Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK > The Rovers Return
Reload this Page >

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Old Dec 16th 2008, 5:41 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just returned to UK to film for TV prog....initial thoughts

Originally Posted by aasmith1957
ive enjoyed reading this thread,but you all take things so personally.every country experiences the same things in their society. i would hate to see all of you in a room having a few drinks discussing this thread.after a while cops would be called in and most would be hauled off to the cop shop and called chavs.just my opinion of course. on the other hand maybe you would all sit around wondering what to say when face to face with one another. how many havent done any of the following.drink,smoke,eat a bit too much,have been unemployed,single parent etc etc.its just her opinion and how ezzie percieves things.have a nice day everyone and a merry christmas to all of you wherever you may be.

Honestly I'm amazed at you and Capeblue. This is only a forum therefore it's just a sounding board where all the normal boundaries are removed. That's why etiquette goes out of the window sometimes and heated passion sometimes takes over. In a face to face situation, we'd all apply our usual self restraint and conduct ourselves more reservedly.
I don't take this forum as serious or real life, it's more a reflection of peoples thoughts, emotions and curent issues as well as them thinking out loud sometimes.
Plus it's a safe place to have a pasionate debate for the very reason that we cannot go and slap someone just because we disagree with them.
It's funny, entertaining and often it can be kind as much as it can be rude but for Heavens sake, it is ONLY a place where most people say what they think, then go about their daily lives. It's not life changing or policy making.
I am surprised that anyone takes it so seriously.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 5:43 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Cape Blue;7071500]Just spent a bit of time looking through this thread.

I find a few of ezzie's comments somewhat sensationalist in the Daily Mail style, together with some sweeping generalizations that might not represent British life as whole. In general however I have found the "blog" reasonably balanced, quite interesting and ezzie appears to have tried to show the good and the bad (even if I do not always agree with the generalizations of the bad). It will certainly get an audience of BE crew when it airs! Ezzie - you'll have to post a reminder thread the week before.

What has spoilt the thread somewhat is not the disagreeing with ezzies posts using factual data to support contradictory positions, but the ad hominem digs that started around the time the son had a curry and beers (or not).

[QUOTE]

Nothing wrong with disagreeing with others posts (I do a little of it myself) - it keeps the forum lively and encourages debate, I'm not sure that saying:

"I suggest you take your brood back to Sydney and stay there",

"believe your kids are such angels and far superior to English kids then its best you keep them locked up over here",

"High time you got your hoity toity opinionated self back on a plane to upmarket Sydney and stop moaning on about Britain",

or,
"I dont give a flyng toss whether you like, respect or dislike me Ezzie"

is really sensible argument about the points raised or more of a personal dig at the poster because you know don't like their critique of the UK. These sort of comments weaken your arguments and make your own decisions to head to the UK look as irrational as some of the posts about how bad the UK is.

As you were.

I stand by every one of my comments. I do believe she will be better off remaining in Australia if she continues with the belief that her children are in some way superior to all the others and that is what she was implying. They will be in for a tough time with that attitude, just as they would be taking that same attitude and coming here as an immigrant.
I did not use abusive language or name calling, that is just how i see it and i do not dress up and use insinuating language and posts, I will get straight to the point.
Ezzie uses a far more underhand and immature way of "having a dig" as you put it. She refuses to answer anything from those who question her claims.
I think she should do all this in a blog and not on a debating forum. She has no intention of opening any of it up for debate and question, but merely to smooth her own ego and voice HER opinion and rudely ignoring anyone elses.
I dont need to add facts and figures to my arguement as a lot of it is not about facts and figures, more supposed situations that her family have experienced.
Like it or not, i believe she is totally exaggerating a lot of her posts for the benefit of stirring stuff up. I have spent 9 of the last 14mths living in the UK. I did not have half the issues she seems to have had in a matter of a few weeks.
A muslim boy who picks a fight with her in his place of work in front of the public weeks before christmas? You think?
As i also said earlier, there are passive aggressive tactics at work on this thread that you and quite a few others are not aware of. All this would have been avoided had Ezzie opted to explain and engage on the challenges and disagreements many of us have had, but no, she decided to create an air of superiority, wind it up and carry it on. Thats why I stopped posting in reply to some of the garbage she has written.

I am not answering for Cricket i am answering for myself.

Like it or lump it, thats my honest opinion.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 5:49 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorna at Vicenza
Hi there .....

well the weekend passed in a rather sleepy and boozy way as we were invited to one lunch and dinner after another to say "bye" and "happy Christmas" to folks and for the kids to exchange a few gifts.

We fly to the UK on Sunday and return January 5th.

Last week I kept putting off errands as it rained night and day. It is STILL bloody raining night and day but I can't put anything off any longer...... and I'm only drinking water this week !
Detoxing in time for the onslaught eh. I know so many people who are going 'home' for Xmas this year. It seems there's a mass exodus of expats all of a sudden. Wish I had booked to go now. I am praying for a cooler Xmas than last year, even if only by a few degrees, in fact, I'd love it to rain all day.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 6:27 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
Detoxing in time for the onslaught eh. I know so many people who are going 'home' for Xmas this year. It seems there's a mass exodus of expats all of a sudden. Wish I had booked to go now. I am praying for a cooler Xmas than last year, even if only by a few degrees, in fact, I'd love it to rain all day.
Yeah - I have to stay sober this week. I put off so many errands last week as it was raining night and day and never stopped. It still is raining night and day but I can't out the errands off any longer. (I can't remember such a wet winter here before).

Last stop on Saturday will be to the shop to buy 5 massive lumps of parmesan cheese. 5 big packets of Parma ham. 2 bottles of extra virgin olive oil, a bottle of whiskey and 200 cigs.

If my family keep on making requests there'll be no room in the cases for our clothes !

Swap you a day of rain for a day of sunshine !
Old Dec 16th 2008, 6:28 am

Lorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond reputeLorna at Vicenza has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh --- drinking only tea and already I'm repeating myself
Old Dec 16th 2008, 6:48 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Fleaflyfloflum;7071574][QUOTE=Cape Blue;7071500]Just spent a bit of time looking through this thread.

I find a few of ezzie's comments somewhat sensationalist in the Daily Mail style, together with some sweeping generalizations that might not represent British life as whole. In general however I have found the "blog" reasonably balanced, quite interesting and ezzie appears to have tried to show the good and the bad (even if I do not always agree with the generalizations of the bad). It will certainly get an audience of BE crew when it airs! Ezzie - you'll have to post a reminder thread the week before.

What has spoilt the thread somewhat is not the disagreeing with ezzies posts using factual data to support contradictory positions, but the ad hominem digs that started around the time the son had a curry and beers (or not).

I stand by every one of my comments. I do believe she will be better off remaining in Australia if she continues with the belief that her children are in some way superior to all the others and that is what she was implying. They will be in for a tough time with that attitude, just as they would be taking that same attitude and coming here as an immigrant.
I did not use abusive language or name calling, that is just how i see it and i do not dress up and use insinuating language and posts, I will get straight to the point.
Ezzie uses a far more underhand and immature way of "having a dig" as you put it. She refuses to answer anything from those who question her claims.
I think she should do all this in a blog and not on a debating forum. She has no intention of opening any of it up for debate and question, but merely to smooth her own ego and voice HER opinion and rudely ignoring anyone elses.
I dont need to add facts and figures to my arguement as a lot of it is not about facts and figures, more supposed situations that her family have experienced.
Like it or not, i believe she is totally exaggerating a lot of her posts for the benefit of stirring stuff up. I have spent 9 of the last 14mths living in the UK. I did not have half the issues she seems to have had in a matter of a few weeks.
A muslim boy who picks a fight with her in his place of work in front of the public weeks before christmas? You think?
As i also said earlier, there are passive aggressive tactics at work on this thread that you and quite a few others are not aware of. All this would have been avoided had Ezzie opted to explain and engage on the challenges and disagreements many of us have had, but no, she decided to create an air of superiority, wind it up and carry it on. Thats why I stopped posting in reply to some of the garbage she has written.

I think the posters who have jumped to Ezzie's defence in all honesty are insulting her intelligence by suggesting she takes any criticism or disagreeing comments seriously. She writes intelligently and enthusiastically albeit in the adopted style of Hyacinth Bouquet. We Brits are notorious for debating issues and arguing by insulting each other. We are known for this devious and mischievous banter as much as we are known for our courtesy and politeness.
I enjoyed reading Ezzie's post but like others, I have taken issue with some of the down the nose and snobbish reports that stand out from her posts. Do I think Ezzie cares? No of course she doesn't. We don't matter because we are faceless, we can't affect her, it's just words on a computer.
Likewise, whatever Ezzie writes can only be real life to her and as we don't know her, it can't be real to us because it's not a shared, real experience.

It's like reading a book that gets good and bad reviews.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 7:14 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah - I have to stay sober this week. I put off so many errands last week as it was raining night and day and never stopped. It still is raining night and day but I can't out the errands off any longer. (I can't remember such a wet winter here before).

Last stop on Saturday will be to the shop to buy 5 massive lumps of parmesan cheese. 5 big packets of Parma ham. 2 bottles of extra virgin olive oil, a bottle of whiskey and 200 cigs.

If my family keep on making requests there'll be no room in the cases for our clothes !

I'd swap you a whole year if it were possible.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 8:28 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

wow what a thread

very entertaining
Old Dec 16th 2008, 8:46 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by asher
wow what a thread

very entertaining
Hey!! outta here you little minx!
Old Dec 16th 2008, 8:50 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Hey!! outta here you little minx!
why it's sooo interesting all the pizza and popcorn are gone
Old Dec 16th 2008, 8:50 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lothianlad
The R's in Gloucestershire speak as opposed to the Rs in Scottish speak and Welsh speak.......there really is a difference.

As a Scot I had to confirm my belief that Cloucestershire is really in the South West of England, if not actually in the West Country proper....maybe it is, but I need to be advised of this by some English person. The general accent typically associated with that region down there includes Rs which are essentially rhotic in nature, very similar to the American version. Indeed the present day rhoticism of the general American accent has its origins in the West Country of England for the most part, as it was from there that the first settlers from this country set sail to the New World.

The Rs produced by the Scots and the Welsh are actually rolled by trilling the tongue, unlike the West Country version, hence the difference in sound.

A Scotsman would pronounce the name Tobermory (a wee Scottish village on the Island of Mull) a whole lot differently than a person from Gloucestershire.

As for those negative statistics relating to the current social scene in the UK I referred to in an earlier post, and which were queried by another Forum member, all I would say that you need only look up all the information contained in pan European websites relating to teenage pregnancies, abortions, divorce, single mothers, juvenile crime, child poverty, low educational achievements, illiteracy and anti social behaviour, including alcohol and drug abuse, not to mention widespread indiscriminate littering and despoliation of the environment, then the United Kingdom tops the league in all of these factors.

I defy anyone to prove otherwise.

Just look at some of the daytime shows on UK TV to see it all in graphic detail - the very worst of British society. Admittedly a minority, but as ever the minority gets all the publicity, but unfortunately over the past eleven years (since 1997 as a focal point on the calendar) or so further statistics have shown the minority growing in numbers quite noticeably in the UK.

As I said before, all of Ezzie's posts have produced some of the most interesting and absorbing of reading in the entire Forum.
Well walking around many parts of the UK and seeing the large amount of single mothers, teenage pregnancies and broken marraiges etc I would not be surprised if your statement were not correct but then again I would imagine countries like USA to have similiar figures on this anyway. Juvenile crime I hear about all the time, so that is no suprise and I won`t start mentioning the hoodie culture on here as some may get upset But this is a situation that in many ways is unique to the UK. Not so sure on the child poverty thing though but I imagine you are talking just in relation to first world countries here? I know that educational achievements in the UK are falling but it still does remain a very popular location for overseas students. Anti social behaviour in the UK I imagine to be very high along with alcohol abuse of which the UK is known for, well certainly in Europe anyway. Think you`ll find though, that other countries like USA and Canada etc come out higher on drug abuse. If you are comparing the UK to other northern european countries in littering and despoliation of the environment then you have a definate case but the UK is far cleaner than say Spain where people literally chuck rubbish everywhere and have little regard for the environment but saying that the local councils here do a reasonable job of cleaning urban and turistic areas. Also graffiti levels here are far higher than the UK.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 8:52 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

Jules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond reputeJules Europe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: An interesting day at the shopping centre!

Gosh I don't remember that.
I don't remember writing that post either
You sound like an anglo saxon male here the morning after.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 8:54 am
I don't give a damn

Originally Posted by asher
why it's sooo interesting all the pizza and popcorn are gone
No its not, i stashed some under the sofa
Old Dec 16th 2008, 8:55 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

All sounds very nice, I`d come and eat at your house any time but no smoking please.
Old Dec 16th 2008, 8:58 am
Weirdo Latin Dude

[QUOTE=Fleaflyfloflum;7071574][QUOTE=Cape Blue;7071500]Just spent a bit of time looking through this thread.

Spoken like a true warrior and defiant to the end.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.