Fitness...do you?

Old Apr 24th 2017, 9:10 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Fitness...do you?

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
I have a Gel pad on my bike saddle. It helps, and yes it is good exercise. We are lucky to live in a very small town with quiet roads to ride on.
Could always get rollers.

They're shit and horrid...but they'll work you out.
Old May 8th 2017, 9:03 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Achilles tendonitis damn it, made myself take three weeks off (hard) and restart slowly. So far back to 3/4 distance if a bit slower.
Much more to think about at 58 (nearly 59) than 20 years ago.
Old May 8th 2017, 3:33 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Achilles tendonitis damn it, made myself take three weeks off (hard) and restart slowly. So far back to 3/4 distance if a bit slower.
Better to take a little more time off than you may want for an injury, at any age.

I just got back at it properly, myself, after a rather unpleasant gout flare-up in my knee because I forgot to take my pills. Hovering around a 12:00/mile pace at the moment. A bit arse, but I was more surprised I was able to last the full distance from a 'cold start' than anything else as I was quite prepared to be ready to stop after the first mile.

We'll see how I get on tonight. Haven't done a full 5K for about a week but I've been running a mile after lifting at the gym and I've been playing soccer again, so there is running being done.
Old May 8th 2017, 3:43 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Go to a sports chiropractor, they will get this figured out for you and help stop it recurring.

I use a roller on my muscles to release tension. Well worth getting used to using one properly after exercise.

On a good note, my rowing is going really well again and now training to row in a big 8 boat. They don't capsize...... !!
Old May 30th 2017, 9:01 am

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Go to a sports chiropractor, they will get this figured out for you and help stop it recurring.

I use a roller on my muscles to release tension. Well worth getting used to using one properly after exercise.

On a good note, my rowing is going really well again and now training to row in a big 8 boat. They don't capsize...... !!
Thanks. Back to full distance and speed now. Hard to use a roller on an Achilles
tendon I would imagine.
Old May 30th 2017, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
Better to take a little more time off than you may want for an injury, at any age.

I just got back at it properly, myself, after a rather unpleasant gout flare-up in my knee because I forgot to take my pills. Hovering around a 12:00/mile pace at the moment. A bit arse, but I was more surprised I was able to last the full distance from a 'cold start' than anything else as I was quite prepared to be ready to stop after the first mile.

We'll see how I get on tonight. Haven't done a full 5K for about a week but I've been running a mile after lifting at the gym and I've been playing soccer again, so there is running being done.
The three weeks off paid, time of is a bit#h, I hate steps backward. Good to see you restarting whenever layoffs occur. I find that it is all about making yourself go just a bit beyond the comfortable, each and every month.
Old May 30th 2017, 1:22 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

The three weeks off paid, time of is a bit#h, I hate steps backward. Good to see you restarting whenever layoffs occur. I find that it is all about making yourself go just a bit beyond the comfortable, each and every month.
I've been much more consistent at the gym since I reset the counter, so to speak back at the beginning of May. Getting the squat and deadlift back up to approaching bodyweight again, which feels much better and I'm loading up more slowly on the bench press and overhead press because I'm not in a position to eat the caloric surplus to support big upper body lifts.

Running is getting better, though I stupidly tried running on Saturday after the gym, with very little food in me. I just ran out of steam 2.75 miles in

The most important part is remembering my bloody pills though. Even a couple of days missed can lead to some kind of gouty flare up in my feet or knees and that just sets me back all over again.
Old May 30th 2017, 1:33 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks. Back to full distance and speed now. Hard to use a roller on an Achilles
tendon I would imagine.
Rollers are for use on muscles.

Look after your muscles (warm up and use a roller) and you are MUCH less likely to end up with tendonitis.

Blog | You need to be foam rolling!
Old May 30th 2017, 5:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Down 24 pounds since Feb 27th. I do think long term the exercise via work does more harm then good.
Old May 31st 2017, 9:15 am

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I've been much more consistent at the gym since I reset the counter, so to speak back at the beginning of May. Getting the squat and deadlift back up to approaching bodyweight again, which feels much better and I'm loading up more slowly on the bench press and overhead press because I'm not in a position to eat the caloric surplus to support big upper body lifts.

Running is getting better, though I stupidly tried running on Saturday after the gym, with very little food in me. I just ran out of steam 2.75 miles in

The most important part is remembering my bloody pills though. Even a couple of days missed can lead to some kind of gouty flare up in my feet or knees and that just sets me back all over again.
2.75 miles, thats like 22 minutes, right? Never had gout just Plantar Fasciitis and achilles tendinitis...along with the now and then knee pain etc...all in passing so far
Old May 31st 2017, 1:49 pm
I have a comma problem

2.75 miles, thats like 22 minutes, right?
More like 31 minutes

Maybe when I'm down closer to 180 (if I ever get there ) I'll be able to manage an 8 minute mile. Right now, that's not on the cards.

Never had gout just Plantar Fasciitis and achilles tendinitis...along with the now and then knee pain etc...all in passing so far
I take medicine to manage my uric acid levels so for the most part it's managed but if I forget to take a pill for a day or two there is a chance it'll flare up in my toe or knee and it's a complete bitch when it does.
Old Jun 1st 2017, 2:14 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Yes, I've had several instances of coccyx inflammation in my life, all due to rented bicycles with uncomfortable saddles...usually too high. Now I make sure I can touch the ground firmly with both feet on any bike I ride.

But I love cycling! It's fantastic exercise.
I ride ~200-250 miles per week and have since the late eighties. Tips on avoiding a sore taint:
1. Soft squishy saddles actually increase pressure on sensitive tissues as you sink into them. You want your "sit bones" to bear the weight, not your taint. Gel pads are a bad idea, minimally padded saddles are generally more comfortable. The key is to get a shape that works for you. If you ride a lot, finding the correct saddle is a lengthy trial and error process similar to finding the right running shoes. I found the one that works for me years ago and have installed the same model on all of my bikes.
2. Lowering the saddle may seem more comfortable but it's generally a bad idea. Riding with a low saddle decreases the effective strength of your legs and as a result increases pressure on your butt and decreases comfort. Also, riding around with too low a saddle is very tiring and inefficient. The most common thing I see on novice cyclists is that they're riding with the saddle way, way too low. Generally this is because people feel "safer" when they're able to put a foot down without getting off the saddle. It's a good idea to work on this and slowly raise the saddle. Ideally, you want the saddle as high as possible, you want you knee to almost lock on the bottom of the pedal stroke. This again is something experienced cyclists are fanatical about, there are many ways to calculate your correct saddle height.
3. Riding in a very upright position (for example, your handlebars are higher than your saddle) increases pressure by forcing your butt to bear all of your weight. Lowering the bars reduces pressure by shifting some of the weight to your hands and arms. Again, novice cyclists typically don't like riding around in a bent over position as it feels uncomfortable initially. In the long run (after a couple of weeks) it's actually far more comfortable.
4. Bike shorts are about reducing chafing, not about padding. Again, thick pads are counter intuitively less comfortable.
Old Jun 2nd 2017, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Smartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond reputeSmartyy has a reputation beyond repute

Wife and I just got bikes so we can go on daily bike rides around the neighborhood.

I came to the epiphany the other day that all I do is eat terrible food and don't exercise. Times are changing on my front. Bike rides, free gym with my college tuition so I am going to start taking advantage of it.
Old Jun 4th 2017, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Maste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond reputeMaste has a reputation beyond repute

Jump rope 5 times a week, weight training 3 times a week and 2 5km runs a week. I'd recommend investing in a jump rope guys, brilliant piece of cheap kit and a great workout!
Old Jun 6th 2017, 9:41 am

Originally Posted by Maste
Jump rope 5 times a week, weight training 3 times a week and 2 5km runs a week. I'd recommend investing in a jump rope guys, brilliant piece of cheap kit and a great workout!
Yes but a jump rope requires coordination.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.