Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Dubai debt skips - the facts only please

Dubai debt skips - the facts only please

Old Oct 27th 2011, 6:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dubai debt skips - the facts only please

Originally Posted by Bahtatboy
That always got me, too, when I studied economics several decades ago. And yet the same mistaken premise is still being used--a 2.5% reduction in VAT in the belief that what people save in VAT they'll spend, and that from a Chancellor of the Exchequer. And the Japanese did something similar some years ago (although in a rather more tangible way), and the overriding response was to stuff the excess under the futon (in many cases, literally).

I've forgotten most of the Adam Smith I studied, so those of you who manage to combine common sense with economic theory, what would happen if every country in the world simultaneously printed and gave to every citizen, say, USD25k, or even USD100k? Would the risk of instability be mitigated by the universiality of the action and the short to medium-term reduction in unemployment, or would it just cause rampant inflation everywhere? Answers on a postcard...
That presumes we could afford a postcard if such actions were taken...
Old Oct 29th 2011, 4:09 am
Just Joined

Tinkerbelly is an unknown quantity at this point

God you guys are boring. It's like a contest of who has the biggest balls. Yes, I suppose we are spoiled little brats who have had everything handed to us on a platter and want more, more, more. But I would just like to say that I did do my research into this place, it was NOT a blind move. I do wish to pay the money back, something which I would be able to do via the internet from any other country. But it seems here that they want all or nothing. It is the consequence that I fear, not the responsibility.

I do not want your opinions on how I am uneducated in the ways of living abroad. You are not the holy grail just because you have managed to live away from the uk for the past 30 years in umpteen different countries. If you want to live in a country that has such a backward and in some ways inhumane way of treating people who are not the correct skin colour then go ahead my friends. Well done. Gold star for you. I'll most likely be signing out of here, so replies are welcome but will be unread. Ooo that made a smug little smile spread across my face. I can practically see you all now, seething at your computer screens living your amazing expat lives. (sad)

Get down off your high horses guys, you're really not that great just because you don't have debt. You're probably in a very low percentile of the population. I'm sure though that one of you will be feverishly looking up percentages as I speak!

Cheerio luvs
Old Oct 29th 2011, 6:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond reputeOleJanx has a reputation beyond repute

Bon Voyage! Go gently into that night...
Old Oct 29th 2011, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

I reckon thats a treble credit card , car loan , housing loan , ex Barasti dweller .
Old Jan 1st 2012, 2:30 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tinkerbelly
God you guys are boring. It's like a contest of who has the biggest balls. Yes, I suppose we are spoiled little brats who have had everything handed to us on a platter and want more, more, more. But I would just like to say that I did do my research into this place, it was NOT a blind move. I do wish to pay the money back, something which I would be able to do via the internet from any other country. But it seems here that they want all or nothing. It is the consequence that I fear, not the responsibility.

I do not want your opinions on how I am uneducated in the ways of living abroad. You are not the holy grail just because you have managed to live away from the uk for the past 30 years in umpteen different countries. If you want to live in a country that has such a backward and in some ways inhumane way of treating people who are not the correct skin colour then go ahead my friends. Well done. Gold star for you. I'll most likely be signing out of here, so replies are welcome but will be unread. Ooo that made a smug little smile spread across my face. I can practically see you all now, seething at your computer screens living your amazing expat lives. (sad)

Get down off your high horses guys, you're really not that great just because you don't have debt. You're probably in a very low percentile of the population. I'm sure though that one of you will be feverishly looking up percentages as I speak!

Cheerio luvs
You completely misunderstand the situation - as is evident from your post.

1. Of course they "want all or nothing"! WTF do you think? I tell you what, you lend me a Tenner and I will give you back 50p. Same level of insult chum.

2. We all have debts, but we can manage them. You obviously cannot. Allowing you into the ME is like giving a monkey a Ferrari to drive. I could clear my meager debts overnight - but then I don't have a Porsche, because I live within my means. You openly admitted to being irresponsible in your first post, and a desire not to pay your debts: "In all honesty I don't want to pay back the money-insert petulant pout face here.". You also admitted that your mother (god help us) would be unhappy about your spending habits.....

3. I assume it's me you are bitching about re 30 years. I have managed to stay out of jail and not piss off the locals in all that time. You have managed to ruin the reputation of British expats in what - 3 years? Go back to stacking shelves in tescos or selling second hand cars or whatever. You simply ruin it for the people who work hard and follow the rules.

4. Didi you have to go to Dubai to find out what it's was like? The "inhumane treatment" etc. if so you are an even bigger fool than you sound. The Dubai situation has been well known for 40 years, and the former Trucial Scouts etc knew it before then. It's not our fault you don't know what you are doing, and yet your stupidity simply tarnishes everyone else.

You are a disgrace to expats. Your greed and inexperience let us all down.

Last edited by slapphead_otool; Jan 1st 2012 at 3:04 am.
Old Jan 1st 2012, 2:35 am
Not allowed opinions.

slapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond reputeslapphead_otool has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vikingman
What does this have to do with DUBAI
The thread is about debt....
Old Jan 1st 2012, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

co durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond reputeco durham boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by slapphead_otool

1. Of course they "want all or nothing"! WTF do you think? I tell you what, you lend me a Tenner and I will give you back 50p. Same level of insult chum.

2. We all have debts, but we can manage them. You obviously cannot. Allowing you into the ME is like giving a monkey a Ferrari to drive. I could clear my meager debts overnight - but then I don't have a Porsche, because I live within my means. You openly admitted to being irresponsible in your first post, and a desire not to pay your debts: "In all honesty I don't want to pay back the money-insert petulant pout face here.". You also admitted that your mother (god help us) would be unhappy about your spending habits.....

3. I assume it's me you are bitching about re 30 years. I have managed to stay out of jail and not piss off the locals in all that time. You have managed to ruin the reputation of British expats in what - 3 years? Go back to stacking shelves in tescos or selling second hand cars or whatever. You simply ruin it for the people who work hard and follow the rules.

4. Didi you have to go to Dubai to find out what it's was like? The "inhumane treatment" etc. if so you are an even bigger fool than you sound. The Dubai situation has been well known for 40 years, and the former Trucial Scouts etc knew it before then. It's not our fault you don't know what you are doing, and yet your stupidity simply tarnishes everyone else.

That tells you everything about this thread , bang on the money and bang to rights !
Old Jan 1st 2012, 1:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Superb response from Slapphead to a poster who joined in October, and left five minutes later......
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 4:28 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Having skipped pages 3-9 in an attempt to stave off the trolls, I was wondering (as someone who maybe moving to Dubai this year) if there is a company that specializes in flogging all the luxury 4x4s people like Tinkertroll left abandoned at the airport before legging it? Would / should be cheaper than going to a dealer, no?

And well said Slaphead.... Best post I've read all year!!
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond reputeTockalosh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ededed
Having skipped pages 3-9 in an attempt to stave off the trolls, I was wondering (as someone who maybe moving to Dubai this year) if there is a company that specializes in flogging all the luxury 4x4s people like Tinkertroll left abandoned at the airport before legging it? Would / should be cheaper than going to a dealer, no?

Dont dare move to Dubai instead of Bahrain, I am all excited about my skottle braai coming. By the way, cars are cheaper in Dubai than Bahrain but we have loads of 1980's pimp mobiles still on the road which do add to the character of the place
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 8:05 pm

ededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond reputeededed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tockalosh
Dont dare move to Dubai instead of Bahrain, I am all excited about my skottle braai coming. By the way, cars are cheaper in Dubai than Bahrain but we have loads of 1980's pimp mobiles still on the road which do add to the character of the place
Ha - don't worry, I'd be in BAH often enough to pack one in the hand luggage for you.

Had a lekkkkker braai last night, beer chicken and some Karoo lamb chops. Washed down with a gallon of Amstel. World class. No tear gas, but the wife had a jalfrezi the night before which made my eyes water.
Old Jan 2nd 2012, 11:42 pm
Not allowed opinions.

Errrr - its Jan 3rd.....
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 1:50 am

Errrr - its Jan 3rd.....
Errrr, that was kinda the joke...
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 2:50 am
womble

OriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond reputeOriginalSunshine has a reputation beyond repute

Errrr, that was kinda the joke...
even more funny now
Old Jan 3rd 2012, 7:06 am
Not allowed opinions.

Originally Posted by OriginalSunshine
even more funny now
I never said I was bright.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.