mixture even in one sentence. .....
I used to work with a number of Indians in a business that had many Indian clients and it was interesting listening to a non-English conversation, because it seemed as if just about any western object, machine, or concept had been absorbed into the language as an English word, much as English absorbs words from other languages. So sentences often contained multiple English words in a matrix of an Indian language.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

I used to work with a number of Indians in a business that had many Indian clients and it was interesting listening to a non-English conversation, because it seemed as if just about any western object, machine, or concept had been absorbed into the language as an English word, much as English absorbs words from other languages. So sentences often contained multiple English words in a matrix of an Indian language.
I used to live in Shropshire just by the border with Wales, and would occasionally pick up some Welsh language radio in the car. I noticed the same thing there - a string of Welsh words with 'television' and 'computer' in the middle of them. But the one that really fascinated me one day was 'world'. I suppose at the time when Wales was a self-contained country/language, it didn't have this concept, so didn't need a word for it.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 5:59 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bipat
I think statistics in Wikipedia regarding English language speakers are bound to be more complicated than at first sight. It depends how you define "speakers".

Probably all the figures guessed at in the above posts are accurate for India!!
It is a language of Government and certainly private schools and universities.
It is widely spoken officially in the southern states as a rebellion against the imposition of Hindi as the official national language.

But the number who actually use English as a first language at home/in the family is estimated probably just in the 200 thousands. But this may also be inaccurate many use a mixture even in one sentence
All true, but my point (partly) was that the Wikipedia article (apparently based on data from a Swedish encyclopedia published in 2007) is more inclusive for the Spanish language than for English. If you go to the links for countries that have respectively Spanish and English as an official language, the entire populations of Ecuador, Bolivia etc. are counted as Spanish speaking, but the populations of Nigeria, Pakistan etc. are NOT counted into the English speaking total...
Old Jul 17th 2015, 6:26 pm
Forum Regular

Welshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond reputeWelshgator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kodokan
I used to live in Shropshire just by the border with Wales, and would occasionally pick up some Welsh language radio in the car. I noticed the same thing there - a string of Welsh words with 'television' and 'computer' in the middle of them. But the one that really fascinated me one day was 'world'. I suppose at the time when Wales was a self-contained country/language, it didn't have this concept, so didn't need a word for it.
Y byd - The World.

Used to sing a very old song in Welsh when I was young which contains the words 'Y byd'. You'd be wrong about not having a concept of the world too. Given Wales' very ancient history of trading with European countries, dating way back before the Romans began building castles in Wales.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 8:52 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Not even that: US population = 319 million, Canada = 35 million NZ = almost 5 million, and that's pretty much your 360 million right there! Then add on the UK, Ireland, Australia, Jamaica plus a number of other Caribbean islands, so those added in will come to over another hundred million, pushing half a billion at that point.

Then add on parts of the populations of South Africa, Zimbabwe, Nigeria, Ghana, Gambia Tanzania, Uganda, Kenya, India, Pakistan, Bangladesh, Papua New Guinea, Belize, etc. where English is routinely spoken, not just learned as an academic exercise.
But not everyone in the US and Canada (not sure about NZ) speaks English, so can't exactly use the whole population of the country to count how many speak English, obviously most do, but its not 100% in either country.

Then if talking about primary or native language there is Quebec where for many Canadian French is their primary and native Language.
Old Jul 17th 2015, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
But not everyone in the US and Canada (not sure about NZ) speaks English, so can't exactly use the whole population of the country to count how many speak English, obviously most do, but its not 100% in either country.

Then if talking about primary or native language there is Quebec where for many Canadian French is their primary and native Language.
I forgot about Quebec. I would doubt that more than a tiny percentage of the US population speaks anything other than English at home - some of the Hispanics and probably a fair number of Chinese. I doubt it is more than 5% of the population overall. ..... But in any case education in the US is delivered almost exclusively in English, and perhaps it is the delivery of education that is a good test for "how much English is spoken" in any given country? ..... I move to include half the populations of the Netherlands and Denmark as "English speaking".
Old Jul 18th 2015, 2:04 am
BE Enthusiast

jeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond reputejeepster has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
The noun Polack (/ˈpoʊlɑːk/ or /-læk/; also Pollack, Pollock, Polock), in the contemporary English language, is a derogatory reference to a person of Polish descent. It is an Anglicisation of the Polish language word Polak, which can mean a Polish male person or a person of Polish nationality (feminine being Polka), with a neutral connotation. However, the English loanword "Polack" (note the spelling difference which does not appear in Polish) is considered an ethnic slur in the United States and the United Kingdom, and therefore is considered insulting in nearly all modern usages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polack
Calling a male Pole a male Pole is not an ethnic slur. You're referring to a bygone age.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welshgator
Y byd - The World.

Used to sing a very old song in Welsh when I was young which contains the words 'Y byd'. You'd be wrong about not having a concept of the world too. Given Wales' very ancient history of trading with European countries, dating way back before the Romans began building castles in Wales.
Interesting, thanks. I wonder, then, why they used 'world' in the broadcast, if there's a perfectly good Welsh word? It was used by itself, not as part of a proper noun like World Bank.

*musing* I don't suppose any people from any country pre, say, 1000 CE, had a concept of 'world' in the same way we do now. They would have known of, and visited, other countries, but would have no notion of the entire globe. I wonder what Welsh speakers of 1000+ years ago had in their heads when they said 'Y byd'? It's certainly not going to be the green and blue ball pictured from space or Mercator-projected wall map image that we might call to mind.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 2:29 am

Interesting, thanks. I wonder, then, why they used 'world' in the broadcast, if there's a perfectly good Welsh word? It was used by itself, not as part of a proper noun like World Bank.

*musing* I don't suppose any people from any country pre, say, 1000 CE, had a concept of 'world' in the same way we do now. They would have known of, and visited, other countries, but would have no notion of the entire globe. I wonder what Welsh speakers of 1000+ years ago had in their heads when they said 'Y byd'? It's certainly not going to be the green and blue ball pictured from space or Mercator-projected wall map image that we might call to mind.
Some of the translation web sites seem to indicate that byd is used for "planet" and "globe" and possibly a few other things such as "circumstances", presumably a simiar concept to "context", so "byd" does not appear to be a 1:1 equivalent to "world".
Old Jul 18th 2015, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Some of the translation web sites seem to indicate that byd is used for "planet" and "globe" and possibly a few other things such as "circumstances", presumably a simiar concept to "context", so "byd" does not appear to be a 1:1 equivalent to "world".
Well, that seems odd - I highly doubt anyone in pre-Roman times was using a word that meant planet or globe. I guess it's the translation software taking the modern usage, not how it would have been used way back then.

History and linguistics are frustrating at times.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 3:12 am

Well, that seems odd - I highly doubt anyone in pre-Roman times was using a word that meant planet or globe. I guess it's the translation software taking the modern usage, not how it would have been used way back then.
On the contrary, mankind has had an awareness of the planets, notably our neighbours Venus ans Mars, and also mercury and Saturn, since prehistoric times.
Old Jul 18th 2015, 4:30 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

On the contrary, mankind has had an awareness of the planets, notably our neighbours Venus ans Mars, and also mercury and Saturn, since prehistoric times.
And Jupiter ...

Planet itself is from the Ancient Greek aster planetes, or 'wandering star' so they've certainly been known at least in antiquity, but as you suggested long before recorded history as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.