Citizenship Application Timeline

Old Aug 9th 2021, 6:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

OrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond reputeOrangeMango has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship Application Timeline

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Yes you can leave - but you will need to be prepared to return at short notice - and give an address where someone can open the mail (in Canada) to notify you of anything from them (you will have limited time to respond). See the link below

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...qnum=911&top=5
I think even back then, it was legally allowed to leave Canada, during the time the citizenship application is in process, provided that it's more than 3 years you've legally been in the country. However, I didn't challenge that one, or even dare to leave during the application process. That is unless there is an immediate family reason or something other urgent to do.

I also heard of people planning to leave Canada while their citizenship application was in process only to return for the exam and the ceremony. Apparently that was or probably still is legal, even though it doesn't seem fair.
Old Aug 11th 2021, 5:46 pm
Just Joined

HoopHoop is on a distinguished road

Yes you can leave - but you will need to be prepared to return at short notice - and give an address where someone can open the mail (in Canada) to notify you of anything from them (you will have limited time to respond). See the link below

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpce...qnum=911&top=5
Thanks for the reply and information Siouxie
I appreciate it. Yes I thought I could leave for a short
amount of time, just wasn't sure if I had to actually
inform the authorities

Thanks again
Old Aug 16th 2021, 8:04 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sharkus
A good point about online vs paper.

The status page current displays this at the very top:

Then onto the main section:

I know someone who submitted their application online (they were not invited, they happened upon the link to apply online - I am curious as to how people would be randomly selected to apply for citizenship online, how do they know who to invite?) before that date, and they have not received an AOR. As others have said, it is just a waiting game, and there is nothing that can be done about it. It is impressive that some have got through the process extremely quickly. I posted my application on 3rd August 2011, it arrived on August 8th 2011, and they sent out a letter on the same date acknowledging receipt of my application. They started processing the application Feb 1st 2012. They sent out the letter inviting me to the citizenship test on June 15th 2012. Thus it took nearly a year from them acknowledging receipt of the application to sending out the invite for the test. Granted this was quite a few years ago now
I applied online February 2021. Found some links floating around about it at the time. Did some questionnaire to see if I was eligible to apply online and it said yes so I went with it. Heard nothing as of yet. No AOR or such. Plenty of other people applying around that time have got AORs recently so hopefully not too long for me.
This spreadsheet may prove useful for comparing timelines. Seems to be run by some people on the CanadaVisa.com forums where I also have an account.
Old Aug 17th 2021, 9:38 pm
PottsyJ

Joepottinger is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I have been through the whole process from work permits to now citizenship application (which has only been possible because of the people on here). I submitted my application for citizenship back in mid May using the online format.

I noticed on my old gckey account that it says my username has been revoked. With me submitting using the online format for citizenship is there a way to link my application to a new account? I realized when I submitted the application i did not receive a confirmation but did receive a confirmation of payment so not sure what to do here.

If this post is better suited for somewhere else please let me know and I can move it.

Thank you.
Old Aug 18th 2021, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joepottinger
Hi all,

I have been through the whole process from work permits to now citizenship application (which has only been possible because of the people on here). I submitted my application for citizenship back in mid May using the online format.

I noticed on my old gckey account that it says my username has been revoked. With me submitting using the online format for citizenship is there a way to link my application to a new account? I realized when I submitted the application i did not receive a confirmation but did receive a confirmation of payment so not sure what to do here.

If this post is better suited for somewhere else please let me know and I can move it.

Thank you.
When did you apply? Maybe there hasn’t been enough time yet for them to send the AOR. Seems to be taking close to six months right now.
Old Aug 18th 2021, 3:52 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Joepottinger
Hi all,

Thank you.
I experienced the same sort of thing. GCKey thing not working, confirmation of payment email but no email saying my application was actually submitted (did get a screen at the time in the browser saying it had been submitted successfully though).

Not to worry, you'll get an AOR email at some point (I got mine yesterday after applying in February 2021). It has your UCI and Citizenship application number on it. You need these two pieces of info to sign up on this page. Yes, yet another place to sign up for something government related. Note: it didn't work the day I received the AOR email. You may find you have to wait til the following day like I did for it to recognise your information.

After you've signed up they email you a 6 digit code to verify yourself. It goes to the email address you used when you applied for citizenship.

Once you sign in it shows you the status of your application like in my attached image. Hopefully this helps.

Last edited by orly; Aug 18th 2021 at 3:56 pm.
Old Aug 19th 2021, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Then… to add to Orlys post….you wait, and wait and wait. When you think you’re done waiting…you wait some more!
Old Aug 19th 2021, 2:34 am
The ride never ends

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Then… to add to Orlys post….you wait, and wait and wait. When you think you’re done waiting…you wait some more!
Already a few people from January and February 2021 getting their test invites and stuff so hopefully not.
Old Aug 20th 2021, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by orly
Already a few people from January and February 2021 getting their test invites and stuff so hopefully not.
Applied 23 months ago. Still not done. Some people seem to slip through the net. When it drags on like this it feels like it’s going on forever.
Old Aug 21st 2021, 6:41 pm
PottsyJ

I experienced the same sort of thing. GCKey thing not working, confirmation of payment email but no email saying my application was actually submitted (did get a screen at the time in the browser saying it had been submitted successfully though).

Not to worry, you'll get an AOR email at some point (I got mine yesterday after applying in February 2021). It has your UCI and Citizenship application number on it. You need these two pieces of info to sign up on this page. Yes, yet another place to sign up for something government related. Note: it didn't work the day I received the AOR email. You may find you have to wait til the following day like I did for it to recognise your information.

After you've signed up they email you a 6 digit code to verify yourself. It goes to the email address you used when you applied for citizenship.

Once you sign in it shows you the status of your application like in my attached image. Hopefully this helps.
thank you so much for that response. That is a huge help and good to know im not alone there.

Thank you for all the advice and information.

Old Aug 21st 2021, 6:44 pm
PottsyJ

When did you apply? Maybe there hasn’t been enough time yet for them to send the AOR. Seems to be taking close to six months right now.
I applied in May using the online method. It made it sound like I should have received an application confirmation right away but I never did. Knowing people from February are only receiving now gives me confidence that the application got submitted okay.

Thank you.
Old Sep 1st 2021, 2:30 pm
The ride never ends

Applied 23 months ago. Still not done. Some people seem to slip through the net. When it drags on like this it feels like it’s going on forever.
Have you contacted them to see what issue there is, if any?
I got my background check completed notification yesterday. Took barely 2 weeks.
Old Sep 1st 2021, 6:23 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Have you contacted them to see what issue there is, if any?
I got my background check completed notification yesterday. Took barely 2 weeks.
Did you apply on paper by mail or with the new online portal? Do you mean 2 weeks from AOR? (i.e. 6 months since you applied) ?

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 1st 2021 at 6:25 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2021, 4:23 am
The ride never ends

Did you apply on paper by mail or with the new online portal? Do you mean 2 weeks from AOR? (i.e. 6 months since you applied) ?
Online, 2 weeks since AOR.
Old Sep 3rd 2021, 1:57 pm
PottsyJ

Received my AOR today. Online application submitted back in April 2021. I am guessing itll be a long process from here but some good news.

Thanks all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.